• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins a great guy, but not the answer

He played 2013 on one leg with a dumpster fire of a team around him.

The only "evidence" we have of Robert in 2014 was his first game in a new offense with a rookie head coach. The blanket statements of how awful he supposedly looked that day are pure message-board hyperbole.

No the man didn't play lights out. Did anyone realistically expect him to? But he wasn't a waste of carbon either.

29 of 37 (78%), 267 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, QB rating 96.7

Punt return block for a TD against.

Tyler Polumbus going against JJ Watt.

Two turnovers inside the Houston 10 yard line, only one arguably his "fault."

No, he wasn't 2012 down-the-stretch ROY. But he wasn't the waste of dihydrogen monoxide some are saying he was either.

"dumpster fire" a new phrase that is all the rage on BGO

Om, I'm also basing my view on the preseason games. Preseason doesn't mean much, but he didn't look improved over last season during those preseason games either. We didn't even manage to score a single TD with him running the offense.

Now we throw a dislocated ankle on top of it? At this point, I can't see how we could possibly go into next season with him as our starting QB. Or to try and convince ourselves that he'll be a healthy QB for years to come.

I'm starting to believe that we're almost forced to get another QB now.

Om, I'm also basing my view on the preseason games. Preseason doesn't mean much, but he didn't look improved over last season during those preseason games either.

Now we throw a dislocated ankle on top of it? At this point, I can't see how we could possibly go into next season with him as our starting QB. Or to try and convince ourselves that he'll be a healthy QB for years to come.

I'm starting to believe that we're almost forced to get another QB now.
Yes, that much is clear brother.

I pretty much dismiss preseason once it's over. If we were to place any truck with the 2014 preseason now, for instance, we'd also have to believe that our defense is the best in the league and Kirk Cousins is going to set the world on fire.

Let the man play a few games in a new system under a rookie head coach coming off an ankle before we start talking QB in next year's draft ... maybe direct a slice of that Gruden love Robert's way. :)

No, he didn't.

Glad that's settled.

Do yourself a favor and review the tape. We scored 6 points in that game.

In the first half he had one pass longer than 10 yards and 3 passes for no gain. To end the half, he mismanaged time, terribly, and we got nothing out of it when we had ample opportunity.

To start the 2nd half he had 2 nice pass plays, and then fumbled in the red zone to end the drive. (Trying too hard, instead of throwing it away)

The majority of his throws and completions came trying to catch up.

He looked confused much of the time, taking sack after sack because Watt was destroying the right side of our line and Robert could not escape the pressure.

It's ok for you to be wrong Ax.

Buddy, he looked horrible in the Houston game. However, I will give him a pass because Watt destroyed any attempt at pass pro.

Yeah, I'd say JJ Watt's 'all world' performance might have been a factor, thanks for throwing me that bone :)

29-37 passing, 78% completions, 97 passer rating, and zero picks. Yeah, that's 'horrible'. Riiiight.

And apparently, it's now Robert's fault that the defense can't stop anyone too. Damn you Griffin - playing from behind again! The offense struggled against the Texans, that's not doubt true, but Griffin wasn't the problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say JJ Watt's 'all world' performance might have been a factor, thanks for throwing me that bone :)

29-37 passing, 78% completions, 97 passer rating, and zero picks. Yeah, that's 'horrible'. Riiiight.

And apparently, it's now Robert's fault that the defense can't stop anyone too. Damn you Griffin - playing from behind again! The offense struggled against the Texans, that's not doubt true, but Griffin wasn't the problem.

A red zone fumble at a critical juncture in the game...90% of his completions were less than 10 yards...a constant inability to avoid the rush...numerous 3 and outs...he looked bad. Don't let the stats fool you, that fumble happened on a drive that could have given us the lead. At critical moments in the game, he failed to perform. Again, Watts was a huge factor, but the stats you give are not representative of his play...over 90% of his completions were for less than 10 yards. It was not until later in the game that he started throwing longer passes when the Texans had a 2 score lead and played softer on defense.

A red zone fumble at a critical juncture in the game...90% of his completions were less than 10 yards...a constant inability to avoid the rush...numerous 3 and outs...he looked bad. Don't let the stats fool you, that fumble happened on a drive that could have given us the lead. At critical moments in the game, he failed to perform. Again, Watts was a huge factor, but the stats you give are not representative of his play...over 90% of his completions were for less than 10 yards. It was not until later in the game that he started throwing longer passes when the Texans had a 2 score lead and played softer on defense.

90% of ALL QB completions are under 10 yards Brian. And tell me which QB avoids the kind of pressure Griffin was under that day? You throw that acknowledgement out there like it's just a minor detail. The truth is, you're a harsh critic and short of 400 yards, 3 TDs, and zero picks in a win, he isn't going to get cut any slack by you. When he plays well, it's because the defense let him play well. When he plays poorly, it's because he's flawed and unskilled, not because of the defense thrown at him or his supporting cast. You know it's true :)

Let's cherry-pick the first game of every opener this year and grade out the QBs based on that. That'll surely be an accurate barometer of who the great QBs are and who they aren't. Here's a snapshot:

Aaron Rodgers 23/33 189 yards 1 TD/1 INT
Drew Brees 29/42 333 yards 1 TD/1 INT
Tom Brady 29/56 249 yards 1 TD
Andrew Luck 35/53 370 yards 2 TDS/2 INT
Ben Roethlisberger 23/34 365 yards 1 TD/1 INT

Guess what - many of those guys lost their opener. Many of them were playing from behind. It's called 'any given Sunday'. Griffin was smack dab in the middle of these guys, performance-wise, and those are the top QBs in the league. I'll keep saying it - Griffin is the least of the Redskins problems. And it's not close.

We'll all find out in the next 2 years whether Griffin's injuries were freak bad luck or some kind of fatal flaw, and whether he's a great future QB, or mostly hype and potential. There will be a clear answer and we'll see who's right.

Oh Boone, I have repeatedly made the claim regarding this game that Watt in his face was a contributing factor. But there are those who think he was brilliant that day, flawless. He was not.

He made some big mistakes in that game, taking sacks when he could have simply thrown the ball away...stats don't show that. Fumbling the ball in the red zone at a critical juncture in the game when your first 3 drives were 3 and outs, that is not included in the stat line.

Here we are again, you're telling me the next 2 years will tell, but I am basing my assertions on his performance thus far. He is on the sidelines, not getting the experience you have admitted he needs to get better. Why? Because his reckless style of play gets him hurt and will continue to do so, especially since there is a clamoring for him to run the ball more, even if it's "only when necessary". Well, with this line, just about every play is going present the need to run.

But this is a thread about Kirk not being the answer...well, I think at this point we all know that is true. I still think he could be as good as Andy Dalton, but he needs a surrounding cast. He'll likely be released, unless Colt stinks it up. He will get a shot somewhere else and probably do the same things because he won't have the team around him to help him.

Did you miss the 2012 season?

I mean, seriously.

Did you miss his second major knee injury? Why would anyone have believed that he would ever return to prior form like AD did?

AD had one devastating knee injury. RG3 had two. Now add a dislocated ankle on top of it.

And some still believe we'll ever see anything that resembles 2012 again? Like he's actually a running threat?

It's more likely that he's now one of the least mobile QBs in the league.

Do yourself a favor and review the tape. We scored 6 points in that game.

In the first half he had one pass longer than 10 yards and 3 passes for no gain. To end the half, he mismanaged time, terribly, and we got nothing out of it when we had ample opportunity.
You are correct, we only scored 6. If you think all that falls on Robert, then, quite frankly, you don't know what you're talking about.
I see where Boone already handled the "under 10 yards" obsession. No need to pile on there.
Good to know that Robert Griffin is the only human being alive, coaches included, that hasn't mastered clock management yet. Is this your first year watching pro football?

To start the 2nd half he had 2 nice pass plays, and then fumbled in the red zone to end the drive. (Trying too hard, instead of throwing it away)

The majority of his throws and completions came trying to catch up.

He looked confused much of the time, taking sack after sack because Watt was destroying the right side of our line and Robert could not escape the pressure.
Well, for Christ's sake, we surely don't want a QB, on an under-talented team, to try real hard to win a game.
Next time we're behind, we should just abandon the pass?
Robert Griffin III, only QB in the history of football to get sacked. I say we kill him. I know that'll make you happy. ;)

It's ok for you to be wrong Ax.
You should try that line in the mirror my friend.
I've never been afraid to admit I was wrong my whole life. I admitted it both times. :)
But there are those who think he was brilliant that day, flawless. He was not.
I haven't seen many at all trying to claim he was "brilliant". That would be just as wrong as you're manifesto of finding something wrong with everything the kid does. You are married to your prediction of his future, and your eyes skew everything you see, to fit it. You likely think that you don't, but you do. You have lost all objectivity when it comes to Griffin. IMHO.

Well, with this line, just about every play is going present the need to run.
Name me the QB that wouldn't make mistakes under those conditions.

You're right, there ain't one.

You need to move beyond your personal dislike for the guy.

As for Kirk, I don't think we will release him. Why should we? He'll be under contract next year. He knows the system. I'd keep all three, as of right now.

You are correct, we only scored 6. If you think all that falls on Robert, then, quite frankly, you don't know what you're talking about.
I see where Boone already handled the "under 10 yards" obsession. No need to pile on there.
Good to know that Robert Griffin is the only human being alive, coaches included, that hasn't mastered clock management yet. Is this your first year watching pro football?

Well, for Christ's sake, we surely don't want a QB, on an under-talented team, to try real hard to win a game.
Next time we're behind, we should just abandon the pass?
Robert Griffin III, only QB in the history of football to get sacked. I say we kill him. I know that'll make you happy. ;)

You should try that line in the mirror my friend.
I've never been afraid to admit I was wrong my whole life. I admitted it both times. :)

I haven't seen many at all trying to claim he was "brilliant". That would be just as wrong as you're manifesto of finding something wrong with everything the kid does. You are married to your prediction of his future, and your eyes skew everything you see, to fit it. You likely think that you don't, but you do. You have lost all objectivity when it comes to Griffin. IMHO.

Name me the QB that wouldn't make mistakes under those conditions.

You're right, there ain't one.

You need to move beyond your personal dislike for the guy.

As for Kirk, I don't think we will release him. Why should we? He'll be under contract next year. He knows the system. I'd keep all three, as of right now.

You're still wrong. He played poorly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.