• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cake or Death? - Hope Starts Now

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Anyone remember when Matthew Stafford was injury-prone? Could stay healthy? In his first two seasons he played 10 and three games, respectively. In the season opener in 2010 he injured his shoulder, came back on Halloween to beat... the Redskins (sigh), then reinjured that shoulder a week later and was done. He had arthroscopic surgery done on his throwing shoulder and was done until the next year. All the media experts were wringing their hands that this talented kid was injury prone and would never be the same, and the Lions had wasted a number one pick, and other hyperventilations. He's done all right since then, including not missing any game in 3.5 seasons.

Robert Griffin III returns this weekend, to an inexplicable amount of angst in the fan base. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. We saw what happens when teams get game tape and a bead on Kirk Cousins. I realize that from time to time a player can bounce around the NFL and then find the right home for himself as QB with a new franchise, but it doesn't happen often. If we're pinning our hopes on the definition of a journeyman, Colt McCoy, I think we're in for huge disappointment.

The long term starter for the Washington Redskins is either Robert Griffin III or not on the roster right now. The rest of the year should give us a nice insight into Griffin's future with the team. I am not expecting a 2012 repeat with a new offense and new head coach, but I am expecting more from Griff than I would with McCoy or Cousins. I want to see some read option. I want to see some slides (graceful or not). I want to see some bomb hit DeSean in stride. I want to see the pinpoint accuracy we saw in 2012. Above all, I want to be excited again.

I entered last season with hope, only to have it beaten out of me by Griff's tentativeness and the Shanahan drama foolishness. This season has sucked the joy right out of me between the losing, Griffin's injury and Kirk's disappointment. It's been a drag. But now we get to start to evaluate if we have the guy, or if we don't have the guy. Be assured of this: Griff wants as much time as possible. If you think he hasn't circled the Indianapolis game on the calendar at the end of November, you're kidding yourself. For two years now he has had to listen to "experts" tell us all that Luck should have won ROY, that the Griffin pick was the biggest joke of all time, etc. And Luck has torn the league up this year; if you think that isn't eating at Robert, you're fooling yourself. My money is on a focused, determined QB who will be trying with everything he has to prove that he deserves to be the man here in Washington, and that his rookie season wasn't the fluke so many (including a lot of fans) think it was.

I, for one, can't wait to watch. Robert gives me something that Colt and Kirk never did: hope. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. I have it again, and I am excited to watch the second half of this season.​

More...

Harbaugh had McCoy last year in SF and opted not to retain him, so I am not under any illusions McCoy is going to be our Kurt Warner.

At the same time Griffin worries me. There is so much pressure because of the compensation we gave up for the pick ANY player would be affected by it.

The fact Griffin ran a gimmick offense in college and Shanahan ran the same scheme here in 2012 only makes it that much harder.

A 'real' qb coach would have started working on Griffin's game in 2012 but Shanny took the easy way out.

In some fashion you can say this is Griffin's rookie year as a PRO quarterback and it was already cut short by injury.

I, for one, in 45 years of Redskin fandom, have NEVER lost hope. If I do, I'll stop watching.

Doesn't mean I haven't been pissed/disgusted/frustrated as much as anyone else, from time to time. It's just that I know things can get better, and choose to believe they will.

I also don't give a rats ass what we traded for Robert. I think all of the hand wringing, and claims of giving up the farm, is hyperbole on steroids. If he doesn't work out, we'll get someone else, line up, and play football. No biggie.

I agree with almost everything written except I think Colt McCoy is worthy of far more than a casual toss onto the backup qb for hire pile...Even if he doesn't play another down this season he has shown more than potential that he can play at this level...I'm guessing the Texans might be interested. That is value, the team can trade on value. If Griffin comes up short I feel really good about the position. As for the picks we gave up? Rams haven't done diddley squat with them and still need a qb. For the record I want Griffin to light it up. I have high expectations starting now.

Gotta admit, the last several weeks I haven't been "all in" as far as my excitement for the games. I even skipped some games to do other things, like fishing or hiking with the family. That said, I am very excited to see our starting QB back. Of course I'm nervous for him and am keeping my fingers crossed that he stays healthy the rest of the season...but dangit, I'm excited again. :)

nice post G.

yea....having Robert play elevates the excitement level. lot more work to do with this team (talent wise) - it aint all about Robert. we do know this....this team hasn't had a franchise QB since 1992....we're all invested, admit it or not, in having this guy finally answer the mail on that one. like Ax, I look at the picks as a sunk cost: done, kaput, over with...no sense worrying about it. the issue is where do we go from here.

RGIII doesn't need to be a conventional QB. there have been plenty of unconventional QB careers. IMO, what we are seeing is a process of developing his style of play. neither he nor the coaches know exactly what the best fit/approach is yet. they have to settle on something that takes advantage of his mobility, arm strength, athleticism....while reducing the risk of injury due to his physical frame. I also think...especially with Gruden...that RG needs to step up the mental part of the game. the problem now is that...for business reasons...the growth has to happen in a compressed timeframe.

either way...for some reason...I almost want the Skns the beat the Vikes worse than the boys. not quite as much....but I'd still like for them to beat the living **** outta them. the Vikes irritate me. or maybe it's MN generally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.