• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cousins not starter material

Cycleans

The Starter
Reaction score
As a general rule I don't take sports journalist too seriously, I understand they have to make headlines where there are none...but it bothers me a lot when they say Cousins is a decent back up and nothing more. How do so many other crappy Qb's get a pass? Are they basing there judgment on last season? The sample size was to small to draw any conclusions...Isn't the development cycle at least a full season for all QB's? I can't say he is or isn't...but he looks pretty decent to me so far.

That's surprising, because I've seen the exact opposite. Most of the talking heads I've seen or heard say that Cousins is the perfect fit for this offense and will do well. The majority of the naysayers I've seen have come from our fan base. Personally, I think it's too early to tell. He's only been in a handful of games. He certainly makes some quick decisions, but I'd like to see him win a few games as a starter before I start thinking he's starter material.

The most popular guy in any NFL city with a losing record, is the backup QB. And it doesn't matter much what his name is.

And most of the time, the backup is deservedly, the backup.

Capt Kirk is our starter for now. I hope he lights it up like Las Vegas.

I live on the west coast so perhaps I hear a different bias...
That's surprising, because I've seen the exact opposite. Most of the talking heads I've seen or heard say that Cousins is the perfect fit for this offense and will do well. The majority of the naysayers I've seen have come from our fan base. Personally, I think it's too early to tell. He's only been in a handful of games. He certainly makes some quick decisions, but I'd like to see him win a few games as a starter before I start thinking he's starter material.

As afore mentioned, journalists making a headline where there isn't one. Everything I've seen & heard has been in contradiction to all the RG3 love, stating that Cousins is the better QB for us.

We will see, whether we want to or not. Personally, from what we've seen thus far, I think he COULD be another Tom Brady. The right QB in the right system under the right circumstances. That's all Tom Brady is. You put him in Dallas & he will stink like last weeks garbage in the hot sun. But this could very well be the system that Capt. Kirk needs to thrive in & be our Tom Brady. I'm not saying it's going to be that way, but I certainly am hoping.

Last edited:
He reminds me of Brees more than anyone else...he looks shorter than some, he's mobile and comfortable in the pocket.

As afore mentioned, journalists making a headline where there isn't one. Everything I've seen & heard has been in contradiction to all the RG3 love, stating that Cousins is the better QB for us.

We will see, whether we want to or not. Personally, from what we've seen thus far, I think he COULD be another Tom Brady. The right QB in the right system under the right circumstances. That's all Tom Brady is. You put him in Dallas & he will stink like last weeks garbage in the hot sun. But this could very well be the system that Capt. Kirk needs to thrive in & be our Tom Brady. I'm not saying it's going to be that way, but I certainly am hoping.

In reality, he seems to have the potential to either be another Brees, or another Grossman. In his limited playing time, he has resembled both.

Of course, better for us, that he be closer to Drew, than to The Sexy.

Kiper (yeah, I know) claims that Griff will never play for the Skins again, Cousins 'fits' and will perform well enough make Griff expendable.

Griffin will start again this year. I just have that feeling. And he's not going anywhere.

Most of the analysts are saying Cousins will win the job, because it's a story that sells, and gives them views and attention
If their report and opinion was that Cousins would be a non-factor, and Griffin would handily take his job back when healthy, then nobody would pay attention to a story like that, as it doesn't hold controversy or intrigue.

But the truth is, that none of us can say with a deep confidence, one way or another, how Cousins will play over that period.
So, it's kind of ridiculous to make such statements implying a definite outcome, as if they were gospel

So I wish they would all just back off of anointing him the new franchise QB, months (or longer) before the decision has to be made.
Just let the guy friggin play, and Cousins will answer everyone's questions, on the field in the next couple months.

Last edited:
Griffin will start again this year. I just have that feeling. And he's not going anywhere.

They question on my mind, is whether this is the type of injury, where he won't be the same player for a while (or ever) football wise, even after he has techinically physically recovered. In other words, is there the possibility that we see a replay of last year, where medically he was recovered and cleared to play, but he just can't perform the same, due to both the mental and physical aspects of the long-term effects of major surgery.
I wonder if we're just better off, waiting until next year for him to return, even if he's deemed healthy in a couple months.

As people no doubt noticed in the Recon of Eagles fans they have the same type of debate going about Cousins.

There's no rocket science going on to know why Cousins isn't going anywhere. He plays well over the next 4 games and he's the man. He plays poorly over the next 4 games and he ruins his chances for trade to be a starter. Either way he stays a Redskin. In the second scenario, RGIII plays again.

They have Cousins on NFLN right now with Mayock talking about how hes the first QB he's ever seen run his own pro day with none of his coaches there.

He says that hes good in the pocket, smart and processes everything quickly, sees the entire field, lets the ball go fast to where it should go. What else do you need?

I would tend to agree unless we happen to go into the BYE week at 7-2 or 6-3. Then all bets are off. If Cousins continues to look good, I can't see Gruden trotting Griff out there as long as the team is winning. Then again, after a blowout against the lowly Jags, that's probably putting the cart before the horse.

It's amazing the tremendous range of predictions on Cousins.
I've heard everything about him, from being the next Matt Flynn (or Cassel), to the next Tom Brady.
And of course everything in between.
You really could not possibly hear a wider spectrum of forecasts.

It's amazing the tremendous range of predictions on Cousins.
I've heard everything about him, from being the next Matt Flynn (or Cassel), to the next Tom Brady.
And of course everything in between.
You really could not possibly hear a wider spectrum of forecasts.

I think we will need a few more games before we know if he's more like Andy Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick but I'm hoping he can at least get us to 15-1 this year then we wont have to worry about a controversy anymore. It would've been a huge waste of first rounders if thats how it turns out though.

Why did Cousins look so much better running the boot than RG? He's not faster, and yet somehow he looks faster...

Keim: He made quicker decisions. Simple as that. Griffin knows he can elude defenders; Cousins knows he can't. So, on two bootlegs Sunday when defenders rushed at him, Cousins quickly planted and threw -- one for a completion, the other was a throwaway to avoid a sack. For Cousins, it's always about understanding who he is as a quarterback. Griffin takes longer because he sometimes knows if he's not completely fine with a throw, by extending the play another big opportunity can arise. Different mentalities based on unique skillsets.

Washington Redskins mailbag, Part 2: DeSean Jackson, punt returner? - ESPN

Pretty much the whole conversation in a nutshell.

Once Griff trusts what he sees pre-snap and is fearless (yes like 'Sexy) in making the throw then he'll be 'that guy', presuming of course that he can stay away from that dang injury thing.

In the meantime, Kirk can capably 'manage' the games he plays which we all hope leads to victories.

What could we get for RG3 in a trade?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.