• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Discussing the potential future benching og RG3

5. Washington Redskins (16th)
PB: 4th, RB: 10th, PEN: 3rd

Stud: An All-Pro-(or at least second team)-like performance from Trent Williams (+38.3). He has moments that make you smack your head, but by and large he’ll slow down elite pass rushers and has the kind of athleticism that generates movement whatever scheme you’re running.

Dud: Too many bad days for Chris Chester (-5.5) who continues to baffle with his streaky play.

Analysis: This ranking won’t please many Redskins fans who see the line as the root of their problems. The truth is the Shanahans had the zone blocking scheme working perfectly with huge cutback lanes regularly there for their backs to work with.

Much is made of the hits Robert Griffin III took as if every single one of them must be the responsibility of the line. Well we charged RGIII himself with 10 of those sacks (more than any other player on the team) as the team gave whoever was quarterback ample time to get the job done.

The big question now is what Jay Gruden intends for this line and whether he’ll move to a more power based scheme that could put a number of jobs on the line.

Actually, you may be surprised how often this type of "hypothetical situation" thread appears in fan forums. I run across them all the time doing Redskins Recon. I guess it might be a way for fans to deal with unresolved fears and hopes by exposing them to a public discussion. I don't find them personally appealing but that's just me.

While trying to be kind to Fear the Spear who I like and value, this is the kind of thread that Atlanta Skins Fan used to post on ES pretty regularly, not really seriously, but knowing it would elicit a vigorous response :) Thing is, although it may piss people off when they see a thread like this and often bring out the worst in people, we aren't in the business of being a 'rah-rah only' site where anyone who has a more negative view of things gets shouted down.

For me, a lot of it is chicken and egg. In the end, it boils down to two questions:

1) Can the Oline anchor better in pass protection and not get so easily pushed back? (Even IF they're maintaining their blocks which elicit decent grades for that from various sites)

2) Can Robert make more plays when they don't? Either by finding the slightest bit of room within the pocket to throw from or, when bailing from the pocket, being more elusive and finding space/time to find the open guy if there is one. And, if there isn't anyone open, can he get the timing down better with knowing when to throw it away and when to commit to running past the LOS?

We DO have the worst pass blocking in the league, and it's not even close.

Sacks don't tell the whole story. That is one stat, that by itself, only reflects a small fraction of the Line's performance. How does Philly look on the plays they don't have a sack, compared to ours ?
Why don't you look at other indicators that reflect excessive pressure : like hurries, hits on the QB, forced to throw away, forced to scramble and run, forced to throw to into tight coverage due to pressure, forced to change your whole game-plan to include dinks and dunks because your QB has no time to throw the ball, etc etc.

So, how about a stat that shows the average amount of seconds before his pocket completely collapses and he has 3 defenders in his face, and 3 of his lineman blown backwards, falling onto his ankles.
That would be the most important stat, and I'm estimating it would average about half of a second, on every play, thus far this year, and by far the worst in the league. The "hang time" of our O-line is almost zero. They can't hang hardly, at all
The line is pushed back so repeatedly and dominantly, that RG3 actually has to worry about getting sacked by his own offensive linemen teammates getting thrust backwards on top of him. Watching a pass play on the Redskins and RG3 is like watching a swarm of ants enveloping their prey.

We have significant major breakdowns on the O-line, on virtually every single play, whether or not there's a sack.
Just because the opposing defense did not register a sack on the play, does not mean the offensive line was successful.
Their job isn't just to avoid a sack, but to provide a reasonable pocket, and most importantly a reasonable amount of time, before the pressure hits him. Both of those areas indicate huge suckage.
s

If I can add my .02, it goes back to the coaching. The answer to what you saw on Sunday, is a commitment to the running game (which we have a good one) and then allow Griffen to play action. Not for him to run but to pass. The running game keeps the defense on their heels and the play action is the key to first downs while taking the pressure off the OL. Nothing requires Robert to run. Now, Gruden should, and will, make the adjustment. really, that was his brother's bread and butter, and you know he knows.

Last edited:
Great qbs generally have pretty decent pass protecting lines in front of them.

RG3 has shit in front of him.

lol, I don't know if you were trying to be funny but that last line cracked me up in its brashness. It certainly seems like that's what he has in front of him at times, I'll give you that, haha.

I think its totally fair to say that the line has some issues and Rg3 has some issues, but neither are the exclusive reason for poor play.

I think its totally fair to say that the line has some issues and Rg3 has some issues, but neither are the exclusive reason for poor play.

Interesting to see how the pass protection looked so much better with Cousins in there.
At least part of that is the fact that Cousins reads defenses/receivers better, and has a quicker release.

whos the big pass rusher in JAX?

Can't wait to revisit this discussion once we know when Robert will be back.

Interesting to see how the pass protection looked so much better with Cousins in there.
At least part of that is the fact that Cousins reads defenses/receivers better, and has a quicker release.

They looked pretty decent with either QB in there today IMHO

Need to see Cousins against a better defense. Skins would have won with either QB today. And, he did take a sack that he should have recognized and gotten rid of the ball. One mistake, but something other teams will look at.

Need to see Cousins against a better defense. Skins would have won with either QB today. And, he did take a sack that he should have recognized and gotten rid of the ball. One mistake, but something other teams will look at.

He doesn't have much game experience so he's going to be making those mistakes.

Figured I would put a relevant edit to fix that.

No, that's not what I'm talking about.
Jaguars game included, if you watch the pass protection/defensive line pressure, even within the Jags game, you can see a clear difference between RG3 vs the Jags Line, and Cousins vs Jags Line. Not just the Texans.

I think you're imagining things. Cousins makes quicker decisions and generally gets rid of the ball when there's nothing there. Griffin tends to hold and hold and hold, often to his detriment. What you're seeing is that an OL, any OL, can only sustain protection for so long - and Griffin puts more pressure on them to do so.

I think you're imagining things. Cousins makes quicker decisions and generally gets rid of the ball when there's nothing there. Griffin tends to hold and hold and hold, often to his detriment. What you're seeing is that an OL, any OL, can only sustain protection for so long - and Griffin puts more pressure on them to do so.

Well, what I was implying is that Cousins, at the very least, gives the illusion of an improvement in pass protection, for the reasons you mentioned.

Boone, you said in Chat today that Cousins will be a career Redskin.
Could you elaborate on that ?
Did you see something new or different in Cousins today, or was it something else that made you say that ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.