• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sake & Other Asian Beverages

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
I want to try Sake for the very first time.
What should I expect ?
What can you compare it to ?
Is there any other liquor or alcohol, that it most closely resembles, both in taste and the effect ?
Anything else I should know ?
You guys are the experts.

sake is getting to be like beer...there are 1000000 different flavors and styles out there.

the cheap hot shit will probably tastes like pure alcohol..but the unfiltered milky stuff will be cold and pretty good.

I guess I've only had the cheap shit, tastes like rocket fuel to me.

There are very few things in life that I know an absolute ton about. Sake happens to be one of them.

Mike hit the nail on the head in his response. There is only one reason to serve a sake hot. That's to disguise the flavor. The cheapest, most disgusting sakes are absolutely undrinkable unless they are served as hot as possible. Those will be your house sakes at any Japanese steakhouse.

Even hot sake has it's place though. Especially if it's 20 degrees below zero outside and you want to warm up. Or at a large table of people doing sake bombs.

If you find yourself in one of these situations, insist that your bartender tops it off with a little chambord. That makes a hot sake delicious--a combination commonly referred to as a Purple Haze. They taste great, and they will absolutely wreck you without breaking the bank.

There are very few things in life that I know an absolute ton about. Sake happens to be one of them.

Mike hit the nail on the head in his response. There is only one reason to serve a sake hot. That's to disguise the flavor. The cheapest, most disgusting sakes are absolutely undrinkable unless they are served as hot as possible. Those will be your house sakes at any Japanese steakhouse.

Even hot sake has it's place though. Especially if it's 20 degrees below zero outside and you want to warm up. Or at a large table of people doing sake bombs.

If you find yourself in one of these situations, insist that your bartender tops it off with a little chambord. That makes a hot sake delicious--a combination commonly referred to as a Purple Haze. They taste great, and they will absolutely wreck you without breaking the bank.

So, if they are disguising the flavor by heating it, are they also disguising bad quality, or is the flavor the only inherent thing wrong with hot sake ?
So, my question and concern is whether the actual quality is any different.

its like when your beer is super cold...it doesn't need to be and the cold will just make it taste easier.

the quality is definitely different. Hot sake is like drinking "BEER" while drinking cold filtered or other varieties is like drinking "double dry hopped, barrel aged, etc"

Fear, why the sudden interest in sake? Is it because...

A. You need a break from beer or liquor?

B. You are quickly addicted to sushi, and want to try it?

C. You want to "have relations" with a hot waitress at the sushi place, and want to know what you are doing?

sushi and sake bombs go together like cocaine and waffles!

and remember this in case you like the hot waitress: Most sushi places are owned by Korean people, not Japanese

Oh for ****'s SAKE!

Ummmmmmmm.......

e260781b283c7b7db2c885aeb5bba2cb.gif

Fear, why the sudden interest in sake? Is it because...

A. You need a break from beer or liquor?

B. You are quickly addicted to sushi, and want to try it?

C. You want to "have relations" with a hot waitress at the sushi place, and want to know what you are doing?

I am primarily gluten-free, and being that Sake is made from gluten-free rice, and the fact that it's hard to find other adult beverages that are gluten-free, that I'm not tired of

and remember this in case you like the hot waitress: Most sushi places are owned by Korean people, not Japanese

Is this another shot at my cat ?

I tried sake recently and just don't see the draw. Give me a good beer or bourbon anytime.

Fear, I'm going to recommend a few of the best sakes I've ever had. And I'll keep them affordable. As a general rule, a bottle of hot house sake will cost anywhere between $5 and $8.

The sake below is called Karatamba. I've had literally hundreds of sakes, and I always keep coming back to this one. This bottle will cost you between $12 and $16 at most grocery stores or restaurants. This is definitely a pro's sake.

It has flavor. You'll find that many of the most expensive sakes ($25-$200) taste almost like water. Some people are willing to pay up for a sake that tastes like nothing. I'm not a big fan of that.

This isn't overpowering, and isn't like a full-bodied beer. But it's a great compromise between those types of sake, and the water-like sakes.

If you can ever find this, buy it. You may never find another that you like more.

image.jpg

Below is an image of what unfiltered sake looks like. Quite simply, it looks like milk.

Don't let the appearance put you off. I love unfiltered sakes, but have found that the appearance, especially to first-timers and women, can freak some people out.

These are also best served cold.

image.jpg

The sake below is one of the best unfiltered sakes on earth, and much better than similar sakes that will cost $25 to $30 per bottle.

This sake will only cost you between $8 to $12 per bottle.

It's called Shirakawago. You're unlikely to remember the name, so just remember the blue bottle. It's fantastic. Good Japanese restaurants will have this in stock.

I've also found a review of the sake, from another sake newbie. You can read that here.

Drink sake night - but I don't know sake! - Dr Vino's wine blog Dr Vino's wine blog

image.jpg

Below is a picture of the best selling sake in the US. It is also sold in tall green bottles, but I'd recommend any of the bottles pictured. All of the bottles pictured are the same sake, just in different packaging.

This sake is a little sweeter, premium sake. Women especially seem to love it. It's great for a first date, or to newbies. This is a good bang for the buck, and is comparable to $18 sakes. I'd liken this sake to something like a strawberry daiquiri. Not in taste, but in manliness.

This can be found in nearly every Japanese restaurant, and it retails for $8 to $12.

It's called Sho Chiku Bai. Again, don't worry about remembering the name. Just remember the clear bottle with the colored background.

It is also best served cold.

image.jpg

Start with those Fear. If you try them and become absolutely hooked, I'll recommend some of the more expensive sakes for you.

But in truth, you don't need the more expensive sakes, and very few taste better than the ones I have mentioned.

I hope this helps.

Kanpai!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.