• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Something Positive

Rose colored glasses post here

1. More confident about this RB core than I have been in a long time

2. Something to get excited about regarding our Defensive front 7 and their possibilities. Not happy about the NT situation, but we do have a few pieces that we can be excited about.

3. For the 1st time in how long, have we not seen a panic regarding our defensive backfield.

4. OLB is viewed as our deepest position... one that we've neglected for a long time appears to have some ability to it.

5. When was the last time we had castoffs be picked up the next day? That tells me talent is in the building.

Homer post of the day!

Thanks ST. The wave of negativity around here, before we've even played one down of regular football, has been a little tiresome. The 2017 season is almost here, and the paths to glory and shame are both wide open in front of us. I'm still open to the possibility it will be an amazing season.

At least we are not starting on the road in Seattle or Green Bay :hungry:

Our Rush defense held the Eagles to 58 yards rushing, the longest run from scrimmage was 7 yards

The interior line consistently had pressure on Wentz, now we just have to get home. Wentz turned into Houdini and made some things happen to avoid, or we could have had quite a few more.

The leading receivers for the Eagles were Zack Ertz (8 / 93), Nelson Agholor (6 / 86 / 1, 58 of those yards on one play), Darren Sproles (5 / 43). The secondary looks much improved over the weekend. Everyone was attacking the ball and making plays, and Fuller had one of the best games a DB has had for us in a good while. We did not get torched by WRs. A couple big plays, one of which was just a GREAT play by Wentz, but overall the secondary looked improved.

Chris Thompson

Skins D held Blount to 46 yds on 14 carries. This type of RB rolled right through them last season so have to say there's improvement. Defense recovered a fumble, got an Int & scored a TD. They actually only gave up 23 points so that's a pretty winnable game to hand over to the offense and with the TD the D took back 7 of those 23 points. The whole team only had 2 penalties.

How'd the new guys do? Zach Brown led in tackles with a total of 12 (7 solo/5 assists). Johnathan Allen Had 3 solo tackles and 1 assist which was the same total tackles as McClain (1-1); McGee (1-0) & Ioannidis (0-1) had combined. Swearinger; 5 tackles and a Pass Defended.

They actually only gave up 23 points so that's a pretty winnable game to hand over to the offense and with the TD the D took back 7 of those 23 points.

So I'd credit the defense with 7 points due to the TD they scored, to bring their "net allowed" down to 16.
Then Special Teams basically set up another easy Philly TD, by muffing and handing them the ball at the Skins own 39.
So, take away another 6 Philly points (since PAT was no good) that wasn't really the defense's fault, and their net allowed was only 10 !

And on the flip side of the ball, the offense should have added another 7, instead of turning it over in the Red Zone.

But in a Positive thread, I have to end on a positive ; Next game, Kirk hits Pryor for the TD in the Red Zone, after building a stronger chemistry with him in practice.

Last edited:
At the end of the 2016 season our run defense was ranked as the 9th WORST in the league. We allowed an average of 119 yards per game, 4.5 yards per carry.

So far this season (despite facing Sproles and Gurley) we're ranked 9th BEST in the league. We are allowing an average of 75 yards per game, 3.3 yards per carry.

BOOM!

(I'm not going to talk about the pass defense yet! LOL)

For the first time I can remember, we now have a secondary with young players that are good athletes and do what the coaches tell them to.

With 23 year old players like Fuller, Nicholson, etc. on the field we see fewer blown coverages than we did in the past when we had veterans out there, albeit it older veterans with a lot of mileage on them.

And two more in Moreau and Holsey are developing as a 'second wave'.

You can tell that overall the defensive players respect the coaches in 2017.

Manusky and Tomsula have stopped all the bickering on that side of the ball that was so detrimental in 2016.

It seems clear now that we not only had a skill gap on the field at certain defensive positions in 2015 and 2016, we also had a skill gap among the guys wearing headsets on the sidelines on that side of the ball.

We have seen Joe Barry before.

You know who he is?

The defensive equivalent of Jim Zorn.

Standing on the sidelines with that clueless look on his face.

Bump.

Surely something positive since the first couple of games.

Vernon Davis - pretty much more than you coulda hoped for so far. 2nd on the team in receiving yd's & 6th in targets. Kirk's QB rating is 114.8 when he targets Davis.

Not the only positive something so (nudge, nudge) what else you got?

1) It appears have some young talent at WR, that could be a future, great, long-term corps :
Harris, Grant, Doctson, Crowder, R. Davis.

2) If Rose can kick something that remotely resembles an onside kick, we may have found a future kicker.

As I mentioned in the Random Thoughts thread, I agree that we have some guys with upside we need to look at wide receiver and that process would have been made easier by trading Pryor back to the Browns for a late pick. We gave it a decent shot with a guy that looked to have upside, but it just hasn't worked out here and now we are on the back nine of the season and need to admit what we have and don't have.

Harris produced more today than Pryor did the previous few weeks in terms of impact. He had a really nice TD grab, he contributed in the return game.

We weren't getting anything out of Pryor, so as they say 'you won't miss what you didn't have' in the first place :)

Speaking of, where is Hopkins?

IR. Don't know if he is designated for return but I doubt anyone would burn a return designation on a kicker.

Skins are 6-3, and have a 2 game lead in 1st place - over the DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS.
And I personally don't care whatsoever how we got there.

Speaking of, where is Hopkins?

He's hurt temporarily, and we're looking at replacements.
Don't the moose in your neighborhood kick really well, at least when it comes to dogs.
Maybe an Alaskan Moose is the answer to our kicking injury.

IR. Don't know if he is designated for return but I doubt anyone would burn a return designation on a kicker.

I just quoted your post that's exactly 1 year old, because I haven't seen you in ages, and hope somehow, this sends you a notification somewhere that will beckon you to return.

We are 6-3 and have a 2 game lead in the division!

However.... :movefast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.