• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RG3 Act 2 begins against the Vikings

GSF

The Starter
Reaction score
RG3 has had some huge ups and downs since he was drafted by the Skins. He played unbelievably well at times, and equally bad at other times. Now he's had a chance to settle down, watch the offense work well and poorly as other QBs have had their big ups and downs. RG3 now understands that he has weapons all around him. He understands he has to be smart and stay healthy. I expect him to play with much more poise and presence when he comes back tomorrow.

Watch RG3 come out and have a great game tomorrow against the Vikings, who's defense is pretty good. The team and RG3 will then have 2 weeks to tweak the offense and sharpen up for the second half of the season. I predict that RG3 will stay healthy, and play very well for the rest of the season.

I am with ya GSF, I think this is the perfect time for Griffin to come back. He gets to knock some rust off, but also gets the bye week to rest.

Griffin said he would let the team lead the way and he would follow. Only if he's needed to carry the team, i.e. take over 4th qtr with running (way I interpret that) will he step out. I like his attitude, hope he follows through with that. I mentioned earlier, this should be a huge day for Morris.

So did D show up today? Jeebus the box score says no

They were there. Sort of. They were just unsound. Poorly coached. No schemes. You know, the usual anytime we play anyone other than Dallas.

I am not sure exactly what to think. It is obvious that Robert has the tools to succeed. He played well in many aspects of the game today.

However, he has a lot of work to do. I am not concerned with some of the mistakes he made today, except that throw to Garcon to end any chance at a win. The INT in the first half, whether it was or not, should not have been thrown in the first place, but I can live with that mistake.

My concern comes in 2 areas of his play...

1.) He has little pocket presence. He has to know there is a 300 pound lineman chasing him down from behind. I am not saying I want Colt out there, this is Robert's team and we need to know he can grow. But last week there was a play that the defender was bearing down on Colt, he made a quick peak over his shoulder to re-enforce his feeling for that pressure. We NEED Robert to be able to do that...he has to!

2.) On 4th down with the game on the line, he cannot throw such a terrible pass when the first down was all but guaranteed by a great play call, and route running by Garcon. That was a critical play that he needs to make.

He's our starter, he made some great plays today...great reads and great throws, but those mistakes will keep him from becoming a great QB.

Was able to catch the final 2 minutes today. That shit looked like Donovan threw it.

Oh well, same ole same ole

Yep. I agree. When we needed Robert most today he failed us. It shouldn't have come to that, but it is what it is.

Was able to catch the final 2 minutes today. That shit looked like Donovan threw it.

He played extremely well for large stretches of the game, so you missed that as well. Ultimately though, Griffin didn't get it done today.

He's like a different player, in the clutch.
I don't know if he's trying too hard or thinking too much or it's nerves, but it seems like whenever the game is on the line, or within reach, he doesn't come through, even on the easiest of plays

I'll take your guys word for it on Bob's play before that drive. His issues seem more mental than anything.

Still have some games left though so hopefully everyone can get on the same page.

He was improved in the pocket but still has same glaring weakness. No pocket awareness. He's not elusive in the pocket and he's not the same runner he was in 2012. His injuries have taken a toll in that regard. He doesn't have the burst any longer. It may be caution holding him back on the runs, which is ok if that's the case. We won 3 superbowls with less talented QB's and bottom line is Offense scored enough to win. Get the defense fixed, and the Oline improved and we'll win lots of games. But I don't think RG will live up to 3 firsts. I just don't see it and 2012 was not enough.

I got Jason Campbell flashbacks on a few downs today. Some throws were perfect. Some like the INT and the grounder to second to end the game...meh.

All of the qbs here have the jeckel and Hyde syndrome.

El, you make good points. But I watch QB's of all experience levels, make the same mistake plays every week, that Robert made today. Krappernick's been sacked 5 times in the first half today. Once on a blind side shot he didn't see coming that caused a fumble. Manning threw a horrible floater over the middle that was picked off and led to a Cheatriot TD. All QB's make mistakes. But because of the surrounding team, their mistakes aren't always as costly. Robert will get there, I believe. It still takes 5 years to make a good NFL QB. There are exceptions, but that is the rule, IMO. He did not win the game for us today. But he didn't lose it by himself either.

Norv Turner has to be the architect of more Redskins losses than any coach in history.
Of course, today he was matching wits with Rain Man Hazard.

He needs better pocket presence but that could also be the receivers aren't coming to him as much. It's really hard to think that is truly the case when Colt/Kirk were able to get the ball out faster but maybe the OL is expecting different things from Robert? He kind of feels like Rob Johnson back there where he just doesn't have a clock going in his head and gets caught in a collapse he should be able to easily escape from.

Morris had 50 yards in the first half and then disappeared in the second. We constantly go away from what works or try to get cute with sweeps/WR screens when they have never worked for us. One hole, one cut, get him downhill and let him punish a LB.

our LBs are extremely exposed in coverage. I am not sure why we keep trying to put them on pass catching TEs but it is embarrassing.

Our CBs play off constantly. Where is the press or bump and run? Why does Haslett not trust these young kids with young legs to even try that style of coverage?

Griffin played well. he was rusty when he tried to take off but he had great touch on the ball and had great zip on it when he needed it. Garcon better wake the **** up or he is going to get left in the dust.

Follow up: Well, not near as good as I hoped for or expected. Other posters are correct in that RG3's big weakness is pocket presence and awareness. He really held on to the ball too long on several plays today which led to many negative plays.

Overall, I think the short week, 2 long trips, and the bus crash was just too much for many of the players, especially the big guys. Both lines looked slower and slower as the game went on. By the 4th quarter the oline was getting blown up on every play.

I still think RG3 is going to get it going this season. I just wish the team could protect him better. He's going to have to get that ball out quicker.

I havn't noticed any evil side to McCoy
...other than being pretty inaccurate and having a Brad Johnson-class limp arm. Well, that and a small sample size. Given another game or two and he'd have reverted to the QB version of Rod Gardner, i.e. 50/50 TDs/picks. I'm ecstatic that he got us a win vs. the hated Cowturds but let's not get it twisted. He sucks.

RGIII has little if any pocket presence and seems not to have the same speed he did before his injuries. However the latter may be a blessing in disguise. If it keeps him from bolting from the pocket and forces him to rely on his reads and anticipating which player will be open, I'll take it. The good news is that even with the rust he didn't look nearly as bad as he did prior to his injury. Hopefully Gruden can continue to work his magic on him over the bye week. Either way, I think we should continue to develop Cousins and draft another QB in the middle rounds. I can only imagine how different our offense might look with a real OL and our defense without Haslett and maybe with another pass rusher. Here's hoping Gruden has the balls to fire Haslett.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.