• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Blognostications: 2014 - Week 1 Redskins @ Texans

• Thread starter Blognostications
  • Start date

Blognostications

Blognosticator - Jugband McGillicuddy

TEXANS BLOGNOSTICATION, 2014:

Owners, staff, Redskin fans, friends... Hello and welcome to the 2014...

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed...good read.

Thank you for calling this a win. I can't understand going in to week 1 and NOT giving us a shot to win.

It certainly is, LSF.

Kinda bugs me that I made a glaring error though (among those that I may well have made in predictions/evaluations.) I said "IN just five years" BGO has become the corner bar. I intended to say "FOR five years" it has been.

Oh well, even the champ gets caught off guard by a left hook sometimes. ;)

Great job champ! And I agree, except we'll win by 7 or more :)

Well done. I expect the Defense will have to tow the line for a bit. A frightening thought given last years play. But I think they will pull it out as well in a close one.

Thanks, Jug. Ya done good.

For me, the keys to this one are:

1) How we handle Houston's pass rush. If the combination of game plan, OL and Robert's decision-making can keep Watt, Clowney & Co. from taking over the game, I can see us controlling the tempo and doing enough scoring to win.

2) If come the 4th quarter, when a defensive stop is absolutely, positively necessary, Jim Hazlett's early 2014 defense doesn't prove to be ... well, just another Jim Hazlett defense.

Strange to go into a season with absolutely zero feel for what kind of team this year's Redskins will turn out to be.

Nice write-up!

I agree, I'm not shaking in my boots about the Texans Offense. Yeah, Andre Johnson and the other young WR can get over the top if you are not careful and Foster is healthy, but as Ryan Clark said he "doesn't care which quarterback starts for the Texans -- Ryan Fitzpatrick or Ryan Mallett. Or, for that matter, 'Ryan Gosling.'"

Their pass rush looks formidable. So, I agree, they have to gameplan around that. I think Reed and the backs can have a big day underneath, especially if Roid-head Cushing is forced to cover them. Only other concern on D is Swearinger - he appears to be a head-hunter. So, hopefully he doesn't get any helmet-to-helmet knocks on our guys.

Om said it.....we really have NO idea what to expect from the Skins at this point. It'll be fun to watch (or not).

Oh, and I don't know about the rest of you...but today I suddenly realized that I'm kinda done with all the preseason hoopla. I'm a bit weary of reading about how RGIII isn't worried and how so and so is still hobbled. All I want now is for this thing to get started.

Let's do this already!!

Grrrrrr.......

One possible winning strategy against this vaunted pass rush of the Texans. Don't pass :) Pound the rock and pound the rock and when they are dog tired, then we go airborne. But we may not have as much to fear regarding the pass rush as all they hype would indicate. Here are some stats from the fearsome Texans D last year:

Team wins: 2
Passing Yds Given Up: 3123
Passing TDs Given Up: 29
INTs made: 7
Forced fumbles: 10 (JJ Watt had 4 of them)
Defensive Points Allowed Rank: 24/32
Team Sacks: 31 (JJ Watt had 10.5 of them)

By comparison, the Skins defense had:

Team wins: 3
Passing Yds Given Up: 3896
Passing TDs Given Up: 29
INTs made: 16
Forced fumbles: 12 (Ryan Kerrigan had 4 of them)
Defensive Points Allowed Rank: 30/32
Team Sacks: 36 (Rak had 10 and Kerrigan 8.5)

Looking at that, the Texan's D was even worse than ours in several areas (particularly in forcing turnovers). They were stingier in passing yards allowed. But the sack totals are noteworthy. It might be the Texans QB who needs to be worried :)

Last edited:
Great job Jugs!

This is a great watering hole,even though the jukebox keeps taking my dimes....but the beer is cold and the football burgundy and gold!

Alright alright alright.....

hmmmmm....

1) agree w/Boone on run game....if this plys as a conventional game in the sense of conservative strategies.

2) no idea on how the passing game will be deployed. if RGIII can speed up the decision process by a second in the short game...then I think the timing aspect of the passing game has a chance. the whole game is now calibrated to favor passing - if we can't get that part of the game going, great Houston pass rush or not, we have cause for worry.

3) we haven't really seen a scheme....on offense or defense. we know the preseason O was vanilla. apparently...so was the defense. while the O wasn't inspiring in preseason it wasn't really put to the test either. it's possible, God/TurnStyler/RGIII recognition willing, that the offense will unleash unexpected precision/execution leading to high scores. but...who the H knows at this point?

4) we should have a huge advantage at the QB position.

5) front seven looks good enough to me to bottle up the TX running game. Houston is going to turn to the pass early in the game IMO if the 7 do control he line. which brings us to another unknown - our secondary. who the H knows at this point?

the secondary and o-line remain the outstanding fault lines from last season. we'll learn...certainly by the end of the Philly game...just how much.

coaching makes the difference in this game. Skins by 14 ..... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.