• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is our biggest problem coaching?

Dizzinator

The Cheerleader
Reaction score
I just want to play devil's advocate and throw out there that perhaps the X's and O's as opposed to the Jimmys and Joes may be hurting this team as we dig under the surface a little bit. Point in case:

1. Clock Management - a huge part of the game plan and game outcome is how to manage the clock. Jay gruden and staff are miserable here. Two extra timeouts left on a 2:00 drill last week kept us from scoring. Jordan Reed certainly did not help toward the end of the game. Several times this season, Gruden has mismanaged the clock to negative results.

2. Challenges - have we won one yet? Is Ray Charles in the booth sending down information? You have gotta be sure to throw that red flag.

3. The use of personnel like RGIII and Cousins who both have wheels is a problem. I have always been taught in management that you utilize people's strength's in the game plan. Why are we so afraid of running a similar offense to the one that won our QB offensive ROY awards and broke records? Also, why did it take 7 weeks to bench Tyler Polumbus? Maybe it's that i sit in the endzone, but I continually see him put our QB in danger in passpro situations.

4. Play calling - Our running game is suspect due to not using Helu's speed or Morris' power. He does the opposite. Run a play until they stop it, not so they can stop it. Did you see that shovel pass to Helu last week? It brought back Jim Zorn memories. Desean Jackson deep hasn't been stopped by anyone. Not even the Legion of Boom. So, why aren't we going there more? Play action can be set up with draw plays to Helu.

5. Haslett- the handcuffs are off. Slightly better, but way below average. Needs to go. Who the hell will cover Dez this week?

end of rant! Good to see some old friends from that other site on here.

Welcome! I think you'll like it here...

...especially because most of us agree Haslett needs to go. Like, yesterday.

(Om being the exception, he really likes Haz for some reason :))

Nice post, I agree with the coaching problems, and though I am ready to be done with Haz, I think Gruden can learn from his mistakes and figure things out moving forward.

You are dead-on particularly with regards to clock
management, some shaky play calling, and challenge success. I'll confess at times I'm not really sure what Gruden's offensive philosophy is or what he is trying to accomplish in terms of offensive identity.

And welcome to the site :cheers:

No coaching is not the biggest problem.

Coaching is 1/3 of the biggest problem. We also can't block and can't tackle.

While I am convinced we struggle because we are talent poor at many positions, I have had to shake my head, sometimes sitting next to you in the EZ, at the play calls. You and I have both been calling for that draw play to Helu as we watch the WR's on this team demand more attention on 3rd downs.

We watch the run game get shelved early because Morris hasn't rushed successfully. He's not going to gash the defense every time, but he is not going to open things up with 3 rushes in the 1st quarter. Throwing the ball doesn't seem to be opening up the run game like we've been trying to tell ourselves.

It's early in Gruden's tenure so he gets a pass, but Haslett does not! For ****'s sake, dump him now! At least we will not see Trent Murphy on the interior of the line on long third down plays anymore now that Rak is gone...or will we?

Welcome to the board. I'm all in with Gruden for numerous reasons like the way he is handling the media. It's not even mid season and he's already on his 3rd QB. Oh By the way he's managing the RG3 injury process. He stays steady and measured with his comments regarding his Quarterbacks and other personnel. This offense can lighten anyone's defense up but it does regress as well. I like to think it's because he's finding his guys. Arizona and Seattle have top 5 defenses. Houston is playing well on Defense. Losing any of the games is to be expected until this team improves. Is it improving? I think so...I'm alright if we call this a rebuild and a work in progress.

You are dead-on particularly with regards to clock
management, some shaky play calling, and challenge success. I'll confess at times I'm not really sure what Gruden's offensive philosophy is or what he is trying to accomplish in terms of offensive identity.

And welcome to the site :cheers:

hard to tell since Gruden has clearly been calling conservative plays since his starting QB went down and his primary backup decided he likes passing to the other team often.

If anyone here can kindly tell me just who Chris Foerster has developed, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm
Not ready to give up on Gruden, but let's hope he learns from his mistakes. I believe this team
Will return to good times, but this is certainly a rebuild. Think anyone would trade for Rak?

It's definitely an issue, but Gruden is a first year head coach and he's pretty young in general, so it's hard to simply assume it will remain an issue.

That being said, I'm getting frustrated that it seems like we ALWAYS have to be "patient", "allow development" and "give it some time" with whatever and whomever is a part of this organization.

It's getting so tiring. Outside of Robert's instant success in 2012, I don't think we EVER have such things. If we do, it certainly doesn't last.

I can't believe how exhausted I am with this organization. Mustering up the energy to even write this depressing post is wearing me out. I apologize if I brought anyone down in the process, honestly.

too many pieces in motion right now to figure out the real root causes:

- new coaches

- old coaches (hazmat et al)

- shift in schemes

- personnel/scouting evaluation staff effectiveness

- QB injury/performance

- lasting cap penalty hits

- draft picks quality (or lack thereof)

- traded #1 picks in consecutive years

- lockerroom leadership

- team culture

- past FO dramas

- o-line/d-line

- secondary

- little stuff like TE/RB pass pro skills

I can't separate it all out. Only thing I think I can see is that Gruden knows he's somewhere between competitive and a "world of trouble" and has the strength of will to force what needs to be done. this ultimately means yet more change (i.e., this isn't going to be a simple evolution from where Shanahan left the team - unfortunately). Diz (welcome by the way)....I'm not a Gruden homer (though I like what I see) but I don't think he can be assessed at this point. I think he's in "holy *hit" mode trying to deal with injuries, player limitations, talent limitations, emerging/evident support limitations (e.g., talent evaluation) - lot of stuff to put together for a new coach who seems to have been boxed in some what by GM Allen. For me....a key will be watching power shifts, particularly n how the roster is rebuilt, following this season.

Does a honeymoon season even exist in todays game? It doesn't seem like it...We aren't even at the halfway point in the first season. I think Zimmer in Minnesota is going through this as well. Certainly the new coaches on the Raiders, Bucs and Jags are feeling the heat. I hope for a positive transition but we couldn't muster up a win for a very long stretch last season.
All time lows for the Special teams and Defense...The offense was mediocre at best. The two promising qbs on our roster were shell shocked and battered.
Enter the new Coach... he's 2-5 that's not very promising so far but there is room for excitement. There are coaches that turn things around quickly like what we see in Philly, AZ, KC...it happens but it's not the norm and when it does they already have most of the talent on the roster.
I think we can all agree the Redskins have struggled for the last 20 yrs. or so at judging, trading and drafting talent.

Not to jump to conclusions too quickly but should Rex Ryan or wade Phillips be on the radar? I for one am surprised that wade hasn't been given the DC job already.

Not to jump to conclusions too quickly but should Rex Ryan or wade Phillips be on the radar? I for one am surprised that wade hasn't been given the DC job already.

I would throw Wade a welcome home party tomorrow if they ditched Haz for him today.

I'd imagine that Gruden and crew wanted to get Haz a shot to live up to the notion that he was handcuffed. He hasn't.. I can't imagine a first year head coach would change the DC mid season, but if it's going to happen, I would hope he would wait til after the game @ Minn. Shoot for the Bye week. It's one thing to try to keep a locker room together when you're a first year head coach. To then deal with your starting QB getting hurt, benching your back up QB for underperforming, as well as your defensive captain and starting CB getting lost for the year, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to make a move on a regular week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.