• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Should BGO Stop Promoting Washington Post Redskins Content?

Should BGO Stop Promoting Washington Post Redskins Content?

• Yes

Votes: 37 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
As one of many Redskins-related fan sites, we promote content, articles, and blogs produced by Washington Post staff on a daily basis. Like all Redskins sites, we drive traffic to Post content nearly continuously. Despite the Washington Post's generally derisive and negative coverage of the team we love, and the often instigatory nature of their content, we have always promoted the Post's content in our news forums, as well as encouraged our membership to post content of interest on BGObsession.

Today, the Washington Post announced that their editorial staff will no longer use the 'offensive' term in their content.

We would like to know your feelings on this decision, and specifically, whether it's time for BGO to stop promoting and driving traffic to a newspaper that denigrates and seeks to destroy the traditions of the team we love? Should we remove Washington Post feeds from our news forums?

Yes. They should be marginalized and ignored. I plan to avoid giving them any more clicks, and nothing they post is unable to be found elsewhere.

I cannot understand a business model, especially a business so dangerously close to becoming non-existent, that would make a decision to alienate a very large portion of their base.

I will never click the WP for anything again.

Be done with them.

Just to be clear, we would not forbid or block members from posting links to their content, nor give anyone a hard time if they chose to - that's a personal decision. We're just talking about the active, continuous, site-sponsored promotion of their articles in our news forum and elsewhere on the site.

I cannot understand a business model, especially a business so dangerously close to becoming non-existent, that would make a decision to alienate a very large portion of their base.

I will never click the WP for anything again.

Be done with them.

Amen Brian. It makes zero sense. I understand they hate Daniel Snyder, and perhaps (at least in some regards) with due cause. But to treat the most popular team in your subscription area with scorn and derision, it's just insanity. And it's not fulfilling your mission to provide your customers with what they want.

My gut tells me the ability for them to be able to report anything we would even WANT to talk about is now out the window. They're going to be on the outside looking in as far as team information goes. I have a hard time believing The Washington Redskins decision makers will still grant them the ability to be involved in anything other then the basic open media stuff.

I'm not a big believer in boycotts or causes, but if Redskins fans don't just absolutely boycott all things Post-related, we have no balls. If you want to take the adversarial position the Post has taken for 15+ years, and now amp it up to where you are actively trying to hurt the team, you shouldn't be surprised when your customers say 'enough!'.

Unite the Clans!

WP has, historically, demonstrated a tendency to lean towards a negative bias when covering the Redskins. They are not a friend to me. I banned them from my information consumption long ago.

What a bunch of gutless butt plugs.

They throw out this "feeler", saying the "editorial board" will stop using Redskins, but the "news dept" will continue to use Redskins, cause they're a separate entity. Just to gauge response, and try to provide cover for their, er um, reporters.

They wouldn't know principal if it crawled up their asses and built a teepee.

Without the Redskins, the Post might have already folded. They're not THAT stupid.

Are they?

Why does the Washington Redskins media suck so hard? Including the radio announcers. Seriously, why can't they even get a good announcer like this guy?

Listen to the energy in this guy's voice. He's the voice of the Bucs and Seminoles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqkpzsjxlA

The Post's coverage down the stretch in 2012 was very positive towards the team...because the Skins won down the stretch and got into the playoffs. It was pretty harsh on Shanny about the decision not to remove RGIII in the playoff game. That was pretty much the consensus around here, too.

The Post's coverage is positive when the Skins win and negative when they lose.

I don't think the editorial board's view on the name issue will change any of that.

That's not true. Of course the coverage is more 'positive' when the team wins - that's because THE TEAM WON :) It's pretty hard, even for the highly motivated Washington Post sports department, to spin a 7 game winning streak negatively. We're not talking about the on-the-field coverage (although, given the opportunity, they'll try and spin that negatively too when any opportunity presents itself), we're talking about their nearly constant barrage of criticism, character defamation, and general opposition to anything the team or Dan Syder does. It's incessant and it's obvious.

But you're right - nothing related to their coverage will change. What might change is their bottom line. And they will have earned every dime lost.

Why does the Washington Redskins media suck so hard? Including the radio announcers. Seriously, why can't they even get a good announcer like this guy?

Listen to the energy in this guy's voice. He's the voice of the Bucs and Seminoles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqkpzsjxlA

Talent and skills never seem to be the deciding factor in determining individuals for jobs in journalism, media, entertainment, and things like that.

How do you know why Herzog got fired? You think Snyder didn't know he was a beloved figure to Redskins fans? Maybe the guy was an alcoholic and was showing up to work lit up. Or maybe he got ousted with the help of someone who wanted his job a lot more than he wanted to hang on to it - it happens in every company in America. Is it fair? Maybe not, but it happens. I don't know why Herzog got fired and neither do you. I've never been inclined to defend Dan Snyder, but I do have a problem with just throwing something like that out there as if it's fact, because you believe it's fact. If you have evidence to that effect, let's hear it.

Talent and skills never seem to be the deciding factor in determining individuals for jobs in journalism, media, entertainment, and things like that.

I often find myself driving around on a Sunday, getting errands done before we play a 4 pm game. And this guy's voice comes on for a completely meaningless Bucs game.

I hate the Bucs. But I immediately turn him on and am energized to listen to the game. He gets people fired up. Definitely one of the best today.

No more feeds, I agree with the general consensus. Someone else posted Al Michael's response to Cowherd this week on this issue, and I thought his response was perfect. His job is to report, not commentate.

No - I've already acknowledged that a lot of Snyder's approach is indefensible. What does that have to do with the Redskins name and the approach of what's supposed to be an objective news organization?
Vladimir Putin and Fidel Castro are despicable humans. That doesn't give news organizations the right to twist the facts and engage in journalistic warfare on the pages of their publication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.