• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D. - 7 Crucial Waypoints on the Journey to a Redskins Resurgence

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Forget '7 Minute Abs’, I mean, I’d recommend you go with the 6 minute version anyway. I believe there are 7 crucial actions the Washington Redskins must take if they are to revisit their former days of glory and return to a winning tradition.

Let Griffin be Griffin. We’ve heard it before and we get it. RG3 is reckless. He plays with wild abandon. He can’t slide. He won’t slide. RG-Knee. The 'Pistol’, 'Read Option’, running threat QB offense is dead. Griffin can only survive by becoming a pocket passer. Balderdash I say! Conventional wisdom isn’t always the wisest course. Griffin is still a special quarterback and his significant speed and athleticism is in large part what makes him so. Geld your prize racehorse, and he’ll never be the same again. To create the kind of magic we saw in 2012, Gruden has to grit his teeth and unleash Griffin. Griffin needs to reject caution. In 'Top Gun’ parlance, he needs to be Maverick, not Goose. 'That’s right – I am dangerous!’. The threat of Robert taking off down the field puts teams in a no-win scenario. Stack the box to cover him and our talented receiving corps breaks open. Drop back in coverage and Griffin scampers downfield in 8-10 yard chunks. Griffin doesn’t need to learn to become a pocket passer, he needs to learn how to become a more effectively dangerous read option QB. I believe Griffin learned his lesson in year 1, and will try to avoid unnecessary contact. Where he needs to advance is in looking to pass while on the run. Get RG3 back to what he’s most comfortable and skilled at doing, improvising and creating mismatches, and you’ll immediately see our running game, offensive production, and ability to keep drives going and the opponent’s defense on the field improve.

Protect your assets. Forget the obligatory coach-speak and niceties...

More...

Agree with everything, though I think the blocking TE is of lesser import than the rest. Paulson is a nice player, and is fine for now. Eventually, after we fix the line we can go after the TE.

(I'm mostly just afraid of the rioting that would happen should we pick a TE with anything earlier than a 7th round pick next year)

Well, I wasn't implying it could all be done in a single off-season, or even two. Sadly, I fear that Gruden will not making any coaching changes. That's the problem with inexperienced head coaches - even if they see peers that can't get it done, they either lack the clout, the will, or the balls to make the hard decisions. That's why a lot of first time head coaches are last time head coaches. I hope I'm wrong about Gruden on that front. Because folks had it wrong - Griffin isn't the coach killer, Haslett is. As for TE, we under value big blocking TE's. Paulsen isn't even average, I have to disagree there. The highest praise I'd give him prior to this year is 'serviceable'. This year, he's been just awful. It's a need - whether or not it's up there with OL or Safety, that's debatable.

Agree on Gruden, Haz, and heck agree on Paulson. Its a given Haz has to go. But more and more I think he also can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I don't see much of anybody worth it on defense. Schlereth said on Mike and Mike, when he played for the skins and was at Dallas, he looked at their players before the game, and concluded the Redskins didn't have anybody on offense that could start for that particular Dallas team. That's how I feel about this version of our defense. Kerrigan may start, but the rest are just a bunch of guys, and some wouldn't make it as backups. Now Gruden/Allen changed the roster this year by some 20 players. Partial house cleaning. Now we need to take it to the next level and change most of the rest. Nothing to lose there, don't tell me how can we possible release "core" Redskins. Easy, trade or cut them. Bottom line is ...... if they can't play, won't matter who the coach is.

Gruden's clock may already be ticking. I haven't exactly seen great decision making. I feel that the team was wholly unprepared for the season. maybe that has something to do with the inability to practice like teams used to do. Less time to get it together. I don't know, but they have looked unprepared and everyone, and Gruden acknowledges as much, everyone has failed to execute the game plan and the plays. He's got to make some bold decisions. Hope he has the balls to do so.

Oh and just draft a lineman with the first pick for the next three years, please. We won't get anybody as free agents and if we do, they are well past their prime. And our tight ends are nothing special. Need a pro bowler there who's not injury prone. We don't have time for injury prone players to come around, save for Robert. And he has his limitations.

agree across the board...so...naturally...I think this is a great think piece.

one other thought kinda aligned with the hazmat point: figure out the FO soon. Allen surrounded himself with yes men. he may simply not be the right guy for GM.

I agree on Allen. I've sort of been a lone critic on that front until recently. But I believe Allen is here for the duration - there's no possibility he doesn't continue in his role unless he decides to move on.

Ok...I'm confused ( what else is new? ).

The whole " Let Griffin be Griffin" thing.....didn't both Robert and his Dad get into it with Shanny because he didn't want to run that kind of offense anymore?

I don't know who could possibly answer that question - that goes back to 'save the drama for your mama' - that was certainly rumored, but I don't know that it's a fact. Anyone watching Robert play, before or since the injury, knows what his preferred playing style is and also what he is most effective doing. And it's not being a pocket passer.

I agree on Allen. I've sort of been a lone critic on that front until recently. But I believe Allen is here for the duration - there's no possibility he doesn't continue in his role unless he decides to move on.

man...I really, really hope Gruden lays down the law during the off-season. he needs to take charge and direct/carry out the plan of the day!!!

You mean, let Griffin run the ball? How long will it last?

Other than that, I agree.

I don't know who could possibly answer that question - that goes back to 'save the drama for your mama' - that was certainly rumored, but I don't know that it's a fact. Anyone watching Robert play, before or since the injury, knows what his preferred playing style is and also what he is most effective doing. And it's not being a pocket passer.

you think a mix would work? some magic formula like 40% pistol...60% standard, pro-style pocket passing? he can' run the pistol like 2012...the defenses figured out that they just had to crash down on him EVERY play - sooner or later he would break in two.

I don't think he has to run a lot, just when its there and enough to put doubt/fear into the defense. I think we already saw the blueprint this year before the injury.

I don't think he has to run a lot, just when its there and enough to put doubt/fear into the defense. I think we already saw the blueprint this year before the injury.

I think the fear of him running is gone.

I hope it is...only a fool thinks he can't run.

Of course you do :)

He may not be as lightning fast as he was (although that's arguable) but he is absolutely one hell of an athlete who defenses have to account for both as a passer and a runner. That's not unique to him - any QB who is a threat to break out of the pocket and move downfield with speed (such as Russell Wilson) causes serious problems for defenses.

Of course you do :)

He may not be as lightning fast as he was (although that's arguable) but he is absolutely one hell of an athlete who defenses have to account for both as a passer and a runner. That's not unique to him - any QB who is a threat to break out of the pocket and move downfield with speed (such as Russell Wilson) causes serious problems for defenses.

We've been through this before...not going down that road again. Robert will get injured again because he does not know when to hold em and when to fold em. He wants to do it all. He thinks he is Superman.

I know it was one play Brian, but he looked good sliding before his ankle gave out. I think you might possibly be too hard on the young man. If we turn him loose and he runs around like 2012, then I will completely agree with you. But people do learn from their mistakes and adjust their behavior accordingly. The last year and a half have to have been excruciating for the young man. I have a feeling he doesn't want to replay those 18 months if he can help it, and he can most certainly help it.

Might? Lol

Haha! Right.

Look, I think Robert is talented, but he needs to play smart...he just hasn't in a while. After the injury against the Seahawks, everyone said he'd learned. The following season, it was quite obvious he was nothing like the QB we saw for the majority of the 12 season. We kept hearing...he just needs and off-season of workouts. Well, we got that and he's on the sidelines again.

Even at the start of the season, we saw the same QB who hasn't learned to merely shed the pressure with a step up...or to the side, we saw the same young runner take off. Problem was, he was not as difficult to pursue. Sure, he's still one of the fastest guys on the field, but he was no longer able to get around the corner...even against a few big uglies. What we saw go for 78 yard TD's in 12 were reduced to 8 yard runs to the sidelines, or even the occassional run out of bounds...5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I am hard on him. I expect a LOT more from him. Why? Because we need him to be a super star since we did not address other major areas of need to get him. You think DeMarco Murray is better than Alfred Morris? I don't! But here we are watching him flirt with a 2k yard season because they drafted OL as a priority over the past few years. It *****ing sucks!

You need more frito burritos in your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.