• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Most Disappointing Redskin of 2009

Spence

The Rookie
Reaction score
The 2009 season has been a disappointing one for the Redskins and their fans — even us fans who didn’t think a playoff berth was happening this year. The season has been marked by bad losses, poor coaching, constant injuries, front office controversy and under-performing, highly-paid players.

Which of these four Redskins do you think has been the biggest disappointment during the 2009 season? The options are:

Laron Landry

Santana Moss

Clinton Portis

Carlos Rogers

Landry continues to miss tackles and cannot produce big turnovers. Moss has struggled to get open and make plays down field. Portis skipped practices, didn’t run particularly well and then got injured. Rogers has been beaten deep repeatedly this season, leading to a benching against Denver and his admission that he tuned out the rest of the game.
Pick your poison and vote here.

You could make a good argument for all 4.

My choice: CB Carlos Rogers

Why?

As for Clinton Portis, i suspected this might happen. Portis is not the same back he used to be. His decline started near the end of last season and his laziness in the off-season was a recipe for what we have this season.

Santana Moss, well, the horrible shape the offensive line is in, the non-threat of the other receivers, gets Moss doubled up. He has been disappointing in that he isn't not getting open as often and he has had MORE than his fair share of dropped opportunities.

Laron Landry is a mixed bag. One game he looks splendid, the next, he is out of position, takes bad angles, and forget what tackling means. In other words, a heap of inconsistency.

As for Rogers, this has to be the most disappointing. n He has been terrible. In addition, it is a contract year. A contract year! He has self inflicted a loss of millions.

Gotta go with Rogers. The guy was one of the best man defenders in the league last year. I was looking for that same thing this year plus some INTs. So far, not only have I not gotten the INTs but his level of play has just dropped like a rock. All very confusing and disappointing, especially considering this is a contract year for Carlos.

I went with Landry. Sketchy in coverage, horrible angles, lazy tackling, no big plays. Someone as athletically and physically gifted as him should dominate, and I think he took a serious step backward this season.

Of the guys you listed I'd say Landry.

But really my pick would be Thomas and Kelly. Maybe it's just bad coaching, but if this offense was ever going to have a chance to succeed those guys were going to have to become major contributors. They are the only major additions to an offense that has for years been ok at best, and I think I'm being kind when I say they haven't made the offense better this year.

Of the guys you listed I'd say Landry.

But really my pick would be Thomas and Kelly. Maybe it's just bad coaching, but if this offense was ever going to have a chance to succeed those guys were going to have to become major contributors. They are the only major additions to an offense that has for years been ok at best, and I think I'm being kind when I say they haven't made the offense better this year.

Good points henry. The only reason I did not list Thoams or Kelly, and mark me down as a pessimist, but I really did not expect much more than we got from them. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but I just happen to think these were prior draft picks.

I have wondered about the WR coaching myself. Hixon has been a constant since Gibbs came back and Moss has really been the only bright spot at the position in those 6 years. Begins to make you think maybe the position coach just doesn't have what it takes to get the most out of the guys we have there.

I'd go with Landry. There have been too many bad angles, attempts at "highlight reel" hits that failed, and missed tackles. Not to mention the lack of interceptions (Washington is 27th in the league with only 7, although Carlos also contributes to that failure).

Kind of ironic that many of us (myself included) feel that Landry is the most disappointing player this season, given that he's the free safety of the league's #1 pass defense lol.

Still, I think about all the BIG plays we've given up through the air. DeSean Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Manningham, just to name a few. All of them you can pin on Laron.

Not to mention the big plays in the running game. Steven Jackson's big run, DeSean Jackson's end around, Michael freaking Turner. Seem to remember all of these guys getting behind Laron this year.

Add on a few stupid personal foul penalties ... yeah. You got my vote, #30.

I have to go with Portis. Not because he was in poor shape and declining. Feel his attitude in the locker room, trying to bench Sellers, and being a cancer disappoints me the most.

Portis crossed the line this year with his attitude. I wonder how much he undermined Zorn's authority. He just isn't a team player.

Everyone makes a good case for each of the players listed. The one thing (as far as I know) that sets them apart from Portis is attitude. That the fact he has become so much of a cancer is very disappointing.

To me it's a toss up between Landry and Rogers.

Portis hasn't been healthy all season.......I personally think he's hit that "running back wall" that every RB eventually hits. Plus, the O-line has been terrible most of the season.

Moss still can be dynamic at times but basically disappears in games. Nothing really new.

Rogers is a head scratcher. He's in a contract year for one. Most players have their best years in contract years.....if anything Rogers has regressed. In 2007 he was starting to turn the corner, then he got injured. In 2008 he looked good early but got benched for Hall/Springs. He still can't hold onto INTs, so he's not a "game changer" CB. He can play the run well, but still gets burned on double moves.....he was supposed to be our #1 for years and now at best he's a nickle corner with hands of stone.

Landry is sad b/c the guy has great intangables. He's fast. He's tall. He's big and can lay a great hit. Problem is he still makes the same stupid mistakes that he's made since he was a rookie. He goes for the big hit instead of making the play. He takes terrible angles. His open field tackling is questionable. He lets opposing Wrs get behind him. And worst of all he continually makes stupid late hits that cost the Skins 15 yards a pop. You wonder why position coaches haven't worked with him on this. I also wonder why he hasn't been benched like Rogers (outside the fact that we don't have a FS on the roster that can cover the field like Landry can).

sad thing is he was always a cheap shot artist. no matter what we want to believe he was always dirty. just think of the play against chicago...blatant late hit.

You expect a rookie safety to make hits (cheap shots) like that on occasion. You set the reputation that you will kill a guy who tries to go down the middle of the field when you're there (or anywhere near you for that matter). It's a scare tactic. Is it nasty? sure, but it's a nasty position.

Sean Taylor for example did it plenty of times as a rookie, especially to elite players like TO. But here's the thing: Taylor stopped doing it. He still laid a crazy hit, but he knew when to do it and when not to do it. Taylor also learned how to make plays (FFs, INTs, knocking balls out for incomplete passes, making critical tackles) without laying the lumber.

If Landry ever figures it out he'll be a damn good player. Problem is that into his 3rd season, he hasn't figured it out at all if not become worse.......not good.

I couldnt agree more bro. I just cant get it thru my head why he leaves his feet either. Its football 101..run thru your target..

And that's the thing.....where's the coaching on this?

Fred Davis had a habit of leaving his feet, leading to fumbles.
I bet Zorn or his TE coach (Wachenheim), or even Cooley or Yoder probably went up to him and said: "Fred don't leave your feet, you're a sitting duck when you do that."

Have you seen Davis leave his feet recently? No.

Why isn't Blache, or Jackson or even a fellow safety getting in his face and tell him to play smart?
Or are they and he's not listening........

Kind of ironic that many of us (myself included) feel that Landry is the most disappointing player this season, given that he's the free safety of the league's #1 pass defense lol.

Still, I think about all the BIG plays we've given up through the air. DeSean Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Manningham, just to name a few. All of them you can pin on Laron.

Not to mention the big plays in the running game. Steven Jackson's big run, DeSean Jackson's end around, Michael freaking Turner. Seem to remember all of these guys getting behind Laron this year.

Add on a few stupid personal foul penalties ... yeah. You got my vote, #30.

I think that just goes to show how important good line play is. This defense is the first unit on either side of the ball that the Redskins have devoted considerable resources to the line, specifically the pass rush. I don't think it's coincidence that our pass defense is pretty good.

Of course we're 25th in run defense, so that might have something to do with it too. :)

The truth is the Redskins simply haven't faced many of the league's better quarterbacks.

No Brett Favre, no Brady, no Manning, etc.

We will see this weekend against Drew Brees if the pass defense is so outstanding.

Landry is the most disappointing player because he has not played up to his ability.

Where big plays have been made down the field all too often it is #30 that misses the tackle or fails to cover the WR deep after the CB passes him off.

The most troubling aspect is that Landry is regressing.

He was better in 2007 than he has been this year.

Evidently Gray and Blache can't get through to Landry and it will be up to the next coaching staff to get more out of him.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

If a guy can't make any kind of impression and actually gets BENCHED in a contract year, he has to be considered a HUGE disappointment. I'll go with Rogers with Landry a VERY close second. Both guys were taken in the top 10 and should be performing better than they've shown. Landry seems to have regressed while Rogers all but seems to have given up. How do you do THAT in a contract year? Talk about a 50 cent head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.