• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

When Will the Redskins Learn?

GSF

The Starter
Reaction score
Guys, I have a bad feeling about this season. After watching that crappy game tonight, guys can complain about RG3, Rambo and the defense, special teams, Gruden's play-calling, and probably a few more things I'm forgetting, but none of those things are really the problem. The Redskins have 1 huge problem that is the core issue that leads to so many other problems: The Redskins can't protect. They can't pass protect, and they can't protect the kickers or punters.

This is not a new problem. We all knew this last year. Most of us knew deep down we were going to have the same problem this year. How the Redskins don't know this year after year is absolutely mind boggling to me. We watched Polumbus and Chester get scorched play after play, game after game last year. How is it possible that we all see this but the Redskins do not.

There was nothing wrong with the special teams tonight. Returns were good, punts were good, coverage was mostly good. The only problem with teams tonight was the oline couldn't block for them.

The defense looked pretty decent early on. Just like they did in a lot of games last year. If you can't block, you can't consistently sustain drives, and if you can't do that the defense will wear down.

Play calling? Felt a lot like last year didn't it? Some stupid gadgets in the flats and some good runs, but couldn't make plays work down field and rarely called them. Blame KS and JG all you want, but the situation hasn't changed. They were/are very limited in what they can do b/c they know their line can't protect. The only thing I blame Gruden on in the game tonight was he should have just kept running the ball play after play until Houston stopped them, which they never did.

RG3? Ok looked a little jittery back there, but holy shit can you blame him? He knows what's coming: a beat down from JJ Watt. Watt is a stud, but it's going to be coming every week because most teams have at least one guy that can have their way with Polumbus or Chester whenever they want. RG3 is very close to becoming permanently damaged goods at this point. Most of you guys have been around long enough to remember the poundings Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell took behind similarly crappy olines. Both QBs showed a lot of potential early on and became damaged goods behind shitty olines. Just like what's happening to RG3. Again, how is it possible that we all see this year after year, and the Redskins do not?

How in the world have the Redskins allowed this to happen yet again? I had high hopes that Gruden would be different, but so far he looks to be going down the same exact road.

If this is going to be the game plan for the rest of the season, it's going to be a long season. This oline isn't going to suddenly figure out how to block. If I'm in charge, I would have to really give serious thought to Putting in Moses and Long now. They won't be as good at run blocking, and they will blow assignments for sure, but they really can't be worse than Chester an Polumbus at protecting the QB. Also, an I know this will be looked at as crazy talk by many, I would give serious consideration to making the change at QB. I'm not arguing that Cousins is better than RG3, though I have a feeling he might be. I would just do it until the oline gels enough to be able to provide some sort of consistent protection. If the Redskins keep playing RG3 behind this line, his career could be over by the end of the season, if not sooner.

The most frustrating part about this is the irony. What was the one constant with the Redskins when they were winning superbowls? The oline of course. Different QBs came and went, the defense was kind of up and down, but the Redskins always had a tremendous line in those days.

Jay Gruden needs to make a decision right now. Is he in this for the long haul, or is he just trying to win games now? I sincerely hope he is brave enough to rip off the band aid, and make the difficult decisions that need to be made to finally turn this team around for the long haul. Otherwise he's just going to be another failed coach in DC.

There's a book called "Football for Dummies". In the book it explains how you build your team, starting from the Line, and build off of that.
Somehow, that book was checked out of the Redskin Library over 2 decades ago, and never returned, leaving a major void of vital reading material for our staff.

The Redskins haven't had a starting caliber RT since Jon Jansen, and he was terrible his last couple years. So what is that, 10 years with no RT?

The Redskins had multiple kicks and punts blocked last year. First game of the season they have a punt and an extra point blocked. Is anyone really surprised? Can't blame Danny Smith this time, but it's the same bums blocking...

Best observation in here in a long time. Just nailed it.

What annoys me most is yet again except for a few brain farts we would have won

And thats happening far too often

How hard is it to do your job? they are paid handsomely to do their Job.

I once had a soccer fan tell me after a derby game, the players who do not realise how much it hurts to lose.

he is spot on, and it can be used on any sports team

TR1, yes Polumbus has been getting dominated regularly, but it's not just him. Chester is equally bad if not worse, and lichtensteiger isn't a whole lot better. I'm not sure about the new guy yet. This line gets blown back into the QB regularly. Over and over again, play after play, season after season. It doesn't matter who's in there because they just keep replacing scrubs with more scrubs. Yes they can zone run block very well, but that's all they can do.

What annoys me most is yet again except for a few brain farts we would have won

And thats happening far too often

How hard is it to do your job? they are paid handsomely to do their Job.

I once had a soccer fan tell me after a derby game, the players who do not realise how much it hurts to lose.

he is spot on, and it can be used on any sports team

OK, maybe had they not had the fumbles they could have beaten the Texans, but probably not. The brain farts aren't the problem my friend.

Scotland huh? I am hoping to get there this year or next to play some links golf and watch some soccer. Been a dream of mine for many years to go there.

Amen. At this point, really, can it hurt to get Lerib/Long and Compton/Moses in there for Chester and Polumbus?

We need for Moses and Long to develop quickly. Hard to judge RG3 when playing behind the RH side of our OL.

Watt had a field day lining up over Chester and Polumbus. The Texans knew this and exploited them.

Shanahan built its OL with smaller guys for his zone blocking game. Problem is don't work in passing game.

The most frustrating part about this is the irony. What was the one constant with the Redskins when they were winning superbowls? The oline of course. Different QBs came and went, the defense was kind of up and down, but the Redskins always had a tremendous line in those days.

There's no denying that the Oline is THE problem. And, I agree that they need to make decisions now in terms of getting people in here that can do a better job protecting the QB. You are also right that it is crazy talk to put another QB in until the line gels enough to protect the QB. That just won't work. It's still a business & he won't take that at all, much less well.

Don't forget that Watt is not human. That man is a machine & proved why he is making $100 mil. I don't think there is another defensive player in the League that plays out of his mind like Watt. That said, I'm not saying that someone won't figure out how to contain him. Someone will. But for now, it's not here.

The entire right-side of the Line is absolute garbage and it's something that should have been handled through FA. We can't wait to draft both positions and say "Ok, these guys will be along in a year or two."

What's worse is it has been garbage for the last two prior seasons, only 2012 RGIII was able to make them look passable.

Nick

We should have picked up Jonathan Martin as BB implored us to do. He would've been a huge upgrade at RT. Just ask the 49ers who started him yesterday.

Now I am imploring us (via chat, here, on FB, etc.) to start Long and Moses. Again, they are of no use being inactive on game day. Let them start now and begin a learning process. We'll need to be patient about it, but the time has come. The team also needs to consider inserting LeRibeus into the lineup. By season's end, it could be a pretty good group of blockers.

The only need (OL) for the 2015 season could be center. Start solving the issues now.

I would be 100% behind that move. Lets be real, this year is going to be a development year, a learning year, and we will win some ballgames along the way. Building big picture needs to take place at some point, and Year 1 of a whole new offensive system is the year to do that. Get them quality playing time in the fire. We wont be facing a talent on the D-line like we just faced again this year so lets see what they can do, and develop them starting now.

We've all been trying to get rid of TurnsTyler for years. Whatever. All I can hope for is he quits.

The entire right-side of the Line is absolute garbage and it's something that should have been handled through FA. We can't wait to draft both positions and say "Ok, these guys will be along in a year or two."

What's worse is it has been garbage for the last two prior seasons, only 2012 RGIII was able to make them look passable.

Nick

2012 was an anomaly. Griffin and Morris ran the read-option extremely well and really caught the nfl completely off guard. Had the Redskins been running more drop back plays the line would have been exposed that year as well, and was when they tried to do it.

It's been a lot longer than 2 years that the oline has been a huge problem.

Our ST blocking needs to be fixed. Our O-line is average in pass-blocking compared to the rest of the league. I don't know why this fallacy keeps being brought up.

Why do we feel the need to use our O-line as an excuse? The O-line isn't the problem, and it shouldn't prevent us from winning games.

We had 3 sacks this weekend.

15 teams out of 28 teams suffered 3 or more sacks this weekend. Some had 5 sacks. That puts us right at average. Even a little better than average.

The difference? Philly gets sacked 5 times, and still scores 34 points, and wins.

So how is it that Philly can get sacked 5 times, and score 34 points?

And why isn't everyone in Philly complaining about their terrible offensive line?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.