• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sake & Other Asian Beverages

Below is an image of what unfiltered sake looks like. Quite simply, it looks like milk.

Don't let the appearance put you off. I love unfiltered sakes, but have found that the appearance, especially to first-timers and women, can freak some people out.

These are also best served cold.

Doesn't freak me out at all. I drink rice milk, and it looks just like rice milk - so it looks as it should, since Sake is made from rice, eh ?
Thanks for all the options

The good news is I tried my first sake. The bad news is you guys will be disappointed because I broke all your rules.
First, I got the cheap kind. I paid just $2.49 for this bottle. And it wasn't the milky kind, but the clear one. And it didn't come in a blue bottle, but a green one. And it wasn't 98.4 degrees Fahrenheit, like BB said it should be. And it was the only one made in America, not in Japan. So it seems strange, they give it a Japanese name, even though it's made in CA, and not in Japan like all the others.

But I like the taste. And it had a nice kick to it. And even though it was the cheap stuff, at least it gave me an introduction to it. And I can splurge a little more next time.

Beautiful! I've never even heard of a sake that affordable.

Was it cold?

That's a great thing. If you can find an affordable sake that you like, just go with it.

I have no idea how the restaurant makes money off of that.

The store sold it room temperature on the shelf. But the bottle said to serve chilled.
So I poured into a cup of ice.

Ah, okay. So you bought it from a store? That makes more sense than a restaurant.

I tried sake recently and just don't see the draw. Give me a good beer or bourbon anytime.

I just sat your post.

Was it hot sake or cold sake? I'm going to guess that it was hot sake.

Are Sushi bars basically the only bars that offer Sake ?
Or are they somewhat common in typical bars ?
Sounds like a dumb question, but of course I've never even asked about Sake in a "standard" bar.

Last edited:
Are Sushi bars basically the only bars that offer Sake ?
Or are they somewhat common in typical bars ?
Sounds like a dumb question, but of course I've never even asked about Sake in a "standard" bar.

You're probably going to have a tough time finding it at sports bars, or anything like that.

You will find it at sushi bars, or Japanese steakhouses. There are also sake bars now, depending on where you live.

Actually it was cold. Hate to think what hot sake would taste like.

Give me my pumpkin beer.

if you aren't already drinking beers and its cheap AND hot...rubbing alcohol. No joke...it is nothing short of a burning "hot" rubbing alcohol taste.

Give me my pumpkin beer.

I prefer Pumpkin Hard Cider. It tastes more like actual pumpkin.
But I don't think you can find that flavor of hard cider in bars.
Usually only in certain stores. And just Hard Apple Cider in bars
I hate the fact that pumpkin flavors in general, are not available year-round.
They need to, because pumpkin rocks, and I'm pretty sure you can grow it year-round

if you aren't already drinking beers and its cheap AND hot...rubbing alcohol. No joke...it is nothing short of a burning "hot" rubbing alcohol taste.

Not sure what you mean with the beer reference. Are you saying that drinking beer will offset the taste of bad sake ?

yep..that is exactly what I'm saying. You ever do a shot of something you normally hate before you've gotten buzzed? It's a lot worse than when you do it after you've been drinking a while.

Fear... heard last year the pumpkin beer came in waves, but this year it came in all at once. So if want some better stock up before it is gone.

One time last year a nearby Total Wine was limiting you to 6 bottles at time. I will have to get the name of the pumpkin beer my stepson brought over Sunday night. Very good. Tasted a lot like a liquid pumpkin pie.

sorry...didn't mean to divert the thread

I like a good pumpkin beer but a lot of people confuse paprika and spice for real pumpkin. That's pumpkin pie and I like it , too, but it's not a real pumpkin beer.

We just got CRUSHED with pumpkin beers over the last 2 weeks... same with Octoberfest variations.

I don't get the fascination with pumpkin ales. I have even made my own with roasted pumpkins. It was 'okay' like every other pumpkin beer I've tasted. Different strikes for different folks I guess.

pretty much its like a fascination with anything...you've had most styles or ways prepared so you want to try something different. Just like I dont get how people can eat refried beans or olives, there are people who have the acquired taste for it and actually appreciate them.

most pumpkin beers taste either bland or too much like a pumpkin pie for my taste. but there are a few I can enjoy 6-8 ounces of.

Fear... heard last year the pumpkin beer came in waves, but this year it came in all at once. So if want some better stock up before it is gone.

One time last year a nearby Total Wine was limiting you to 6 bottles at time. I will have to get the name of the pumpkin beer my stepson brought over Sunday night. Very good. Tasted a lot like a liquid pumpkin pie.

sorry...didn't mean to divert the thread

What are these brands of beers that taste like pumpkin pie ?
Even if they go overboard with it, it would still be a refreshing change from all the so-called "pumpkin beers" that don't taste anything remotely like pumpkin, or even pumpkin spices, and actually taste almost just like regular beer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.