• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

P90X

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Anyone pulled the trigger on the P90X exercise program? I have gotten in dramatically better shape this year, dropped 20+ lbs, increased my endurance to be able to do 50-60 mile bike rides at a respectable clip, etc...but I'm entering the time of year here in NC where it's tough to get out there on the bike, so I was looking for other options to get me through the winter. Although pricey, the P90X plan seemed enticing - so I should be getting it delivered to my doorstep today.

Anyone else had any experience with it?

My brother does P90X, as well as several of my friends. I think my brother lost over 20 lbs. with this program, his results were amazing. He has always been in relatively decent shape, but this program put him back into collegiate athlete form.

I think he's still thanking God for the program as the tuxedo shop sent him too small of a tuxedo for my wedding, but he still fit into it :D

Also, he forced me to do some of the workouts with him while I was home on break and they kicked my butt. That's not really saying much... However, my brother is a personal trainer and I majored in exercise science in college and we both think the exercises and diet are very legit.

I did the first hour workout before Thanksgiving - mostly chest and shoulders, lots of push-ups and pullups with some other stuff mixed in. I didn't even have a pullup bar set up (substituted some barbell stuff for that part) and today's the first day I can move without soreness. It'll take me awhile to be able to go multiple days in a row, but I'll get there. I like the variety in the program ....

We'll see how it goes....

I kind of like their motto/mantra...

'Bring it!'

I am 2 months into P90X, going into my 'last' 30 days. I've got to say, it's a pretty impressive workout program. You don't go into it unless you're motivated, because you are committing to a 60 minute workout daily minimum, sometimes 90 minutes. I have progressed from so sore I could barely walk, to heartrate challenged, from not being able to do 1/3 of the moves completely to a point where I can do almost everything, feel good, and although I break a good sweat, I'm mostly able to do the routines without a huge amount of distress.

I've had to modify the routines a little - there are a few of the yoga moves I still can't quite do, and I am doing pulldowns on my bowflex machine rather than pullups and chinups. Once I get through the 90 day routine in its entirety, I'm planning on doing it again, this time with pullups/chinups.

Am I in the best shape of my life? Hardly - but I've been in hellacious shape at a number of times in my life. Am I in the best shape I've been in in 15 years or so? Yep. I won't chalk it all up to P90X, I'm doing some major cycling on weekends that also has helped me trim down a lot. But I'm definitely getting pretty lean and ripped, and I think it's mostly P90X that's driven that. I've chosen not to follow the P90X diet regiment - its just far too big a pain in the ass for me. Instead, I eat only vegetables/chicken at lunch every day, and mostly fish/chicken/fresh vegetables for dinner during the week. On the weekends, I eat and drink what I want.

I'm looking forward to my last 30 days as there are a few routines that will be new during the home stretch. I'm going to push hard to see how much fitter I can actually get before I'm officially 'done' and decide whether or not to keep it going. I will say that I highly recommend the program. It's a bit on the pricey side, but its one of the better investments I've made in a couple years.

I'm pretty overweight so I've started off with their brother program Power 90. Which basically gets you in shape for P90X. It's a great program, I've lost 10lbs so far.

I know a lot of people who have done P90X and have been successful with it.

My friend lost 60lbs doing P90. It's unfortunate that he did not pay attention to any supplements or protein etc..... because he still cannot do one pull-up. All of that working out and not one pull-up. He is weak and looks like a stick figure...but he lost the weight.

I lost 30lbs on P90X last year. I gained 10lbs back over this winter, but I am going at it again. Just started round two this week. After this round of P90X, I think I am going to try Insanity. I love all of the energy that I have.

What keeps me motivated is all of my friend wives tell me I am good looking. I did not get that 30lbs ago. 30lbs ago I recieved compliments like 'you're cute,' cute does not cut it in my book.

Went from 245 to 205 using P90X. Muscle confusion works. Make sure to drink plenty of water from Sun up to Sun down and take sips during the workout. I did it about 3 years ago and Im up to 215 now.

I didnt get it off of the official website, I actually got it off of Ebay and it was allot cheaper.

I started at 245 back in January and am already down to 225 by diet and some exercise. I am thinking about this program, but my problem is that I cannot keep the weight off. I am afraid I will just gain it all back and more all over again.

I have been saying it, and hearing it for years now, but I have yet to implement into my life, it takes a lifestyle change. I have lost as much as 50 pounds before, only to gain it all back and more.

We'll see how this effort goes.

I'm with you, El. P90X is no doubt a great product, and if you follow it and work your ass off (literally) it can bring great results.

Thing is, as Boone noted, you have to be motivated enough to get after and stay after it in the first place. Which, translated, means "lifestyle change."

Last winter I was pushing 220--heaviest I've ever been. Was having lower back issues and starting to feel, at 48, old ... or at least feeling like I could see old from there.

Got scared, disgusted, and finally made the lifestyle change choice.

Stopped eating sugars. Stopped drinking beer and wine. Started PT with pushups, crunches, walking (knew better than to start right back in with running given previous knee/ankle issues). Over the past year I've steadily increased to hitting weights again whenever possible, a daily regimen of pushups, chin/pull ups and crunches, and running anywhere from 2 to 4 miles on average about 4 times a week.

I dropped as low as 175 about six weeks ago, and have now settled in and holding between 175-180. Not being crazy with the diet--just eating and drinking smart. I'm building tone again, the old legs have held up nicely, and I'm feeling about 20 years younger than I did at this time last year.

And I won't go back. At this point it's less about vanity (though any man tells you that's not at least part of his reason for sweating is lying) than it is an investment in the rest of my life. I plan to enjoy middle- and old age, at least as much as my genetics will let me, not merely survive them.

Sorry. Didn't intend to monologue. :)

Last edited:
I started at 245 back in January and am already down to 225 by diet and some exercise. I am thinking about this program, but my problem is that I cannot keep the weight off. I am afraid I will just gain it all back and more all over again.

I have been saying it, and hearing it for years now, but I have yet to implement into my life, it takes a lifestyle change. I have lost as much as 50 pounds before, only to gain it all back and more.

We'll see how this effort goes.

Ugh...I've been putting weight back on as well. My current problem is I know how to take it off (the system I used worked, and very well), so keep thinking "Oh the weight I'm putting back on is no big deal."

Gotta get ready for bikini season, and I have ZERO motivation. Well, very little.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm a big believer in P90X. It's not a gimmick. It's a serious workout and it works. I think the key thing is, it's relatively fun and entertaining to do in addition to having lots of variety. It's not a chore to 'keep pushing play'. I'm on week 11 and I'll redo the whole thing when I'm done. I've gone from a mushy nearly 200 lbs to less than 170 and pretty strong and toned. I recently had to throw-down with a 300lb psychotic patient at work and, seriously, I don't know how it would've turned out had I not been in the best shape I've been in in a long long while. If you want to turn your physical body around, this is a crash course. I highly recommend it.

MikeSr619, Cardio is hard to keep up with at first, but stick with it. It took me until phase 2 to even get close to keeping up.

Also, once you get past the first 45 minutes of yoga, it is pretty smooth sailing. In fact, this is now my favorite workout. When I first began last year, it was my least favorite.

I bought mine off of Amazon for $50.

I'm mid-week 12 right now, then I'm going to do the whole thing over again. I'm the lightest and leanest I've been in 15 years, but a little tired if I'm being honest. Still the best exercise program I've stumbled onto..

I am getting ready to go into the rest week before phase three. I may try the Insanity videos after I am done here, just to do something different.

All right, I figure if I post this, I can stay accountable to another group of people. I am going to be doing Power90 starting this week, as soon as I get the new free weights I ordered. I am a fat slob right now, and am looking forward to getting back to college, pre-married shape.

Ask me about it often, if you remember!

So, how long do these workouts take?

Anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. Three workouts are almost a hour long and then you have about a fifteen minute ab ripper.

Kenpo and Plyometrics are about an hour with no Ab Ripper on those days.

The Yoga is about an hour and a half.

Eating properly is the big key to these workouts. I started an Excel sheet so i can keep up with my nutrition. It is working. At the end of the day it really helps keep you in line when you can see how good or bad you ate

the cardio one is 45 minutes. some of it is kind of lame; almost like a jazzercise and i dont do that part..lol

I think the cardio workout is designed for those who can't handle 'plyometrics' - that's a pretty physical one for someone just starting out. I rarely do the entire Ab Ripper X - I find that thing a real bitch!

And I have not followed the nutrition plan which I did look at but found it very complicated. I have just adjusted my diet - eating almost totally vegetables at lunch (sometimes with a chicken breast) and try to eat a lot of fish during the week for dinner. Weekends I do what I want - I still am leaner now than I've been in 15 years. So while the diet plan might be helpful, I think religiously doing the workouts daily is the key. No doubt you can get even better results with the diet plan, but its not as critical as I think they advertise.

I think the diet plan is the key. The nutrition guide is great in my opinion. This is my second time through and I am not eating as well as I did the first time. I can definitely see the difference in weight loss between the two. In my opinion, if you don't eat well, then the workouts are almost pointless.

Boone, careful with the fish. I was eating a lot of fish because of the protein. Went to the doctor, I am fairly healthy, and they told me I had dangerously high cholestorol at 31 years old. Turns out, all the fish I was eating was having a negative side effect. It has tons of cholesterol in it.

Now, I eat a lot of soy based products to get my protein without the cholesterol. The soy based products are getting better and better, as far as taste. Morningstar just came out with a California Turkey pattie that is delicious, well not as good as real meat but hey, I have to compromise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.