• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is it fair to be highly critical of players who are oft-injured ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
It's an easy trap to fall into ; I'm probably as guilty as anyone about this, but thought maybe it's time to pause and examine a habit.
It's one thing to make jokes about, or become frustrated as a fan, over a player who has a history of injuries.
But to take it to the level of personal insults, and questioning their commitment, work ethic, etc, is this crossing the line ?
Isn't it a major assumption, or an exaggeration, or perhaps even a myth, to believe that every player who has repeated injuries, is the one to blame for such a pattern ?
Football is one of, if not the most violent sport on the planet. So, naturally, it's not out of the question for a player to have repeated injuries, through no fault of his own.
There seems to be a stereotype of oft-injured players, that they are either a slacker, or severely deficient in some area of their athletic lifestyle. And that their injuries are direct reflection on their "manhood" - as if the fan has inside knowledge of a player's life, and what triggers his injuries. And the truth could be the direct opposite of the assumption - an "inury-prone" player just may be the hardest working guy on the team, potentially.
Is this fair, or do fans take this quite too far ?
When does it cross the line ?

Last edited:
What's fair? Life isn't fair. It wasn't fair that Bo Jackson's career was cut short...It wasn't fair that Sean Taylor died in his prime.

What's fair? Life isn't fair. It wasn't fair that Bo Jackson's career was cut short...It wasn't fair that Sean Taylor died in his prime.

Well, I'm not asking if the injuries themselves, are fair or not. That seems to be what you're implying you thought I meant.
But the question was, whether our attitudes towards injured players is fair. That can't be compared to Bo Jackson or Sean Taylor, because they obviously couldn't control those circumstances, however, the way we talk about injured players is something we can control.

You mean like the criticism Griffin gets with his injuries?

Maybe an example would help clear up what you mean better.

I wasn't intending on singling out a player, or singling out a fan or their comments.
Just addressing the overall, general trend towards bashing injured players.
And establishing a standard or principle, of when it is appropriate to fault a player on this, and when it's not.
And when it crosses the line. And this is where someone could give examples - an example of an actual player who is at fault, and an example of a player who is not.

Well, then I guess everyone will be different and biased towards who they root for. Trash talking Griffin pisses me off but criticism of Bradford is perfectly ok.

To me it crosses the line when you wish real harm on another human being and take it beyond just as a fan rooting for your team. I would never wish Romo to be hurt for good or paralyzed. That's just beyond cheering for your own team

Didn't you just make a snarky comment about Phillip Thomas in another thread Fear?

It's like this. There are busts, and there are injury busts, the results are the same.

Greg oden=thus far rg3=Bradford=D McFadden=B Harper=E Lindros...ect. It's awfully hard to build a team around a great piece of talent that can't stay on the court/ice/diamond/gridiron for chunks consistently. It becomes a running joke/punch line. You become less dependable if every time you make contact with anything the world holds their breath. As for myself, I think it's fair to be highly critical of guy who seems to stay on the injury report. It's a pattern that means either you're bad luck struck, or not in shape for the task at hand. I tend to be empathetic to those that suffer, but sympathetic, not so much. It's what have you done for me lately(for me). If the answer is not much then I'm ready to move on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.