• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Gruden says the “clock’s ticking” on Griffin

BGO

Two years ago, Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III took the NFL by storm with a combination of running and passing that kept defenses off balance and guessing all year long.* Until he was injured while running. Since then, an effort has been made to make Griffin more of a passer and less of a runner.*…
b.gif

More...

Wow, ****ing brutal and spot on

Wow.

This isn't the usual Florio hack-job. This is quote after quote of the Head Coach of the Washington Redskins literally gutting Griffin.

So, my first question is - if Gruden is purporting to believe criticism should be managed in house, and apologized for violating that edict himself already once this week, how in the hell does this kind of interview/commentary fit into that model?

Maybe Gruden is trying to apply max pressure to Griffin in some kind of last ditch effort to wake him up. My sense though, is that this isn't the way to motivate Griffin. I don't believe Griffin is 'fragile' - but I do believe (and I've validated this over 30 years of management and leadership experience) that every cat is different and has to be motivated a little differently. I think Griffin, for right or wrong, is the kind of guy that needs support, expressed confidence, and to feel secure to perform well. I think he'd respond a lot better to Gruden pulling him in and having heart to hearts with him. 'We're in this together', 'You're my guy but we have to get this fixed', that kind of approach. Maybe Gruden's already tried all that - none of us know. But honestly, this sounds like a head coach who's going out of his way to create a crisis. I almost wish he'd just demote Griffin now and move on with Colt. Because it sounds like that's what he wants to do. I understand Griffin has looked beyond shaky. But I also think it's awfully early on in the Gruden era to give up on a guy you gave up a year's worth of draft picks to get, and who has shown the kind of natural ability Griffin has. And what kind of a wizard coach are you if you can't take the kind of talent Griffin has and find a way to help him be successful? No kind of coach if you ask me.

I find this interview, in light of the week's drama, pretty astounding. I have to wonder what Gruden is thinking putting all this out there?

The other possibility is that Gruden has already decided this job really isn't for him and wants to get the **** out. This is the kind of public statement that can move the situation in that direction...

And I'm sorry, but Gruden=McCoy : Spurrier=Danny Wuerfel

I don't think he was being a dick or mean..I think he hit the nail right on its head. It's like when someone tells me I'm being an asshole and I know it but haven't been told in a long time. It can wake you up and snap you back in to what's important and what you love.

Hopefully that's what's happening here. Hopefully he isn't leaving either. Neither one of them.

I don't buy it Mike. Gruden already gutted Griffin in post-game last week - then APOLOGIZED for it for God's sake. So then, to PFT (!), you put all that out there?

There's a lot more behind this than 'tough love'.

Probably. But I'm just so sick of the bullshit that I'm hoping. I can fully admit hoping here and not basing on facts.

This just blows me away. I agree with your comments Boone, but would add one more possibility just for consideration. I don't necessarily believe it, but just another angle.

Maybe Griffin is just a moron in evaluating himself? It's certainly possible.

Remember when he looked like crap this preseason, and someone asked if that was a reason for concern? His answer was something to the effect of "no don't worry, we fixed all of that in practice."

The truth is, he didn't even know what needed to be fixed, because he was never asked to do anything like this in college. He probably thought he was a well-rounded QB.

Shanny is an ass, but I also keep remembering a recent interview when asked about Robert, and he just kept saying "we'll see" over and over again. As if it was a vote of no confidence in his ability to play QB.

You're so biased against Griffin it's hard to even begin to think you're being objective.

I'm sorry but that's true. A moron? The kid is very intelligent and obviously able to work on things with himself like sliding, getting rid of the ball, and staying in the pocket more.

Then you bring up Shanahan who obviously doesn't like him as a legitimate point to make?

Sorry..but all of that just tells me you can't let go or see that your precious coach is going off the deep end, too

I just think it's hypocritical and arrogant for a first time NFL head coach to gut his starting QB over and over in the press. To turn his words around on him, Gruden needs to worry about his own performance. His team, in fact - every single unit of his team - is horrible. Where is the coaching? Where is the genius? Where is the leadership?

I'm not making excuses for Griffin. He needs to improve 100%. But to me, this just isn't the right way to go about building a team mentality and to support your players.

You're so biased against Griffin it's hard to even begin to think you're being objective.

I'm sorry but that's true. A moron? The kid is very intelligent and obviously able to work on things with himself like sliding, getting rid of the ball, and staying in the pocket more.

Then you bring up Shanahan who obviously doesn't like him as a legitimate point to make?

Sorry..but all of that just tells me you can't let go or see that your precious coach is going off the deep end, too

That coach may be going off the deep end. I can't even believe these comments.

Not challenging you, but why such a believer in his intelligence? He scored a 24 on the Wonderlic.

He's still learning how to slide in his third season.

I'm not saying he's unintelligent, I just can't point to anything right now that convinces me that he's extremely intelligent when it comes to his progress in picking things up.

The wonderlic is shit

Frank Gore got a 6
Ryan Fitzpatrick got a 48

You saying you'd take Ryan over frank on your team?

Reading this and hearing the quotes from this week, I'm wondering who has worse diarrhea of the mouth, Gruden or Griffin. Both of them, when you listen or read their entire comments, it can be hard to disagree with them. Most of the time, you understand what they are saying, where they are coming from, and what they are getting across. But they both have this knack of saying just a little too much that then becomes the focus. Sometimes, the comments are taken out of context, and other times they give sound bites that give people something to feed on.

What's odd about these comments is they are coming out Friday, right before a game. If they came out on Sunday or Monday, then you know these things would be addressed in practice, meetings, etc. But at this point, the only thing left before the game is pre-game meetings and maybe a walkthrough. So what is really going on here.

I don't think there's any 'misconstruing' those comments. It's pretty clear what Gruden is communicating.

We're gonna find out how it works after this week.

We're walking in to the Lions den this weekend and that defense knows our line is weak and qb scared. If we don't fully collapse I'll be interested in how the media is handled.

You read that?

How about Cassel. He has a 0 since he didn't even go to the combine.

Ryan Mallett got a 26.

That coach may be going off the deep end. I can't even believe these comments.

Not challenging you, but why such a believer in his intelligence? He scored a 24 on the Wonderlic.

He's still learning how to slide in his third season.

I'm not saying he's unintelligent, I just can't point to anything right now that convinces me that he's extremely intelligent when it comes to his progress in picking things up.

The Wonderlic is a poor example. Brett Favre got a 22, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw all got 15. Heck, McNabb only got a 14 and despite the crapfest he put up here, he had a pretty good career. Meanwhile, guys like Blaine Gabbert and Drew Henson are top 5 all time in Wonderlic scores. That test proves nothing about what a guy can do on the football field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.