• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D. - 7 Crucial Waypoints on the Journey to a Redskins Resurgence

Haha! Right.

Look, I think Robert is talented, but he needs to play smart...he just hasn't in a while. After the injury against the Seahawks, everyone said he'd learned. The following season, it was quite obvious he was nothing like the QB we saw for the majority of the 12 season. We kept hearing...he just needs and off-season of workouts. Well, we got that and he's on the sidelines again.

Even at the start of the season, we saw the same QB who hasn't learned to merely shed the pressure with a step up...or to the side, we saw the same young runner take off. Problem was, he was not as difficult to pursue. Sure, he's still one of the fastest guys on the field, but he was no longer able to get around the corner...even against a few big uglies. What we saw go for 78 yard TD's in 12 were reduced to 8 yard runs to the sidelines, or even the occassional run out of bounds...5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I am hard on him. I expect a LOT more from him. Why? Because we need him to be a super star since we did not address other major areas of need to get him. You think DeMarco Murray is better than Alfred Morris? I don't! But here we are watching him flirt with a 2k yard season because they drafted OL as a priority over the past few years. It *****ing sucks!

Agree completely. I'm not, however ready to give up on the kid yet.

And I hope to God we emulate the Cowboys (barf) and draft the hell out of our OLine.

Nice write-up! I also think that RG3 should be used in the shotgun in general more. To me, it seems like the traditional, under-center snap is not used as much across the league anyways. Most teams run out of shotgun a ton. As gross as emulating the Cowboys Oline strategy is (that I agree with too), it wouldn't hurt to take a page out of the Eagles playbook and run more sets with the same looks that Foles works in. I think RG3 would rock in that setting.

Griffin being Griffin is a lot different than what you describe here. RG3 takes too many hard hits...that can't last. Griffin However could certainly perform as well as Russell or Kap. Heck Rogers and Luck aren't a pocket passers but they can play in the pocket. Griffin needs to add that skill...he doesn't have to a great pocket passer just a good one.
I don't think he has to run a lot, just when its there and enough to put doubt/fear into the defense. I think we already saw the blueprint this year before the injury.

There has to BE a pocket to PLAY in the pocket. Griffin is fine. He isn't throwing on the run a lot (I actually would like to see more of that), the vast majority of his completions are made from the pocket. In the Texans game, he completed 78% of his passes, almost all from the pocket, and that was while running for his life. Griffin is not Michael Vick - he's made his career as much on his accuracy as his legs. You guys need to go back and look at him at Baylor, during his first season here - he's accurate! He couldn't plant and didn't trust his leg in season 2 post-injury. But he was still had a 60% completion rate in a horrible season.

When I say 'let Griffin be Griffin', what I mean is that to facilitate him taking off out of the pocket every other play. But when it's there, Griffin still has the speed and athleticism to reel off 10 yard runs consistently. We shouldn't be trying to force him to stay in the pocket at all costs because we're afraid he'll take brutal hits. I believe he's learning not to take the brutal hits and will continue to get smarter about going down and getting out of bounds sooner. It's not like he's not aware of the potential cost of not doing that. But it's that combination of the threat of him taking off downfield AND him being a pretty accurate pocket passing threat that makes him special. It is counter-productive to try to 'save him from himself'. He doesn't need 'saving', he needs to be more disciplined. And that can be coached and learned.

There has to BE a pocket to PLAY in the pocket. Griffin is fine. He isn't throwing on the run a lot (I actually would like to see more of that), the vast majority of his completions are made from the pocket. In the Texans game, he completed 78% of his passes, almost all from the pocket, and that was while running for his life. Griffin is not Michael Vick - he's made his career as much on his accuracy as his legs. You guys need to go back and look at him at Baylor, during his first season here - he's accurate! He couldn't plant and didn't trust his leg in season 2 post-injury. But he was still had a 60% completion rate in a horrible season.

When I say 'let Griffin be Griffin', what I mean is that to facilitate him taking off out of the pocket every other play. But when it's there, Griffin still has the speed and athleticism to reel off 10 yard runs consistently. We shouldn't be trying to force him to stay in the pocket at all costs because we're afraid he'll take brutal hits. I believe he's learning not to take the brutal hits and will continue to get smarter about going down and getting out of bounds sooner. It's not like he's not aware of the potential cost of not doing that. But it's that combination of the threat of him taking off downfield AND him being a pretty accurate pocket passing threat that makes him special. It is counter-productive to try to 'save him from himself'. He doesn't need 'saving', he needs to be more disciplined. And that can be coached and learned.

The problem is, he just doesn't stay in the pocket...even if it's there. He started to read through his progression in the pre-season being patient in the pocket given to him. I had not seen him do it so seamlessly in the past as he did this year in pre-season, even his rookie year when everything was so new for defenses to adjust. But as soon as he started seeing real pressure in the regular season, he did not step up into the pocket avoiding the rush just long enough to read through his progressions, he failed to be patient and took off...to no avail. He even got run down trying to hit the egde by JJ Watt. That is a 295 pound DE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.