• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Discussing the potential future benching og RG3

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
I know this is going to be controversial, just to bring this up and start a thread on it, especially at this point in time, but it is purely hypothetical, and it is not an unrealistic scenario, and chances are eventually we would have to face this, as much as we don't want to.

So it is not meant to bash RG3, or demand a change at this point in time at all, but just purely looking ahead at the possibilities.

Questions I can't help but to think about, are .....

1) What would it take, as in level of performance, for Griffin to be benched in favor of Cousins (indefinitely or permanent) ?

2) What is the earliest time, calendar-wise, that it could happen ?

3a) Do you feel that Gruden is capable of making a fair decision on such a QB change, regardless of how controversial and difficult it would be ?

3b) How much will the price we paid to obtain RG3, factor into that decision, or delaying of the decision ? Or not so much, since Gruden did not make the transaction to get him, so he wouldn't feel so liable for "un-doing" it ?

4) How bad do you think RG3 would react if it happened ?

5) How bad would the general fan population react, if it happens ?

Again, I am not saying it should happen, or wishing it happens, or predicting it. I'm just saying that it very well could happen, so I am curious to look at the events that would lead up to the scenario, and beyond, including the repercussions.

I like both Griffin and Cousins, and hope they both have success wherever they go, whether it's here or elsewhere. I would not object to either of them being QB, as long as they prove they are the best man for the job. And we all know that the best man for the job does not always win the job, due to other factors. So I am not playing favorites, at all. But will the coach play favorites ?

So, how do you see this playing out, if it becomes obvious over time, that Griffin proves that he is unable to carry the load, as good as Cousins does ?

Last edited:
What has Cousins ever done to prove he gives us a better shot to win than Griffin? A drive against an already tired ravens team? Beat the browns? Lose against the seahawks?

He had 3 starts last year and lost all of them. Against some pretty bad defenses I might add.

He threw interceptions in the preseason and was just as shaky. He hasn't earned his spot as a starter unless the starter gets hurt.

Thanks for the reply, but I think you're missing the point of the post.
The question is not to debate whether Cousins appears to be the better QB right now.
I am not saying Cousins is better.... But he could be.
So, the question is, basically what would have to happen to the change to be made.

I didn't miss any point, I'm stating that cousins has done nothing to prove he could do a better job so outside of an injury he doesn't deserve to start.

You go with the starter now unless you have better. And we dont.

I don't think, short of injury, RGIII get benched this year. This season is about starting to turn him into a "pro style" QB, so I think the team is willing to take its lumps.

Nick

I know this is going to be controversial, just to bring this up and start a thread on it, especially at this point in time, but it is purely hypothetical, and it is not an unrealistic scenario, and chances are eventually we would have to face this, as much as we don't want to.

So it is not meant to bash RG3, or demand a change at this point in time at all, but just purely looking ahead at the possibilities.

1) What would it take, as in level of performance, for Griffin to be benched in favor of Cousins (indefinitely or permanent) ?
I would say if we are midseason and the offense is failing to make good progress?
An Injury could make it happen next week...
3a) Do you feel that Gruden is capable of making a fair decision on such a QB change, regardless of how controversial and difficult it would be ?

I think Gruden will elevate himself to rockstar status if he can make a franchise qb with Griffin or Cousins.
I believe making a decision on a benching a qb to be much less of a quality than extracting the most out of the Qbs one has...So far Dalton developed well...but the sample size is to small.

3b) How much will the price we paid to obtain RG3, factor into that decision ? Or not so much, since Gruden did not make the transaction to get him, so he wouldn't feel so liable for "un-doing" it ?

At this point the price is irrelevant...What if the Skins won 2 Superbowls in the next 5 yrs. and Griffin wasn't the starter? I would be content...Especially if Griffin get's another opportunity somewhere else and we get decent trade value.
4) How bad do you think RG3 would react if it happened ?

I like Griffin and believe he might want a fresh start if things don't go well here. 5) How bad would the general fan population react, if it happens ?

It's all about winning the fans can be very understanding if we are winning the division on a regular basis.
Again, I am not saying it should happen, or wishing it happens, or predicting it. I'm just saying that it very well could happen, so I am curious to look at the events that would lead up to the scenario, and beyond, including the repercussions.

I like both Griffin and Cousins, and hope they both have success wherever they go, whether it's here or elsewhere. I would not object to either of them being QB, as long as they prove they are the best man for the job. And we all know that the best man for the job does not always win the job, due to other factors. So I am not playing favorites, at all. But will the coach play favorites ?

So, how do you see this playing out, if it becomes obvious over time, that Griffin proves that he is unable to carry the load, as good as Cousins does ?

Any QB can be benched for failure to perform. Hell, Gibbs benched Rypien once for suckage. Turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to Ryp (he said so himself), and arguably led to the single greatest season in Redskins history.

If Jay Gruden sees something in Robert's development or lack thereof, feels the offense is underperforming directly as a result, and does NOT see Robert making requisite progress, he'll do what any head coach would have to do. Make a change.

What happens after that would depend on all kinds of factors--how the replacement does, how the offense does, how the team does, and how Robert deals with it, both in terms of his play and his demeanor.

I know this is going to be controversial, just to bring this up and start a thread on it, especially at this point in time, but it is purely hypothetical, and it is not an unrealistic scenario, and chances are eventually one of you might have to face this, as much as you don't want to.

So it is not meant to bash anyone's manliness, or suggest that it's happening at this point in time at all, but just purely looking ahead at the possibilities.

1) What would it take, as in level of sexual performance, for a man to be benched in favor of me (indefinitely or permanent) ?

3a) Do you feel that a woman, drunk from staring into my dreamy eyes, is capable of making a fair decision on such a change, regardless of how controversial and difficult it would be ?

3b) How much will the price to be paid to obtain my sexual expertise, factor into that decision ? Or not so much, since my knowledge and skills are so off the charts, that she wouldn't feel guilty for going after such an upgrade in pleasurable ecstasy, no matter the cost?

4) How bad do you think their men would react if it happened ?

5) How bad would the general male population react, if it happens ?

I like both my old lady and everyone else's, (the pretty ones) and hope that all other women get pleasure from their own men. I would not object to any of them asking their men to try and emulate me, as long as they realize I'm always gonna be the best man for the job. And we all know that the best man for the job does not always get the job, due to other factors. Like already being married to Mrs. Awesome. So I am not seeking to steal your women, at all. But will they seek me out?

So, how do you see this playing out, if it becomes obvious over time, that you just can't deliver the load, as good as I can?

I believe it was Marcie who said ... "you're weird, sir."

Last edited:
I believe it was Marcy who said ... "you're weird, sir."

Who, me?
feed-me-weird-things_500.jpg

I have been banging the "RG3 is not the our future" drum louder than most here, but he deserves at least an entire season with Gruden before the decision is made to bench him, provided he doesn't get injured.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the 'this is a hypothetical' and 'eventually we will have to face it' statements.

We should consider the possibility (arguably even the likelihood) that Griffin will show steady progress and eventually prosper.

Flacco is just starting to look like a real NFL QB during the regular season. Just sayin'...

Flacco is just starting to look like a real NFL QB during the regular season. Just sayin'...

Neo, I have watched a lot of Ravens games over the past 5 years and Joe Flacco has had incredible moments on the field...dating back to his victory over the Steelers in his 2nd season, looking like the best QB in the league. Unfortunately, it's usually followed up by a game like we saw from him last week. So far this season, it's the blunderous (is that a word) performance first and all-pro 2nd.

Neo, I have watched a lot of Ravens games over the past 5 years and Joe Flacco has had incredible moments on the field...dating back to his victory over the Steelers in his 2nd season, looking like the best QB in the league. Unfortunately, it's usually followed up by a game like we saw from him last week. So far this season, it's the blunderous (is that a word) performance first and all-pro 2nd.

I can say exactly the same thing about Griffin and that was my point. Consistency. Flacco is just NOW, after 5 years as a starter, looking consistently like an NFL QB.

I can say exactly the same thing about Griffin and that was my point. Consistency. Flacco is just NOW, after 5 years as a starter, looking consistently like an NFL QB.

But I am saying he doesn't. Last week he looked terrible. He is still very inconsistent and everyone who said give him time are now questioning how much longer the Ravens will keep him. I say, just long enough that every time he starts to look bad, it takes one great game for them to forget the previous 1, 2, or 3 weeks of suckage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.