• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Locker Room Comments Redskins vs. Titans

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
October 19, 2014
FedExField

Quarterback Colt McCoy

On what Head Coach Jay Gruden said at halftime:
“Well, he just walked over to me and said, 'We’re going with you to start the second half. Get ready.’”

On how he felt about that decision:
“Yeah, all I know is my responsibility on this team is to always be ready to play. It goes unnoticed a lot but I feel like every week I’m prepared to play even though I don’t get any reps. Our coaches do a great job getting Robert [Griffin III], Kirk [Cousins] and I, all three, ready to play – hats off to them. I spend a lot of time with [Offensive Coordinator] Sean [McVay] and [Head Coach] Jay [Gruden] during the week, making sure I understand our game plan, what we’re looking for and areas we’re waning to attack. I watch Kirk in practice and see where he’s going with the ball and when he told me at halftime, I was just thankful for the opportunity and I just wanted to go out there and play to the best of my ability and lead my team – this team – to a victory and we were able to accomplish that.”

On his journey as a quarterback:
“Well, this league is very unforgiving. I’m thankful that I had the opportunity to still be able to play. It didn’t work out in Cleveland. I learned a lot of football last year in San Francisco. When I became a free agent, I played against Jay [Gruden] a lot when I was in Cleveland [and] he was in Cincinnati. I know [Bengals quarterback] Andy Dalton. I like the offense that he ran. He was always efficient. When they called me and said, 'Hey, we already have two quarterbacks but we would like for you to come up here and compete. You never know what happens,’ I decided to just do that instead of waiting on anything else. The Good Lord just takes care of me and I’m just thankful that I’m here.”

On the turnaround in today’s game:
“Yeah, I like Jay a lot, and when Jay came to me and told me to be ready to play, I just didn’t want to let him down. You’ve always got to be ready to play and if he goes with you and you go in there and turn the ball over or don’t start fast or don’t win the game or don’t play well, that just doesn’t look good. Like I said, this is huge for our team. This team is much better than 2-5. There are so many good guys in this locker room; there’s so much talent in this locker room. Hopefully, this win will spur on some momentum for us and maybe we can get on a roll here and get back in the hind. I just truly believe that this team is capable of doing that.”

On his emotions while playing and his touchdown to wide receiver Pierre Garçon:
“Yeah, I didn’t know Pierre [Garçon] was that fast, first of all. I told him that in the locker room, too. But Pierre is such a good, easy target to throw it to. He has great body control. I threw a little back shoulder hitch to him and he made the play to put us up, so hats off to him. He’s such a great player. And then at the end of the game, I knew they were going to come after us. I got sacked earlier on one of the second blitzes. I was able to recognize that and they got into a pretty heavy protection. I threw a long one to [wide receiver] DeSean [Jackson] and he’s one of the best players in the league. I thought I threw a good ball and I wondered why we didn’t come down with it and it was PI [pass interference]. At that point, we were at field goal range and you just want to hold down the ball, take care of the ball, let [kicker] Kai [Forbath] go out there and do his thing.”

On getting rhythm, timing and pass completions without reps:
“I told a couple of the guys that are on the practice squad that I really appreciate that they have helped me get to this point. I spend a lot of time with those guys after practice throwing routes, if they are willing to get out there and do it for me. We do a lot of reps in scout team and sometimes offenses overlap, so I’ll get a lot of the same looks. It’s very rarely the same. Just staying at it and staying at it. It’s been two years. I don’t want to get emotional but I’m just thankful that I’ve hung in there and kept fighting. I love this game. I love this team. I love our coaches. We still have a chance.”

On Tennessee counting out the Redskins in the fourth quarter:
“I don’t take it personally. Their coaches are pretty smart, too. They know we’re down to a backup who’s never taken a rep… Let’s make him go in the game. It wasn’t me, it was our offense. We were efficient. We got completions, made some big plays and marched right down the field. I’m just thankful to be a part of it. I thought the plays were called great. We executed and now we’re 2-5. I hope we can create some momentum with this and move forward.”

On his relationship with fellow quarterbacks Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins:
“Now, let me tell you something. Kirk is one of the most upstanding guys I’ve ever been around. I don’t want to take anything away from him. I’ve learned some from him. I felt like I’ve helped him a little bit in a way, watching some tape with him. I do the same thing for Robert. Robert is awesome. He’s fun to be around, he works really hard. I mean, the guy’s almost back from a foot injury that not many guys thought he’d come back from. I’m privileged to be around those guys and in the meeting room with those guys. I am the oldest, so sometimes I feel like I can bring a little bit to the table that may help them. I’ve played a lot in this league, just haven’t in the last two years. I don’t know where we’re going to go from here but I hope as a team we can move forward. Winning a game like that always gives you a little bit of momentum and I hope we can keep going.”

On if he exchanged words with Cousins after replacing him in game:
“Not really. Kirk is a competitor, like we all are. It hurts for him. It would hurt for me and it would hurt for anybody in that situation. Kirk’s also a team player and I know that he’s happy that we came out with a victory.”

On what he said in the final huddle:
“I didn’t really have to say much. I just knew we had a couple timeouts available if we needed them. I just told the guys, I looked them in the eyes and said, 'Hey, I’m going to do my job, you do yours and we’re going to win this game.’”

On his exchange with Offensive Coordinator Sean McVay in locker room after the game:
“He was just excited. Sean’s a great coach. I like Sean’s ability to stay poised when he’s calling plays. I hear Sean’s voice in the headset. Jay calls the plays, but they’re both poised. They gave me a lot of confidence as I went out for that last drive. That’s what you’ve got to do in this league. You’ve just got to win the game in the fourth quarter, that’s what it comes down to. We were fortunate to do that today. ”

On the possibility of being called to start next game:
“I’d like to say it’ll be a little bit different. But I always say I put in the time as if I was the starter every week. Even though I don’t get reps, I spend a lot of time there in the building watching tapes, doing the things I would have to do to get myself prepared. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I know Jay mentioned Robert might be back ready to play, and if he is I’m sure they’ll go [with Robert], but who knows. For me, my approach is just to get ready for the Cowboys and whatever happens, happens.”

On if he had past experience passing to Garçon:
“Yeah, I really don’t throw to those guys. That’s reserved for the starter. I’ll get a few routes on air with them before the game or before practice sometimes just to stay in ground with those guys. All of the things I do is just watching, but that’s universal for all backup quarterbacks and you just have to be ready to go out there and compete and play when your name is called. Maybe a little bit in [training camp], but again, that was the first time stepping in the huddle with those guys since I’ve been here and I’m proud of those guys. It’s got to be tough for them hearing a new snap count and a new cadence with a new guy calling the plays. For them to hang in there with me felt like a positive for sure.”

On how being pulled from the game could affect Cousins’ confidence:
“Well, I don’t like speaking on Kirk’s behalf, but Kirk does a great job every week of preparing. He works really hard. All the guys love him. You know, if I was going to back up somebody, backing up him was fine. We got along great. We worked well together and, you know, it’s tough. You know, when you’re trying to win a game, sometimes you press a little too much and he’s had some unlucky picks and balls bounce the wrong way a couple of times. You know, that happens in this league. He will bounce back from it. He will be stronger from it, not only me, but everybody else. I know that we had full confidence in Kirk every week to go out there and play well, and Robert’s the same way. If I back up Robert, I do the same thing with him. We have a great relationship.”

On confidence of young quarterbacks:
“I mean, you know, when you throw a pick, that always messes with your mind. It’s like a pitcher getting a home run hit off of him. How are you going to respond? It’s tough. A lot of guys handle it different ways. You know, I’m just glad that our team was able to come out in the second half and play well. Our defense played well and our offense was able to respond and go win the game and hopefully we can carry that on.”

On knowing the game plan and coping with pressure on the last drive:
“Yeah, I was a little disappointed the drive before our last drive because they got a blitz that hit home on me. I had to flush out of the pocket the first time, and then the second time, they kind of had all our guys covered and it was really a coverage sack. But I got to see the blitz. It’s the first time I’ve seen it live, and when we marched down the field, they brought it once and then on the PI [pass interference] to DeSean [Jackson], they brought it again. And like I said, I was able to get to a max protection and throw a one-on-one route with DeSean. So what was a negative early in the game in the drive before I felt like was good for me to see because we adjusted. It was two different blitzes, but the same one hit home the drive before, which we blocked the second time.”

Quarterback Kirk Cousins

On his last interception:
“Poor throw by me – didn’t get the ball over the linebacker’s head. I think the coaches’ decision was based on the turnover. You can’t win with turnovers. I know that and he knows that. So he [Gruden] felt like you’ve got to come out if you’re going to turn the ball over.”

On his reaction to being pulled out of the game:
“I felt like I needed to submit to his authority. That was his decision and that’s why he is the head coach of the football team. It’s a decision that worked; we won the game. [Quarterback] Colt [McCoy] did a great job.”

On his current emotions:
“It is a long road. It’s going to be a lot of ups and downs. No one ever said it was going to be easy. Very happy we got a win, we needed one desperately. I thought they did a great job in the second half [to get a] win by any means necessary. Now it’s just about going back to work and continuing to improve and grind and, like I said, no one ever said it was going to be easy. ”

On moving forward from his performance today:
“Yes, every game you just have to learn from it and move forward – try not to let the mistakes repeat themselves. Sounds like a broken record and I feel like I’m saying this every week, but I’m just trying to get better every week and do the best I can. I think ultimately the turnovers have to be corrected. ”

On if he thought about being replaced before the end of the game:
“Honestly, no. In this league, you understand if you don’t play well, that’s always a reality. Although it wasn’t in my head, it’s a reality regardless of where you are.”

On the interception and the extremes of his performances:
"Yeah, you know if I had the perfect answer I probably wouldn’t have thrown them. You know, I don’t know if some of it is, I’m so conscious of not throwing an interception that it causes you to throw one. I really don’t know. You know, I feel like I just need to get better and cut down those turn overs and like you said, I do believe that I can do some good things and we can move the ball when I’m in there. When you turn the ball over you put your defense behind the eight ball, you don’t give your offense a chance, and there are just too many play-makers on this team to not have the ball in their hands. So, Jay knows it, that’s why he made the change and, you know, like I said, if I don’t turn the ball over I think this offense will be in a much better place, so whoever is at quarterback, that will be an important point of emphasis."

On what he needs to do between now and next week:
"I need to, you know, put together a good week of preparation and good practice and the coaches are going to ultimately make the decision. But, I want to do all that I can, that I can control, to show them and give them confidence during the week’s preparation.”

On if they simplified the game plan for McCoy:
“I don’t think so. I think overall it was pretty similar. I think as the game goes you get a feel for what works and based on what Tennessee’s defense was doing was what dictated some of the play calls. You know, if that came across a little more simple it’s because it’s what was working and what we felt like we could move the ball on.”

Kicker Kai Forbath

On what was going through his mind before kicking the game winning field goal:
“I mean, I was literally telling myself this is a PAT [point after touchdown]. You know, I do this every day in practice, every day in games. Nothing needs to change. So that’s exactly what I did.”

On if he was bothered by the timeout called to freeze him:
“I love that. I mean, it’s a practice kick for me. I kick it no matter what. You know, I know they’re going to call a timeout usually, so why not take a practice?”

On if there was pressure coming from the right side:
“I have no idea. That’s not something I can see. I don’t know. We’ll take a look at that.”

On how it felt to get the game winner:
“It felt great. You know, we needed a win bad. Colt stepped in, put me in a great position. I mean, I couldn’t ask for better field position to kick the game winner, so hats off to our offense for getting us there.”

On whether he has been working on his kickoffs:
“Yeah, my leg feels good. Today was pretty windy out there, so it was definitely blowing towards our tunnel, but kickoffs are something that I’m starting to feel a lot more comfortable with.”

On previous game winners:
“Probably since college…I had a 53-yard game-winner in college. I think that’s the last one.”

Wide Receiver Pierre Garçon

On his touchdown:
“Just competing and getting more than what the play allows you to get, it added that extra spark. It’s just what I’ve always enjoyed doing – running after the catch.”

On having decreased role on offense in prior games:
“I get used to it. I’ve been playing football for a long time. You just always have to be ready when your number’s called. You’ve just always have to be ready. That’s the league right there.”

Wide Receiver DeSean Jackson

On winning the game:
“I mean, it’s a win. I wish we could have a lot more than wins, but that’s what we’re dealing with right now. I feel good, but we can’t get too happy. We still have a steep hill to climb. We’re just taking it one day at a time.”

On quarterback Colt McCoy’s performance:
“I mean, he came in and did what he was supposed to do. You know, he’s a professional athlete, a professional quarterback. I think Kirk [Cousins] did a great job until he got pulled. It’s an unfortunate situation the way things are going this year. They’re doing the best they can and giving us the best chance. We’ve just got to figure out what’s next.”

Tight End Jordan Reed

On how badly the team needed a win:
“Desperately. We lost five in a row and we definitely needed a win today and that’s what we got. We got the job done.

On quarterback Colt McCoy coming in for the second half:
“Colt did a great job. QBs, they’ve always got to be ready because you never know when you are going to get a shot. He came in there and did what we needed to do and just had a good drive and did what he had to do.”

On if the offense had a notification that McCoy would come in during the second half:
“Coach Jay mentioned it in the locker room during halftime and he went out and warmed up with the centers and got ready.”

On playing the third-string quarterback:
“Yeah, it’s crazy. It is crazy how deep we are and how prepared Colt was and how well he did out there for us.”

Tight End Niles Paul

On the relief of producing big plays on special teams:
“Yeah, we’ve just got to keep building off of it because once you get special teams plays like that, you can turn the season around, turn the unit around off of that and hopefully we can all build off of that.”

On if just seeing big plays on special teams builds confidence:
“We don’t want to be the problem. We don’t want to be the issue on the team and we don’t want to go through the same thing we did last year. We want this special teams to be feared and hopefully this was a building step to it.”

On the number of big plays from various players:
“It just lets you know how potent and versatile our offense is. We’ve got a lot of playmakers and we’ve just got to keep building off of it.”

Tackle Tom Compton

On how it feels to get a win:
“It’s nice. It feels real good. You go that long without a win it, really increases the feeling when you get one. So we are all pretty pumped and we should keep carrying this to Dallas.”

On how this win helps the upcoming week of practice:
“Well, you know, it is just like everything is more positive. Kind of get that confidence and swagger back, so that’s what we need, bad.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.