• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sake & Other Asian Beverages

After much, much Sake drinking (not all at the same time), I have come to this conclusion :
Sake, in my personal opinion and personal taste, is not a stand-alone drink like beer or wine.
But it's more like liquor. In that it tastes better when combined with a mixer, like juice, carbonated soda, etc.

It's one of those 'acquired taste' items like bourbon imho. I have never really 'acquired the taste'...

Re: Sake

It's baffling that bars don't carry the amazing and versatile Sake, and that you apparently can only get it in Sushi restaurants/bars.
It's such a wrongful stereotype and stigma, that it only goes with Sushi.

I recently stumbled upon a recipe for 'Makgeolli' (pronounced 'mock-a-lee'), a Korean rice wine. It takes just 9-10 days to make, looks like milk when completed, and can have an alcohol content from 6% to 15% depending on whether or to what extent you dilute it. Very simple to make.

In a nutshell, you are repeatedly rinsing and then steaming Korean or Japanese sushi rice, combining it in a fermenter with 'Nuruk' (a fermented wheat product you can buy at a Korean or Asian grocery), and add some water and a wine yeast. You can use plain old bread yeast but I felt like the product would be better with an actual yeast intended for wine. This concoction gets stirred up and is allowed to ferment in a dark place for 9-10 days. The product is then filtered and it can be used as is or watered down. I have never had Makgeolli and am looking forward to seeing what this stuff tastes like.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 89

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.