• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMBQ: Diagnosing What Ails RG3

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Here's a very good article, with illustrations to see what's really happening:

Injuries can?t explain away QB Robert Griffin III?s ongoing struggles | The MMQB with Peter King

Is it the ankle? The knee? Or an Achilles’ heel: his inability to operate from the pocket? The MMQB’s film-study guru says physical setbacks can’t explain away Robert Griffin III’s poor grasp of quarterbacking basics.

Locker room leadership can be overrated. How a quarterback really loses his team is by leaving receivers open on the field. This is Robert Griffin’s biggest problem, and has been throughout his career. What’s most concerning is that he’s leaving receivers on the field out of a variety of formations and against a variety of coverages. The common thread is bad mechanics and a poor sense of timing.

Not going to lie, that is the most damning evidence I've seen. He needs to know those concepts. I really hope he can learn to see those looks and get the ball out.

I suspect we'll hear more of the same from Cooley when he breaks down RG3's performance this afternoon or tomorrow. The pics don't lie, and the analysis is objective and factual. Robert, for whatever reason, is having a horribly difficult time understanding how to operate within the scheme. It's not unreasonable to expect he'd be a lot farther along at this point. These aren't unique concepts to the Gruden offense, they're pretty standard progressions and timing plays you'd really like to think a third-year NFL quarterback would react to automatically, not have to sort out on the fly.

Oh, I'd say this stuff is pretty tangible....

I'd say the picture is pretty clear. He never ran a pro-style offense in college. He played against some of the worst defenses in college.

In his first year here, he wasn't asked to read pro defenses. The kid is years behind the learning curve. He has no idea what he's seeing, or who is supposed to be open.

Here's another sobering point of view from Steve Young:

Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young says he knows the problem with Robert Griffin III: He doesn’t work hard enough.

Young said on the Michael Kay Show that he has spoken with coaches who have worked with Griffin, and those coaches told him that Griffin simply doesn’t spend the long hours studying film that an NFL quarterback needs.

“I’ve talked to his previous coaches, people I really trust and admire, that know quarterbacks. He doesn’t put the time in,” Young said.

Steve Young: Coaches have told me RG3 doesn?t put in the time | ProFootballTalk

All of the comments I have heard say that he puts a ton of time in the weight room and on the field. But does he study?

I'd say the picture is pretty clear. He never ran a pro-style offense in college. He played against some of the worst defenses in college.

In his first year here, he wasn't asked to read pro defenses. The kid is years behind the learning curve. He has no idea what he's seeing, or who is supposed to be open.

Here's another sobering point of view from Steve Young:

Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young says he knows the problem with Robert Griffin III: He doesn’t work hard enough.

Young said on the Michael Kay Show that he has spoken with coaches who have worked with Griffin, and those coaches told him that Griffin simply doesn’t spend the long hours studying film that an NFL quarterback needs.

“I’ve talked to his previous coaches, people I really trust and admire, that know quarterbacks. He doesn’t put the time in,” Young said.

Steve Young: Coaches have told me RG3 doesn?t put in the time | ProFootballTalk

All of the comments I have heard say that he puts a ton of time in the weight room and on the field. But does he study?

That sounds like he talked to Shanahan.

not a very convincing article. not even well written given the thoughts it was trying to string together.

wanna bet I can find a similar number of graphics for Tom Brady?

RGIII has some things he needs to fix? what? should we alert the press? that's different from assessing the overall seriousness of the problem and where it fits in the grand scheme of this team's performance.

this two year run of bad play by the Skins is simply an opportunity for all the media a-holes like PKing to tear at pieces of the franchise because, ultimately, that is what the media does and because it suits their political agenda. especially PKing and SI.

they're cherry picking. if you recall...his first season he didn't throw every pass on the run. he had to set and pass on a lot of plays and he was on the money. this is simply sloppy analysis. btw...as for the run argument...another stupid/dishonest piece of journalism. yes...he's not gallabanding down the sideline on 60 yard scampers. but he's racking up 4-8 yds on QB runs. any team would be bhappy with that. they're holding RGIII to a differnet standard.

RGIII has some things to fix. but this is all feeding frenzy by the media for reasons alluded to above.

Last edited by a moderator:
not a very convincing article. not even well written given the thoughts it was trying to string together.

wanna bet I can find a similar number of graphics for Tom Brady?

RGIII has some things he needs to fix? what? should we alert the press? that's different from assessing the overall seriousness of the problem and where it fits in the grand scheme of this team's performance.

this two year run of bad play by the Skins is simply an opportunity for all the media a-holes like PKing to tear at pieces of the franchise because, ultimately, that is what the media does and because it suits their political agenda. especially PKing and SI.
I thought it was pretty solid. And right in line with the eye test on Sunday and Gruden's post-game comments.

And yes ... please do find three cuts from one game like that on Brady. :)

Fan,

He never ran a pro-style offense in college or the pros prior to last season. In his first season here, he was asked to run the read option, likely to play to his strengths and to hide his inability to read pass coverage.

Why do you find it so shocking that it would be new to him? He was never asked to do it before.

I thought it was pretty solid. And right in line with the eye test on Sunday and Gruden's post-game comments.

I hadn't even read those comments until you mentioned them. Good gosh. We're in a serious pickle again.

On Griffin III’s performance:
“Just from Robert’s perspective – you take everybody else out of the picture – Robert had some fundamental flaws. He did. His footwork was below average. He took three-step drops when he should have taken five. He took a one-step drop when he should have taken three on a couple of occasions. That can’t happen. He stepped up when he didn’t have to step up, stepped into pressure, he read the wrong side of the field a couple of times. So, from his basic performance just critiquing Robert, it was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from that quarterback position.”

Everybody keeps saying he can't read defenses, but isn't the read option system he played under predicated on reading the defense, and calling the right play just prior to the snap..... ?

no need. go back two seasons when the offense had no receivers. plenty errant passes. was it the receivers? was it brady? or was it memorex.

and you know full well the real point: over the course of many games Brady has made errant passes...as has Manning...as did marino....etc...etc. Is RGIII in their league? no. but that's not the point. did these deep, deep intellects examine why passes that succeeded in preseason and on into the season did so? if indeed some did...which I think can be established...then it would appear that quantitatively...there is a different argument to be made. these deep, deep intellects were not disposed to examine why...as happened in the MN game and the preseason there were streaks of 10 or more consecutive passes during which the completion ratio was 70% and higher. it's not that the mechanics are off or that RG is not reading events fast enough...it's that their analysis is shallow and transparent.

we all, of course, are entitled to our own opinions.

Anyone wanting to hear some critical break down from Cooley, here is the link...it's the Drive and Cooley Film Breakdown on the right side of the page.

ESPN 980 - WASHINGTON D.C.

Everybody keeps saying he can't read defenses, but isn't the read option system he played under predicated on reading the defense, and calling the right play just prior to the snap..... ?

No. And that is the big problem.

He spent his entire college career, and his first year here trying to read if the defender was coming up or not, and making a decision whether to keep it himself or hand it off.

Whether to run inside or bounce it to the outside.

He wasn't learning coverages in the secondary.

If you believe Cooley, on passing plays RG3 was taught to only look at the first WR, and if he was covered, to pull it down and run.

That would explain why he takes 5 step drops instead of three, stares down receivers, looks at the entire wrong side of the field and can't figure out the pocket.

We're trying to teach him simple things that most college QBs are taught as freshmen. He has years of catching up to do when compared to top NFL QBs.

No. And that is the big problem.

He spent his entire college career, and his first year here trying to read if the defender was coming up or not, and making a decision whether to keep it himself or hand it off.

Whether to run inside or bounce it to the outside.

He wasn't learning coverages in the secondary.

Really ? I find it interesting being he had good passing stats in 2012, and in college. Last I checked, the read option isn't just about running. Fact of the matter is, he never had to think about how many steps back he was or wasn't taking. He didn't have to force himself to sit in a collapsing pocket. He has a natural feel for the game, and gauged what he did by what was happening. You can also look league wide, and see receivers running open and not targeted every week, but you don't see people freaking over it.

I really think you have a future covering the Skins for a media outlet. You have the shtick down pat.

In short, we drafted an incredibly gifted athlete who was never taught how to read a secondary or taught how to pass from the pocket.

Now we have a little less physically gifted athlete, trying to learn how to read a secondary and pass from the pocket.

I find it interesting that you choose to always talk bad about Griffin but then say you're a fan. Compile that with the choices you make in who you want on the team and it's completely baffling.

I'm sorry; but you aren't unbiased at all.

If you believe Cooley, on passing plays RG3 was taught to only look at the first WR, and if he was covered, to pull it down and run.

That would explain why he takes 5 step drops instead of three, stares down receivers, looks at the entire wrong side of the field and can't figure out the pocket.

We're trying to teach him simple things that most college QBs are taught as freshmen. He has years of catching up to do when compared to top NFL QBs.

this is utter crap.

Miles is exactly right. people are ignoring all the times when the right decisions were made and the passes were on target.

perhaps folks are also missing the fact that our amateurish coaching staff can't correct any problems ON EITHER SIDE OF THE BALL WHETHER ROBERT IS IN THE GAME OR NOT. this FO and this coaching staff...let us not forget the newly arrived icon of future greatness "the o-line wasn't that bad in 2013." I remember that piece of brilliance. and what did we get out of it? the same piece of crap of performers that have led to broken QBs for years on this team.

It's not about just the QB. this whole team is pop warner league from top to bottom. they're all running and covering their 6s like the sorry cowards they truly are. not a respectable person on that roster or coaching staff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.