• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

One play that changed everything...

Kirk Cousins is better right now? You base this on what exactly? There is nothing other than the seeds of stupidity planted by media conjecture/rumor mongering to ever consider Cousins over RG3. RG3 had the greatest rookie season of all time. OF ALL TIME. Played good against the Texans but the team kept shooting itself in the foot. Was playing lights out against the hapless Jags until the unlucky injury.

http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2014/09/15/how-good-is-kirk-cousins/

Last edited:
We'll differ on this until the end. Potential doesn't mean squat if you can't make the club from the tub. You can't tell me with certainty who will will tonight, Thursday night, next Sunday or next week. Chances are though, those players who are there to play the game have the most "upside. "

Cousins has done fine at times. He also stunk it up last season in major ways. In short, your admonition applies to Cousins as well. Any concersation about Cousins is basically the same - potential.

I am somewhat amused: currently in a locale where I can't watch the game. I did see videos on-line later last night. The play where RGIII was hurt? the one where the pass was completed save for the hit on D-Jax? That was an athletic move Cousins canot make. I have my frustrations with RGIII like others....but it's not accurate to label it all as an empty exercise in potential. he executed a huge number of great plays in 2012, fewer in 2013 and some this season. it's not "he can't or hasn't done it". he has. it's about moving to a level where it becomes second nature. instinctively feeling the pocket. frustrating as it might be...that will take time.

Or maybe it's an athletic move Cousins does not necessitate.
RG3 often doesn't see open receivers whereas Cousins is quick to find them, so perhaps he completes it before even feeling the need to start scrambling

Re watch the game, and you'll see Cousins miss receivers running free more then once, dumping it off on the shorter rout. Sometimes, it seemed he went through his progression too fast, not letting the play develop. I don't have a real problem with that being teams he's due to face over the next few weeks have a far better pass rush, and our line... well you know.

The biggest issue with all of this is we're comparing apples to oranges. You have Cousins coming from a system that ran a pro style offense, and Griffin who ran an option style offense. While Griffin will be able to adapt to more conventional type system over time, Cousins will never be able to run the option with the success of Griffin. Gruden clearly likes the ability to call those options from time to time, as it gives one more thing D's have to plan for. I have no doubt we would have hung even more points on the Jags if Robert was on the field the entire game. Their D had nothing for Cousins, and Griffin is far more dangerous. Cousins had a great game, and I'm as happy as a puppy with two peckers we rolled without skipping a beat. Right now, behind our line, the Qb better be able to scramble.

Lets see how Cousins fares with a real rush in his face.

I was at the game and noticed he had a slight limp after this sack:

5417274580c13.image.jpg

also, with all the talk about FedEx's field, I have yet to read anyone question RG3's cleats. Perhaps Adidas just makes crappy cleats? It is twice now that his cleats have stuck in the turf causing a significant injury.

Or maybe it's an athletic move Cousins does not necessitate.
RG3 often doesn't see open receivers whereas Cousins is quick to find them, so perhaps he completes it before even feeling the need to start scrambling

what kind of data set is that based on Fear? Cousins thru a whole bunch of styupid picks last season. we all know that if we were to play Seattle tomrrow they eat him up for lunch. he's in the same boat as Robert - not enough gametime experience. Cousins played more tin the pocket in Colelge so he has a leg up...for the moment...in that respect. but I hardly foind that criteria for making long-run assertions about how this is all goping to play out.

RGIII wasn't RTOY and H-man winnders because he could run. He realized those accolades because he QB'd teams to winning records.

Honest question - why do we have to tear one or the other down based on our personal preferences? Can't we just root for whomever's out there and leave it at that? The nitpicking and crying about every little mistake and flaw - good luck finding a starter EVER that doesn't make mistakes or have areas they can improve on.

I'm thankful we've got Griffin and Cousins. Compared to the QBs we've been forced to root and delude ourselves about over the years, they are both world beaters.

also, with all the talk about FedEx's field, I have yet to read anyone question RG3's cleats. Perhaps Adidas just makes crappy cleats? It is twice now that his cleats have stuck in the turf causing a significant injury.

Isn't that the point of cleats, to dig into the turf to provide traction? So the cleats are doing what they are supposed to. You know they make different cleats (sizes) that attach? Maybe Griffin simply chose the wrong cleats if they're sticking too much.

5417274580c13.image.jpg

Ya, I saw the article that featured that pic. Sure looks like he could have strained it prior to the real injury.

Isn't that the point of cleats, to dig into the turf to provide traction? So the cleats are doing what they are supposed to. You know they make different cleats (sizes) that attach? Maybe Griffin simply chose the wrong cleats if they're sticking too much.

Or could it be the reverse..... I know that when you expect to plant a foot, and it slides a little, even a split second, it's real easy to roll an ankle or tweak a knee because the leg / joints are prepared for one thing, and get another. They use the expression "stuck", but it seems to me when running, when a cleat sticks, the player often trips. Being tackled is when a player is often injured from a cleat not giving up it's grip... "Sticking"

I guess it doesn't really matter now. We can only hope he returns this season.

Winner:applouse:
Honest question - why do we have to tear one or the other down based on our personal preferences? Can't we just root for whomever's out there and leave it at that? The nitpicking and crying about every little mistake and flaw - good luck finding a starter EVER that doesn't make mistakes or have areas they can improve on.

I'm thankful we've got Griffin and Cousins. Compared to the QBs we've been forced to root and delude ourselves about over the years, they are both world beaters.

Honest question - why do we have to tear one or the other down based on our personal preferences? Can't we just root for whomever's out there and leave it at that?
Because too many people need to feel they're right, and beat their chests like Not Wrong Kong

Kirk Cousins is better right now? You base this on what exactly? There is nothing other than the seeds of stupidity planted by media conjecture/rumor mongering to ever consider Cousins over RG3. RG3 had the greatest rookie season of all time. OF ALL TIME. Played good against the Texans but the team kept shooting itself in the foot. Was playing lights out against the hapless Jags until the unlucky injury.

http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2014/09/15/how-good-is-kirk-cousins/
Better based on his one win in 3/4 of a game this year and his availability. Defend, rally behind, make excuses... Whatever you have to do for Griffin. He's injured and on the sideline again. Too much talk about someone who's not available to compete for the job.

As for better overall? Well if you like clumsy scrambling for no touchdowns while taking a beating then you're for Griffin. If your for dropping back AND stepping up and taking what the defense gives you for touchdowns, many first downs, rhythm, consistency and timing without panic in the pocket or holding the ball too long... Cousins.

Admittedly Houston put up a much better defensive effort, but Kirk patiently and effectively took what was there for the win. I like that and think it's better than extending busted plays or misread plays for an extra second while putting yourself and your teams future in jeopardy. Those of you saying Griffin was playing awesome were watching a different game than I. I now think Griffin is a bigger project than he was worth in picks. I understand a lot of the love for Griffin and I hope he pulls it together but right now? I'm afraid it's time to move on for now.

He will undoubtedly have the opportunity to prove me wrong due to his cost to the franchise and all that potential. I hope he can compete and or contribute but I'm OK if its not this year.

I'm not tearing him down as much as I'm simply disappointed that he hasn't improved from what he was his rookie year. Great year but I'm one that gives the Shanahans a lot of credit for both 2012 and 13. I like what Cousins has to offer this team and luckily we'll get to see what he is all about with a coaching staff who gives a crap this year.

Call me what you want folks, Griffin is right, one player doesn't define this team.

I'll wait until we play a real NFL team before I crown him.

Like this Sunday.

still love how you guys think we're so much better than the jags. Really makes me chuckle. Thx

I chuckle, too, at those who think that the Jags are somehow a litmus test that can produce concrete indications of future success. We beat them offensively with our second team receivers. Garcon caught one ball late, DJ and Reed were out. Roberts moved into the #2 spot, Grant got extended time, and Niles Paul looked like Tony Gonzales.

Yeah, we aren't that good and Jacksonville is that bad.

still love how you guys think we're so much better than the jags. Really makes me chuckle. Thx

yea it's as amusing as thinking Cousins is a world beater and Griffin a bust after one game against one of if not THE worst team in the league. ;)

Washington Redskins Ryan Clark unimpressed with blowout win - ESPN

ASHBURN, Va. -- Ryan Clark has a message for teammates: Don’t be too impressed by Sunday. It’s one not often delivered in Washington, but Clark wants them to know that Jacksonville is not a good team and what happened Sunday, well, should have.

It’s one of the reasons the Washington Redskins like having Clark around. He’s played for winning teams in the NFL -- two Super Bowls -- and another one in college at LSU. He knows what a winning effort must look like over 16 games, not just one. Part of it is not falling in love with what you did the previous week. Like Sunday, when the Redskins held Jacksonville to 148 yards, recorded 10 sacks and won 41-10.

“Going into this week we can’t throw a party, can’t hang balloons around lockers,” Clark said.

Don’t get Clark wrong. A 31-point win in the NFL is always good, regardless of the opponent.

“The way we were rushing, I could have kept my clothes on from before the game,” he said. “I did absolutely nothing. It’s why I feel decently good today. I’m excited about that. It was good.”

But ...

“In my honest opinion, this is a team that’s waiting around until they can get Blake Bortles ready to go,” Clark said. “That’s how you’re supposed to play against a team like that, a team down its No. 1 receiver and missing a very good receiver due to suspension. You’re supposed to play well against them. It’s not any barometer of how good we can be this season or how good we were [Sunday].

Because too many people need to feel they're right, and beat their chests like Not Wrong Kong

thank God you aren't susceptible to thinking it's ok to commit to a point-of-view and defending it!!! life is so much more....hmmmm...antiseptic that way!

I kid. I kid brotha.

I can't speak for others. I sees what I sees. And I communicate what I knows. Didn't spend 21 yrs in the Service to be told how to think. as long as there is self-control and discretion...life is good and the Founding Fathers still have an edge!

anywho....getting back to our favorite team: Boone is right that no matter who stands at the tiller....winning trumps personality contests. I don't think anyone on this board wishes failure for Cousins. I do believe the dynamic is to hope for ultimate success for RGIII. nothing wrong with looking at all the angles.

Hey hey hey... I'm getting beat on for being positive about our starting QB? My how things can change.

Look guys, it may see I'm in love with Kirk but facts are that he's the best we have right now so I choose to believe in him. I'm not sitting here saying he's Tom Brady, really I'm not... But he gives us a chance to win some games this year if he plays like he did and keeps getting better. Without even mentioning the other guys name, I saw some good things from Kirk. I saw some of the flaws pointed out too. But you know what? I didn't cringe everytime he dropped back after his first couple of passes... one of which was a touchdown... again. He's done that before. I know he's not a world beater and I'm not delusional about his limits (although I have been on some pretty good pain meds this week) I see a guy who had the fundamentals in place to make progress with the offense. I choose to look at it as a step forward when we could have very easily taken a big step backward again this year. In a few games I may be reassessing this I give you that... but you know what, all I have really come to ask for is some progress and DON'T ****ING EMBARRASS ME! This week they exceeded my expectations for a change.

Hate on Kirk?? He's the best we got right now so yall might as well get your elbows off the table and join me for a little while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.