• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins a great guy, but not the answer

RG3 Fan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Baylor
I really hoped Kirk would overcome the reason he was a 4th round choice in the draft. At Michigan State he had 45 touchdown passes his final two years, but also 20 interceptions. Never understood why so many fans thought he would make it as a starter. Regardless, QB is not even close to the biggest problem facing this team. OL, DL, and secondary are the problem. Maybe the Defensive Coordinator as well.

Well, as badly as his first extended run as a starter went, I don't believe the book on Mr. Cousins is written quite yet. The man has starter-quality physical skills, and by all accounts is smart as hell and doesn't suffer from game-is-too-fast-for-him-itis. His issue has been protecting the football at crunch time. He'll get another shot at starting in the NFL, sometime, somewhere ... and will have a chance to show he has overcome bright-light-itis and can be handed the keys to an offense.

As to the problems on the Redskins? You're 100% correct. QB ain't the biggest problem.

Defensive line issues will disappear when we have a secondary in place IMHO.

I think secondary issues will disappear when we have a defensive line in place.

:)

Kirk Cousins only gets a handful of starts before critics determine whether he's starter-quality, in the NFL.
Yet RG3 is allowed several years to prove himself.
Go figure.

Griffin showed he could play for an entire season - he set records Fear and was the NFL offensive ROY for God's sake.

Interesting how differently one can view the defensive needs/priorities. To me the most important component of a strong pass defense is the ability to pressure the passer consistently with just the big bodies up front. We haven't had that here in recent memory ... meaning we're always having to try to cover that weakness with scheme, blitzers, etc., and never really giving the "back seven" a chance to work schemes and games to clog lanes and create indecision in a QB under pressure.

Last time I can really remember a Redskins defense showing that dynamic was coached by Richie Petitbone. :brood:

Absolutely a strong secondary is important. Corners with cover and ball skills, and safeties to can read, react and make plays on the ball. But to me those guys are still at the mercy of the guys trying to rush the passer. No corner, not even Deion Sanders at his best, can stay with an NFL receiver beyond his first and maybe second option on a route. QB's standing in the pocket 4, 5 seconds and beyond shouldn't have jobs in the NFL if they can't find and hit open guys under those circumstances.

All of that said? Until this team hires and incorporates a defensive coordinator who can actually max out on the players he DOES have, and create a unit that is more than the sum of its parts instead of less ... we're never going to know what the players we DO have are capable of.

In order of importance to me are 1) hire a real DC, 2) find big men who can rush the passer, and 3) find legit young safeties who can grow with the new system.

Kirk Cousins only gets a handful of starts before critics determine whether he's starter-quality, in the NFL.
Yet RG3 is allowed several years to prove himself.
Go figure.
In his first starts, Robert NEVER looked as lost as Capt. Kirk.

Never.

Figure that.

In his first starts, Robert NEVER looked as lost as Capt. Kirk.

Never.

Figure that.

"Looking lost" is a vague, highly opinionated, and subjective way of looking at it. It doesn't come close to proving anything. And it's all in the eyes of the beholder. One could easily argue that RG3 looks very lost at times, while Cousins - the exact opposite : very much in control. I get the turnovers. But RB's who have a propensity to fumble, get a lot of slack from fans, who argue that it's highly correctable. Cousins doesn't get that same benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong Fear, I like Kirk. I look for him to be here through next year. If he gets another shot, who knows? But as of right now, he's a younger Rex Grossman. Robert is the best QB on our roster. Colt can take the #2 spot with a good performance Monday. If Robert plays, Kirk goes to #3.

And, he earned it. Not to say he can't fight his way back.

speaking of secondary,

What's up with Philip Thomas and his getting into the mix at safety..... thought he was a 'sure fire starter' and yet he still sits on the practice squad, he should be fairly healthy by now.

I see Porter is doing limited practice, maybe we'll see him on Monday (sigh)

Man, maybe it's just me, but sometimes I'm shocked at the opinions of our fans. I have no idea where all of this confidence in RG3 comes from.

I had no idea why people thought he would bounce back like AD. Everyone seemed to be so confident that he'd return to 100%. I have no idea why. It never made any sense.

I have no idea why some still believe that's ever possible again.

This won't be popular, but I remember writing that I would be surprised if RG3 lasted even six games this season. He made it a little more than 1. And he looked awful in that first game. People thought I was crazy and expressed their opinions at the time.

I don't believe Kirk Cousins is the answer, but I have no idea how anyone can believe that RG3 is either.

I'd put the odds of RG3 being the long-term answer here at roughly 5%.

I'd put the odds of another injury that requires him to miss multiple games within the next year at 85%.

I'd put the odds of us discussing who is better between Winston and Mariota within the next three months at 75%.

Here is how I'd list our biggest needs:

1. Secondary
2. Quarterback
3. Defensive Coordinator
4. Running Back
4. Offensive Line

Well. Thank God you're not in charge.

Lol.....I guess so.

Although if I were in charge, Shanahan would have been fired the day after the Seattle game, last season's 3-13 would have never happened, and Chip Kelly would likely be our coach right now.

And he looked awful in that first game.

While I agree that Griff did not look great for the entire game, 'awful' is not a tag I'd put on him.

What I remember from that game is at least two fumbles killing solid scoring drives, a blocked punt for a score, a blocked extra point and Rambo's whiff.

Total team effort in my book.

The confidence many have in RG3 comes from the same place your confidence (in the absence of any evidence btw) that Gruden is the next HOF Redskins coach and will take us to the Promised Land :)

Griffin has played some incredible games - he is far more a proven commodity at QB than Jay Gruden is as an NFL head coach brother. Griffin did not look 'terrible' at the start of the season - he was showing flashes of the 2012 Griffin before he went down. Whether or not his injury history is just bad luck or whether it's a fatally flawed propensity for fragility, that's a valid question we'll all know the answer to before long.

The confidence many have in RG3 comes from the same place your confidence (in the absence of any evidence btw) that Gruden is the next HOF Redskins coach and will take us to the Promised Land :)

Griffin has played some incredible games - he is far more a proven commodity at QB than Jay Gruden is as an NFL head coach brother. Griffin did not look 'terrible' at the start of the season - he was showing flashes of the 2012 Griffin before he went down. Whether or not his injury history is just bad luck or whether it's a fatally flawed propensity for fragility, that's a valid question we'll all know the answer to before long.

Buddy, he looked horrible in the Houston game. However, I will give him a pass because Watt destroyed any attempt at pass pro.

He looked terrible in 2013.......awful during this preseason.......and very pedestrian in our first game.

But now after a dislocated ankle, some expect him to look better than last season--which was a QB we can't consistently win with. Makes no sense.

That player from 2012 is long gone. That second knee injury was a bitch.

Last edited:
He looked terrible in 2013.......awful during this preseason.......and very pedestrian in our first game.

But now after a dislocated ankle, some expect him to look better than last season--which was a QB we can't consistently win with. Makes no sense.

He WILL look better than he did last year. You're talking yourself in circles McD. You yourself have said you would have sat him earlier than Shammy did, but aren't going to consider that perhaps he was rushed back last year? Are we really going to debate the Shamahan's coaching judgment at this point?

Here's the thing. The kid was transformative in 2012. Can he get back there? I dunno, maybe, maybe not. But I sure as shit don't want to give up on him yet, and risk him going to another team and becoming the elite QB a LOT of people think he could be because we don't have any patience. It hasn't been two years yet since his initial injury. If we're still having this debate at this time next year, I will acquiesce that you are probably correct.

But the kid was absurd in 2012, far better than Andrew Luck was who is now the toast of the league. We invested a lot in the guy, and I'd like to be pretty damned sure he not only can't get back to the point he was at, but can't get back to mediocrity (which is what you seem to be saying) before we throw him overboard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.