• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Trailer- Sean Taylor: A Football Life

Watching that documentary was rough and it definitely brought back a lot of emotions...and tears. Jeez, to have a talent like that ripped away from our team, from football, sucks. To see such a promising young life cut short, a man taken from his fiancee, his daughter, his family is even more devastating. Never has there been a "celebrity" death that affected me even remotely close to as much as Taylor's did, both then and now.

It certainly was a reminder of why the day he died I gave the proverbial finger to my grad school's dress code and instead of wearing my business attire, wore his jersey over a black pencil skirt, nylons and high heels and didn't give a rat's how it or I looked even though I know it looked ridiculous. And why now I have the #21 game towel framed and hanging in my office...and smile whenever a coworker or client asks me about it and I can talk about Sean Taylor.

All that said, I probably should have waited a few days before watching this since the crapfest that was last night is still fresh.

That was exactly how I felt. Last think I needed less than 24 hours after that game was to watch this special.

Nick

I've said it before, I'll say it one more time-

Sean was my favorite college player of all time that got drafted to my favorite pro team. What an unbelievable course of events. On the day of his death, the news broke while I was driving my only child to school. There were no words that we could share as it was far too painful, but the deep, heart-wrenching emotions that both of us felt still reverberate to this day. It was, and still is, unfathomable to both of us that such a cruel twist could possibly unfold like it did. I still have Sean's image as my computer desktop photo today, and probably always will.

Michael Wilbon's sentiments were salt in our wounds and the precursor for our feelings of never again giving a shit about what some talking heads opinion is. Those thoughts are the epitome of the axiom that opinions are like assholes and...well, you know the rest.

What a shame that he was too cowardly to allow himself to be interviewed for the piece. A shame, but not a surprise, for a guy that rails against others lack of accountability while not holding himself to the same standard.

RIP Sean, Casey and I still miss you and remember you fondly.

I was pleased with the production but the restriction of a 1 hour show really left a lot of things out. I wish they could have found a way to truly portray how much that even brought the fans of the Redskins, as well as players, fans, and coaches of other teams together. That 21 patch was EVERYWHERE, as well as the massive get together at the park that a lot of the members of the board here (unfortunately not me) were in attendance for. I thought they did a very good job of keeping it positive throughout though, not spinning it to where he was just another thug from Fla.

As I watched last night, I repeatedly found myself shaking my head and wondering why our franchise is so snakebitten.

While the documentary was well done overall, I think that the pieces related to Wilbon/Cowherd shouldn't even have been addressed. I really think that they took away from the true focus of the piece, which was to celebrate and honour a player that was truly one of a kind.

For those that missed it, or want to re-watch it, the 'A Football Life' Sean Taylor episode is now posted on the home page.

I worked last night and was unable to watch the program until just now.

Kudo's to Jason LaCanfora for having the fortitude to call out another member of the media for their shortsighted comments after Sean's death.

It was nice to see Sean's eyes in the face of his daughter. Very nice.

For those that missed it, or want to re-watch it, the 'A Football Life' Sean Taylor episode is now posted on the home page.
Thanks for this... I was away and honestly want nothing to do with the current Redskins for another 2 weeks. Watching this should make that possible.

How much is LaDouche Arrogant in the piece. Can't stand the sight of his face, or the sound of his lying voice.

Arrington is not in it. It's all Moss, CP, Ryan Clark, and Prileau (Gregg Williams and Gibbs too obviously).

Arrington is not in it. It's all Moss, CP, Ryan Clark, and Prileau (Gregg Williams and Gibbs too obviously).
Cool. Then I can watch it. One of the adds I heard for it mentioned Portis, and LaDouche specifically being part of it. Which is why I asked.

I don't recall seeing Arrington interviewed. Then again, I did have a couple of beers onboard and was chatting with ST and Mike throughout - if he shows up, my bad, and fast forward.

Arrington was in it, not interviewed, he gave Sean the pie face that comes across rather badly.

Yeah, LaDouche was completely jealous of Sean getting any of "his" attention. He'd already lost his unwarranted lofty spot, the second Joe Gibbs returned. Taylor coming here was more than he could take.

Taylor did more, in any one of his season's you could pick, than that overrated piece petrified maggot shit did during his whole football career.

Just watched this.

That was really tough to watch.

And that's all I got to say about that.

How much is LaDouche Arrogant in the piece. Can't stand the sight of his face, or the sound of his lying voice.

Zero, other than showing news broadcast of the shaving cream facepie he gave Sean... other words, nothing in a good light... ;)

If there's one thing I find more intolerable about LaWanda and his agents not being able to read English, it's how he turned Sean's funeral into a giant swim in Lake Me.

Nick

Watched it again tonight, but with my brother and dad this time. Not a dry eye in the living room at the end.

Dinner afterward was great though, we all talked about our favorite Sean Taylor plays...with big smiles on our faces.

Great piece. Very well done with some great insights into the man off the field. Very touching.

Kudos to the creators for calling out Wilbon and Cowherd. One of the few times in my life, I was happy to see JLC speak! And thank goodness, even though it is on NFLN - that they didn't sneak in MeVar!!!

Keim's thoughts

Some thoughts on the NFL Network's show "A Football Life" about former Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor:

• They covered the full Sean Taylor, showing the off-field issues and talking about his personal growth.

• He did not trust easily -- something Gregg Williams talked about quite often early in Taylor’s tenure here and again said in the show about how he had to earn it by always being honest with him. Also on the show, there was talk that people were going to soon get to know more about Taylor. You could see a change in his demeanor after his daughter’s birth. He was more respectful when declining to talk. A small, thing, yes. You could engage in a little small talk with him. The PR staff at the time -- and I had conversations with them about this before Taylor’s death -- felt he was close to breaking through in that area.

• That said, there always would have been a wary eye cast towards the media. That is fine; it’s not a crime. Taylor was like that with everyone, and would especially be that way with a group that could cast him in a certain light. He just wanted to play, not become a celebrity. Teammates such as Clinton Portis and Santana Moss not only attended school with him, but, more importantly, understood him

• Regarding the shaving cream pie in the face incident (I was among those talking to Shawn Springs at the time; he’s right there), what was told to me afterward is that Taylor was upset because no one had his back and warned him it was coming.

• Taylor felt more comfortable with female reporters. Maybe that stemmed from being a young guy, but after watching the show it was clear he had a special relationship with the females in his life. More trust perhaps? I also remember talking to him once while freelancing for the Associated Press. I had talked to him about the point of the article and how it would help to have his point of view. He agreed and gave me five minutes -- and was a terrific interview. After it was over, another reporter came out to try and talk to him. He wouldn’t do it; said he had just agreed to talk to me (we did not have some special relationship, but it was more that he had just given me his word and stuck to it).

• As someone who loves the strategy part of the game and how players are deployed, watching Taylor was amazing -- and it would have been even more fun to watch now that the All-22 film is available. "The time and distance he could cover was amazing," Williams said in the show. Yes, it was. They would align him in the slot on one side and have him drop to the deep half on the other side -- nobody does that.

• What a runner he was in high school; the vision, the quickness. Man.

• After his death, I remember talking to players who I thought would probably say they really didn’t know him instead saying how much they had grown to be fond of him. Certainly some teammates might have felt a certain way; you can always find someone who doesn’t like another player.

• All the talk about his passion for the game, from Joe Gibbs in particular, is exactly what they said before his death. Some guys were just born to play football. The way he practiced set him apart, though I didn’t realize how much extra effort he put into working out -- running home from the facility; 100-yard sprints before practice. He was even more about football than I realized.

• He definitely made mistakes on the field early in his career -- some missed tackles, etc. But you could see the growth and he was a natural in the middle of the field; he was a playmaker. I’ve said this more than a few times, but he was the perfect safety for the modern era of football because of his speed and ability to cover.

• Tough to see how deep the emotions remain for those who knew him best, a mourning for who they knew and what he was set to become -- off the field in particular. I don’t think anyone would paint him as some saint and that shouldn’t happen now. Even Gibbs admitted during the show after Taylor’s early mishaps, they felt they would have to keep a strong eye on him. It made the show honest.

• The best thing you can do after someone dies is not rush to judgment -- that is a lesson for many. It’s easier to believe that someone courted trouble than it is that it could just be a horrible incident in which one person’s crime was simply being at home and sleeping, with his fiance and baby.

Thoughts: Sean Taylor story - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.