• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

ESPN (Keim): Redskins resilient, but mistakes haunt them

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Keim nails it.

Redskins resilient, but mistakes haunt them

PHILADELPHIA -- The Washington Redskins did what they wanted, moving the ball up and down the field, scoring 34 points, connecting on big plays. They also stopped Philadelphia Eagles' running game, not to mention the Eagles' dangerous screen game.

Just check out this stat: Darren Sproles and LeSean McCoy combined for 72 yards. Repeat: combined.

And, yet, it wasn't enough. The Redskins don't necessarily invent ways to lose -- special teams blunders have cost them numerous games in the past. They just keep finding ways to rob themselves of chances to win.

This isn't about burying the Redskins because they lost 37-34 on the road against a team many – read, everyone – picked to win the division. Washington certainly can feel good about certain aspects of this loss. That is, unless it wants to do more than just regain self-esteem after last season's 3-13 record and actually rebound with a winning season.

<!--• Chicago at N.Y. Jets--><!-- end inline 1 -->They showed resiliency in driving 87 yards for a touchdown after giving up a 102-yard kickoff return. They allowed the Eagles to start controlling the game, only to force field goals, get a huge play on offense and put themselves in position to possibly win. They lost key starters, again, and continued to fight. Tough not to like the mentality this team possesses. It'll help them, if they can stay healthy.

But when you're a team trying to spring an upset, you make it tougher on yourself by: committing 10 penalties (for 131 yards); allowing kickoff returns for touchdowns; missing chip-shot field goals.

It's good that their kicker made 18 straight field goals. But he missed a 33-yarder that would have given Washington the lead. It's good that the defense shut down the two most potent players on Philadelphia's offense. But the Redskins couldn't pressure quarterback Nick Foles, who managed to throw for 325 yards, with 154 going to receiver Jeremy Maclin.

The Redskins could be 2-1 ... heck, they could be 3-0 ... but self-inflicted wounds prevented one win and blocked another. That's why they're 1-2. In their two losses, the special teams have had an extra point blocked, a punt blocked for a touchdown, allowed a kick return for a score and missed a field goal. That's 21 points. That's 21 too many for a team desperate to shed the horrid memories of the 2013 season.

"There's a lot of things to like," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. "The things I don't like was the special teams, obviously the big plays and then the penalties were unnecessary things that we have to address. Things that we can correct we will correct. But I can't keep saying that at a postgame news conference after we lose. We have to get them corrected for us to get this thing turned around.

"We're going to be in a lot of these close games the next three weeks and penalties will cost you a lot."

They wasted a terrific effort by the offense, with quarterback Kirk Cousins throwing for 427 yards and three touchdowns.

"We always knew what we had [offensively]," Redskins tackle Trent Williams said. "We knew we'd be tough for any defense to stop. Today we did really well. We played a good game offensively. Sad to say a couple plays we could have made that could have helped us win the game. We have to build off it."

The parts are there. The mindset appears to be as well. But to win games in the NFL it takes more than that; it takes making plays at the right time. In the fourth quarter the Redskins missed a field goal, tossed an interception and failed to gain a yard after getting possession at the Eagles' 41-yard line, trailing by three points.

They had a chance to win. They had a chance to make a statement. Instead, they reminded us once again that they're close ... and not yet good enough.

The offense put up the most yards in a single game yesterday in 23 years.

I'm thrilled that my two favorite Redskins games in the last nine years have come in back-to-back weeks.

You need the take a 2nd look at your criteria for 'favorite games'! I enjoyed last week's and yesterday's effort, but I'll take playoff wins over them and some great wins against Dallas any day. Let's not overhype where we are. Where we are has only been good enough for 1 win in 2014.

You need the take a 2nd look at your criteria for 'favorite games'! I enjoyed last week's and yesterday's effort, but I'll take playoff wins over them and some great wins against Dallas any day. Let's not overhype where we are. Where we are has only been good enough for 1 win in 2014.

When was the last playoff game we won?

What about the Thanksgiving Day thrashing against the Cowturds?

What about the win you're in game to end the season against the pukes?

Both of those games were far greater victories...or games, since yesterday was a loss.

I smell snake oil again!

I didn't like the playoff loss with RG3. Seeing a potential franchise QB take a serious hit to his career wasn't anything enjoyable.

Seeing the most offense we've seen in 23 years? Seeing a QB spread the ball all over the field?

Seeing the D shut down Shady and Sproles on the road?

Seeing our team not quit, and drive all the way down the field for a late touchdown?

Seeing our offensive line, much maligned by some fans, come out and absolutely dominate? 0 sacks? One of the top O-lines in the league yesterday, if not the absolute best?

That was the best Redskins team I've seen in 9 years. No question about it. And last week's game was also a thing of pure pleasure.

I haven't been this optimistic in a long, long time.

2005 Wildcard against the Bucs. I would put that win, the MNF Moss x 2 TD game, and both Dallas wins in 2012 (one to clinch a playoff game and knock Dallas out of contention) all well above the past 2 week's games (yesterday's which ended in failure). I like Gruden and what he's doing, I just don't see the need to overhype where we are. Gruden would be the first to say that he and this team have proven nothing and accomplished nothing. When they start doing that, I'll start adding some of their games to my 'favorites' list.

But to each his own I guess.

"There's a lot of things to like," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. "The things I don't like was the special teams, obviously the big plays and then the penalties were unnecessary things that we have to address. Things that we can correct we will correct. But I can't keep saying that at a postgame news conference after we lose. We have to get them corrected for us to get this thing turned around.

I like what I hear. I'm hoping I see it in the near future. I've been so tired of press conference rhetoric. It sounds like he's already tired of it himself.

2005 Wildcard against the Bucs. I would put that win, the MNF Moss x 2 TD game, and both Dallas wins in 2012 (one to clinch a playoff game and knock Dallas out of contention) all well above the past 2 week's games (yesterday's which ended in failure). I like Gruden and what he's doing, I just don't see the need to overhype where we are. Gruden would be the first to say that he and this team have proven nothing and accomplished nothing. When they start doing that, I'll start adding some of their games to my 'favorites' list.

But to each his own I guess.

I would put the playoff win over the Bucs first, and the Monday night mircacle second. Both nine years ago.

I loved the Dallas victories, but feel this team is much more solid on both offense and defense than what we saw back then. So I have to discount those.

Regardless, two extremely solid outings.

By no means am I trying to piss on your parade. I am excited with some positives I'm seeing. And last week's game was one of the more enjoyable in a long time, if only because it's been a rare thing to see our team dominate another one. Yesterday was painful to watch. There were a lot of pluses, but to lose a game that we outplayed the Eagles in in so many ways, it hurt - and it's a game there's no way we should've lost. There were a lot of positives, but I'm not sure I'd call it an 'extremely solid outing'. The offense was extremely solid. ST was a disaster, and the defense failed to record even a single sack while allowing Nick Foles to throw for almost as many yards as Cousins did.

The season opener in 2012 was the best regular season win i can remember, except for any win against Dallas.

Good game marred by atrocious ST and sub par Defense. It is cause for hope in what Gruden brings. Teams mirror their coaches, and I like what I see so far in the attitude department. However, Gruden screwed the pooch big time in retaining Haslett. The D is still short on talent, but Haslett isn't able to compensate at all and nothing in his past indicates he's ever been able too. Gruden will also need to find a new ST coach real soon if this isn't fixed starting the next game. Gruden seems to take accountability and places responsibility where it lies. I want to see that in action.

Great play-calling and a QB who got rid of the ball quickly. He also wasn't afraid to take a lick. He reminds me of Cutler in that regard.

Times have changed. This isn't 1990 anymore. You no longer need a great O-line to score points, win games, or win the Superbowl.

I'd be okay with zero sacks if we had put consistent pressure on Foles. Far too many times yesterday, our four rushers were simply neutralized at the line. Didn't see a lot of one-on-one battles won by our guys.

At least that's the impression I walked away with ... admittedly it could have been colored by the red film settling in over my eyes as I saw another winnable game slipping inexorably away.

Grr.

Talk about the defense all you want. But at the end, down two scores, the got us ball back, twice.

The offense scored a quick TD, which they had to do. It's their job, and all.

But they needed the defense to get the ball back again. They did.

The special teams got a gift from the Eagles, and set the offense up to win the game.

They screwed the pooch. Big time.

So, in crunch time, the defense came through twice.
The offense, did not.

Beat the Giants!!!

That's a good point Ax, although they dos put us in a hole repeatedly giving up big passing plays most of the game. But you make a valid point - in crunch time they did what they were supposed to do.

That's a good point Ax, although they dos put us in a hole repeatedly giving up big passing plays most of the game. But you make a valid point - in crunch time they did what they were supposed to do.

And I might add to that they beat Philly up all game...physical ball. We may not have sacked Foles, but he and most of their players got beat up. Which I believe helped down the stretch. Our defense were the ones who were supposed to be worn down at the end...their offense was sputtering.

Admittedly, I'm in the slow group, but why did we not have one sack yesterday?

The Eagles were down to nothing for their o-line, but somehow their wideouts were able to gain 15 and 20 yards at a clip...many of those plays taking time to set up.

I'm afraid our d-line still isn't effective without help through blitzes.

I can't speak for the lack of a sack, but Foles got knocked around and hit a ton. It made me think we switched O-Lines at first. The game may have also been more of containment... I don't know. They averaged under two yards-per-carry.

Nick

The difference in the game was special teams. The Redskins are not good enough to spot a good team 10 points and win. The special teams were the difference between winning 37-30 and losing 37-34.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.