• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sake & Other Asian Beverages

After much, much Sake drinking (not all at the same time), I have come to this conclusion :
Sake, in my personal opinion and personal taste, is not a stand-alone drink like beer or wine.
But it's more like liquor. In that it tastes better when combined with a mixer, like juice, carbonated soda, etc.

It's one of those 'acquired taste' items like bourbon imho. I have never really 'acquired the taste'...

Re: Sake

It's baffling that bars don't carry the amazing and versatile Sake, and that you apparently can only get it in Sushi restaurants/bars.
It's such a wrongful stereotype and stigma, that it only goes with Sushi.

I recently stumbled upon a recipe for 'Makgeolli' (pronounced 'mock-a-lee'), a Korean rice wine. It takes just 9-10 days to make, looks like milk when completed, and can have an alcohol content from 6% to 15% depending on whether or to what extent you dilute it. Very simple to make.

In a nutshell, you are repeatedly rinsing and then steaming Korean or Japanese sushi rice, combining it in a fermenter with 'Nuruk' (a fermented wheat product you can buy at a Korean or Asian grocery), and add some water and a wine yeast. You can use plain old bread yeast but I felt like the product would be better with an actual yeast intended for wine. This concoction gets stirred up and is allowed to ferment in a dark place for 9-10 days. The product is then filtered and it can be used as is or watered down. I have never had Makgeolli and am looking forward to seeing what this stuff tastes like.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 95

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.