• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Sign TE Chase Dixon to Practice Squad

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
November 10, 2014

REDSKINS SIGN TE CHASE DIXON TO PRACTICE SQUAD

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed TE Chase Dixon to the team’s practice squad.

Dixon (6-5, 240) originally signed with the Seattle Seahawks as a college free agent on May 10, 2014, before being waived on July 24. He played collegiately at Central Arkansas, where he appeared in 38 career games and recorded 33 career receptions for 379 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Dixon, 23, attended Southside H.S. in Fort Smith, Ark., where he was a 7A West All-Conference selection at wide receiver. He was born on May 30, 1991.

Yeah, still scratching my head about the Bolser pick at this point.

7th round tight end? Meh...what else was there?

That's a good question. They're just adding a body - not too many great TEs just sitting around waiting for a call. We barely USE the TE (unfortunately), so I'm not really worried about being thin there. They need to get Reed involved more. Kid is a baller if they'd use him more.

I'll clarify what is making me wonder a bit:

Bolser was selected in the 7th round. He spent training camp and pre-season with us. That is the sort of player you expect to be on the practice squad, and definitely somebody you would look to bring in when a guy starts going down, as it takes him less time to get up to speed. He's had time to somewhat assimilate our systems, but when we had a need, he doesn't even get put on the practice squad.

It's only one pick, in the first year of Gruden. It is hopefully something where they assessed wrong and realized it, and will correct those assessments in the future. But those picks should be developmental, and he doesn't even get a call. I'm not saying I'm too worried, because it could just be indicative of the coach and GM learning a few things as well. It just seems odd that a guy that trained with us doesn't even get a spot on the practice squad when there is an obvious need there.

Slightly nit picky, but not doomsday, I guess.

The % of 7th rounders who stick on an NFL roster is pretty small Shi. I mean, really small - I think I read it was like 22% who spend a year as a starter, although my #'s may be a little off. I do wonder, if we need an extra body at TE to sit on the practice squad 'just in case', one would think Bolser would be a better option than this guy. But who the hell knows?

Last edited:
Heard this guy runs down the field like a " War Daddy"....

Lol

Some thoughts:

- if 7th rounders don't mean anything (which is plausible to me), then we need to quit trading down into that round!

- To me...this move is an indicator that management is not happy with Paulson. Injury or not...he's good for a mistake/dropped ball just about every game. Not a foul-up, he's had some good plays, but he does have a habit of tallying one bonehead a game. Not sure where he sits as a blocker.

- What do we have? Reed who can't block. Paul who can't block. Paulson who is injured....isn't athletic and makes mistakes.

They need a TE with some size who can first and foremost block. that, IMO, is what they are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some thoughts:

- if 7th rounders don't mean anything (which is plausible to me), then we need to quit trading down into that round!

- To me...this move is an indicator that management is not happy with Paulson. Injury or not...he's good for a mistake/dropped ball just about every game. Not a foul-up, he's had some good plays, but he does have a habit of tallying one bonehead a game. Not sure where he sits as a blocker.

- What do we have? Reed who can't block. Paul who can't block. Paulson who is injured....isn't athletic and makes mistakes.

They need a TE with some size who can first and foremost block. that, IMO, is what they are looking for.

Heres the thing though Chase Dixon sounds more like a tweener TE who is better as a receiver than a blocker - he was a receiver in HS who converted to TE in College. 240 is not big for a TE in todays NFL, a lot of TEs are around the 260 area. So if they are looking for a TE who excels as an inline blocker (and I agree thats a need) I think we are still looking.

Why are we evaluating his worth as a playing TE when he's on the P.S.? Gruden may be displeased with Paulsen but until we put a TE on the active roster to take snaps away from our current TEs then it's all a moot point. He's on the P.S. He's a body. I'd imagine he's a 'safety net' in the event that the injury plagued Reed/Paul go down again. Just my opinion, I could be wrong?

agree with both Martin and ST. I was simply reflecting on why we are looking at TEs.

Maybe they want to put the revolving door vacated by Crawford back in service...

IDK, it is the practice squad - the idea is to develop guys for eventually adding to the lineup. If they think the team might need depth at a position at some point and feel there might be an upgrade to look at then why not do that? If the Skins were desperate at the position probably wouldn't be looking at the PS anyway.

Maybe they are even looking at guys they want to invite to next year's camp. Outside of Crawford, how many of these guys that are going back and forth are getting snatched up by 31 other teams?

BTW, looks like Richard is (at least currently) on SDs 53 so good for him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.