• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Zach Boyer: Bashaud Breeland Busted With Pot

I'll be interested to see how Gruden reacts to this - that's the most interesting thing for me.

I'm not sure how the league looks at a player on suspension in regards to the number of players we can keep. Does he count while on suspension?

Now we likely have to keep Porter or Crawford.

If this brain surgeon just cost Redd or one of our WRs a job, I'm going to be pissed.

Doesn't count against the 53 while suspended. But if you fill up the roster you gotta make a choice after the suspension as to whether to cut a guy to make room or let the suspended guy go when the suspension is over. Typically teams just don't fill it on a short term suspension but not your typical situation considering the time of year and if they think they are OK at CB without a rookie who makes bad off the field decisions.

Not that it really will make a big dollars difference, a players salary doesn't count against the cap while suspended. Basically his game checks; suspended 4 weeks; a quarter of his salary comes off the cap. Just if you are curious.

I suppose one option might be to cut him after the suspension and sign him to the PS if he clears waivers. Don't know if he would clear but probably would have a pretty good idea by then if looked like a possibility.

I'm not sure how the league looks at a player on suspension in regards to the number of players we can keep. Does he count while on suspension?

Doesn't count against the 53 while suspended.

Dudes - this has happened to this team so many countless times, that we should all have the suspension/roster policy memorized by now !

What a jackass, you just get drafted in the NFL and you are worried about weed? In the military if you are caught your ass is kicked out and you get a dishonorable discharge. In almost any job in America if you pop on a piss test you are fired, but athletes, slap on the wrist like anything else they do. Start kicking people out of the league and you will not have to worry about it. Same thing for Ray Rice, his ass should be gone too. If I beat my wife and get arrested for it, you think I will have a job doing what I do now? These guys are privileged punks who have no clue how good they have it....

end rant.....

I'll be interested to see how Gruden reacts to this - that's the most interesting thing for me.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I would like to think that a coach should be able to detect "outward signs" exhibited by one of his players who is smoking pot. You're dealing with a player every day for hours at a time - not just on the field, but in meetings, etc. So wouldn't you think that with all that exposure to the guy, added with the typical, obvious signs that a weed smoker conveys, that it would at least catch a coach's suspicion, what the player might be up to, and Coach could look into it, talk to the guy, etc, before it reaches the point where he's arrested and suspended, etc ?

And not only detect those signs, but be extra alert and on the lookout for that potential to happen, for the reasons stated in the last sentence.

And to take it a step further, don't teams have their own independent drug-testing, separate from the league, so they can catch a problem before the league does, and apply their own team disciplinary action, which may not be as severe as the league's suspension ?

Last edited:
On the other hand - I'm pretty sure a first year head coach and his staff have a lot of things they are focused on other than a 4th round rookie and whether or not he's got red eyes or not. And you're assuming this is a habitual, chronic (pun intended) thing. Maybe he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I had a buddy in the Marine Corps who was straight as an arrow, but we road-tripped to a college one weekend, he smoked pot with a chick he was trying to get to bed down with him, and got busted on the next piss test.

I'm talking about whether Gruden takes a hard line here or if he tries to be a 'player's coach' and be soft and supportive. I bet his response is going to be 'the youngster obviously screwed up. He needs to get his head out of where it is and back on his shoulders if he wants to be part of this team'. That's what I'm looking for.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but I would like to think that a coach should be able to detect "outward signs" exhibited by one of his players who is smoking pot. You're dealing with a player every day for hours at a time - not just on the field, but in meetings, etc. So wouldn't you think that with all that exposure to the guy, added with the typical, obvious signs that a weed smoker conveys, that it would at least catch a coach's suspicion, what the player might be up to, and Coach could look into it, talk to the guy, etc, before it reaches the point where he's arrested and suspended, etc ?

And not only detect those signs, but be extra alert and on the lookout for that potential to happen, for the reasons stated in the last sentence.
Tell me you're kidding.

And to take it a step further, don't teams have their own independent drug-testing, separate from the league, so they can catch a problem before the league does, and apply their own team disciplinary action, which may not be as severe as the league's suspension ?
I seriously doubt the CBA would allow such a thing.

This moron is Sleepy Davis, Part Deux. Another "play in his own excrement", stupid asshole.

Cut him now. Move on.

Unless he was in a borrowed car, with no knowledge of it's content. Or some other understandable, defensible circumstance.

I feel that thinking this is an automatic 4 game suspension is premature. That is the max penalty for 1st offense of breaking a law regarding substance abuse. No drug test, no proof he was under the influence and I believe that they have no way to test him now. I don't even know if it puts him in the program or not.

"According to the NFL policy on substances of abuse, players convicted of a violation of the law related to substances of abuse other than alcohol are subject to discipline from commissioner Roger Goodell.

Players “will normally be subject to discipline up to and including suspension without pay for four regular and/or post-season games for a first violation of the law,” though a player’s previous disciplinary record will be considered with regards to such punishments.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ed-marijuana-possession-vcu-po/#ixzz3AN0cLkwd "

This may be a 1 or 2 game suspension or nothing at all. Its all up to Goodell and he's coming off a real pie-in-the-face moment with Ray Rice 2 game suspension. Suspending this kid for 4 games right now while the media still has its boxers in a bunch over Rice is not likely IMHO.

Regardless of the outcome, the veterans LIKE Trent Williams need to grab these pups by the scruff of their necks and get them headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Let's hope this is our "one big thing" this off season. Very little distractions this year...I like it.

Yeah we got the tanard jackson thing out of the way early and quickly too!

He won't get suspended. He is in part one of the NFL program now and Breeland will make the team or be cut on his football performance. We'll see if this is a one time thing.

Not every situation is the same. This only pertains to Breeland. Similar circumstances for any player is a non-suspension. Something more serious - I'm not sure.

Well like I said before, any suspension is a non-issue. Because anyone who was expecting someone as raw as Breeland to be a major contributor in his first few pro games, has been smokin even more potent stuff than Breeland has

Bowe also has a history. This kid is a rook. Who freaking knows what mood the commish will be in the day it comes around.

I find it especially stupid that the NFL is still enforcing this rule when it is legal in two states. I get why the players have to all follow the same rule, but this is one the NFL IMO should just look the other way and stop enforcing when the movement nationwide is clearly one towards legalization. These pot suspensions are not only stupid for the players to acquire, but they're stupid on merit alone for the league to hand out. Our country needs to grow up about this "substance".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.