• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

We Need A Bunch Of Starters. So Who Do We Trade?

When did the salary cap start?

Didn't recall exact timeframes so I needed to 'verify' somewhat the timelines using our ol' friends, Google and Wiki.

Wilber Marshall, I believe was a plan B prize, not sure if the Skins had to compensate Bears or not but I think the Bears did have right of first refusal in matching the Skins Offer.

I do remember that the times were a changing towards the end of Gibbs first tenure and 'parity' was a catch phrase back then.

The cap was first introduced for the 1994 season and was initially $34.6 million.

In 1993, the owners granted the players free agency in exchange for a salary cap.

The Plan B free agency was a type of free agency that became active in the National Football League in February 1989. Plan B free agency permitted all teams in the NFL to preserve limited rights of no more than 37 total players a season. If a player was a protected Plan B free agent, he was incapable of signing with another team without providing his old team the first opportunity to sign him again.

Edit: Check that.... Marshall was not plan B, he was signed 1988, Bears got a couple of 1st round picks after declining to match the Skins offer,
Beathard left the Redskins in May 1989

Last edited:
Well, Samuels was arguably the best OL we have had since Grimm retired and Lachey got hurt.

So, it's not on the one trade to make an organization's future.

If Samuels played in NE he would probably be a HOF candidate right now.

Yes he was. He was not overrated and he was good enough where he was able to be put out there and left without having to worry about him for a decade.

You keep saying it but that doesn't mean people will agree. His pro bowl and all pro numbers speak for themselves.

My feeling is he is discounted because he played mostly on losing clubs.

I remember Joe Jacoby and Russ Grimm losing battles with the Giants front seven and Lawrence Taylor.

But all of that is forgotten because they won 3 titles as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.