• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com: Bruce Allen: RG3 Should Not Have Started 2013 Opener

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Appearing on WXGI Richmond on Monday, Allen said it was "almost a little disrespectful to the game of football" for Griffin to open the season without being properly prepared.

"It's impossible to ask a player to perform well during the regular season if you haven't practiced," Allen explained. "Last year at this time, he's still rehabbing his knee, he's not allowed to practice, he's not allowed to work in team drills at all because he's still rehabilitating himself. We put him, really, on the spot by trying to do that."

That's true. But we are unaware of any statements from Allen expressing public opposition to Shanahan's plans last summer. In fact, the Washington Post unearthed this quote from Allen in mid-August:

Bruce Allen: RGIII should not have started 2013 opener - NFL.com

That's true. But we are unaware of any statements from Allen expressing public opposition to Shanahan's plans last summer. In fact, the Washington Post unearthed this quote from Allen in mid-August:

"He is ahead of schedule. We've had no setbacks (knocks on wood) and the plan is for him to play in Week 1"

He did not express public opposition at the time, obviously because he wasn't going to create friction between himself, the GM, and the head coach.
It's a lot easier to express your honest opinion now that the coach is gone.
And I don't think his statements in 2013 and 2014 contradict.
His 2013 statement says RG3's rehab was going well. And that may have been true. What he's saying now, is that regardless of how his rehab was going, it wasn't fair to play him with no practice. So being physically recovered was irrelevant.
As for his other statement about "the plan is for him to start in Week 1". That does not mean he agrees with it. He's just stating a fact which Shanahan decided. What's he supposed to say in public ? "Shanahan is starting RG3 week 1, but he's lost his mind" ??
So I have no problems with anything Allen said then, or now.

Allen needs to shut up too. He was just as key a player as any other leader at Redskins Park in whatever decisions were made.

Allen needs to shut up too. He was just as key a player as any other leader at Redskins Park in whatever decisions were made.
Yeah. It'd be one thing for Gruden to do it, but if we're supposed to believe Allen had no say whatsoever... whatever.

I'm glad someone else agrees. Personally, I wanted Shanahan fired the day after the Seattle game, but they really need to move on.

Bruce has always struck me as a politician. He looks exactly like a politician.

Every time you think things have calmed down and we finally have peace...somebody,whether it be a player,coach or front office personnel, cranks up the calliope and welcomes the damn circus back to town.

Why can't this team ever have a hum drum,routine offseason?

I remember the days when the most exciting thing that happened during an offseason was Charlie Brown getting cut.

Need to get back to that......

I'm going to mention this here, because I don't want to litter the front page of this great site with negative threads. But I have to briefly rant about this asshat.

It seems Mike Shanahan didn?t have fun in Washington | ProFootballTalk

For a guy who went 24-40 in his last job, including a 3-13 dumpster fire which included alienating the franchise quarterback, Mike Shanahan is kind of picky.

The former Redskins coach told Jarrett Bell of USA Today that he wanted to coach again, but only if things are just right.

“If I get back into coaching, it would have to be a situation where there was a realistic opportunity to win a Super Bowl,” Shanahan said.

He also said he’d like a team with salary cap room, which is something he didn’t enjoy in Washington thanks to their penalty for circumventing the salary cap in 2010.

“It would have to be with the right ownership,” Shanahan added, a not-at-all-veiled shot at his old boss Dan Snyder.

Shanahan will bless the league, and he's willing to coach again but only for a SB contender? That's so generous of you Mike.

And only for a team with salary cap room? Did that d-bag really just say that? This is the d-bag who was penalized three times in his career for salary cap violations.

And only for the right owner? You mean like an owner who will give him total control over football operations? Like an owner who will let him bring in McNabb and John Beck? Like an owner who will let him hire his own son and pathetic coaching staff? Like an owner who is still paying him $7 million this year?

Hey Shanahan. F you, you narcissistic, senile douchebag! Seriously, you can F off.

Every time you think things have calmed down and we finally have peace...somebody,whether it be a player,coach or front office personnel, cranks up the calliope and welcomes the damn circus back to town.

Why can't this team ever have a hum drum,routine offseason?

I remember the days when the most exciting thing that happened during an offseason was Charlie Brown getting cut.

Need to get back to that......

It certainly does seem at times that the entire organization suffers from diarrhea of the mouth.

(And by "at times" I'm being generous.)

Personally, I don't care about any of the previous drama - I have almost no tolerance for drama in my own life, at work, or otherwise. Drama has zero value, it undermines productive change, and honestly it brings out the worst in humans.

I get the feeling Jay Gruden is of the same school of thought - and that is a very good thing.

Couple of things:

One, he's correct. RG3 had no business starting week one. Not exactly a solomonic pronouncement however--I suspect few sentient beings would disagree with his conclusion.

Meaning ... we're left with why he decided to go there. Bruce may not be Norman Einstein, but he's not Vinny Cerrato either. He's wise enough in the Ways of Our Times to know that comment would get significant play. I have zero doubt he had a specific motive. The name-change thing is certainly a possibility, but having that as a possible reason doesn't move the needle with me.

Not going to burn a lot of my few remaining brain cells cogitating on it, but I do have to admit I find the question a little intriguing.

my only issue is this: if you have a problem with your brother, you tell your brother. You don't tell your neighbor and wait for it to get back to your brother. This is a family like it or not. We are all supposed to have each others backs here so when someone "gossips" about you (because that is what this really is) it makes you question their motives and if they are always going to gossip.

I'd like to move past it...but I really wish there was nothing to move past. People need to stop talking outside of the locker room doors if its about Redskins related stuff.

I dunno. It sounded to me like he was taking responsibility, as an organization, for mishandling Griff. Granted, it was awkwardly worded. And he was trying, I believe, to direct responsibility away from Griff. It won't end up being a non-story in this market anyway. But I believe it is; a non-story.

I can see that. You say "elephant" and before you know it, it's translated to "purple monkey dinosaur"

Interpretation and misreading things...I know that far too well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.