• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign TE Mike Caussin

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
July 22, 2014

REDSKINS SIGN TE MIKE CAUSSIN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent tight end Mike Caussin. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. In addition, the team waived long snapper Kyle Nelson.

Caussin (6-5, 243) was originally signed as a college free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars on April 26, 2010. He spent a portion of the 2010 season on the Jaguars’ practice squad before signing to the Buffalo Bills’ active roster on Dec. 2, 2010. He was a member of the Bills’ organization across the 2010-13 seasons before being released on July 16, 2014.

Caussin has appeared in six career NFL games with two starts, all during the 2011 season. He has recorded five NFL receptions for 41 yards.

Caussin played collegiately at James Madison from 2006-09, appearing in 44 career games and recording 66 career receptions for 1,009 yards with 14 receiving touchdowns. As a senior in 2009, he earned Offensive MVP honors for the Dukes and the John Kraus Award for spirit and determination after posting career highs in receptions (25) and receiving yards (438).

Caussin, 27, attended West Springfield (Va.) H.S. He was born on Feb. 26, 1987.

Training Camp fodder or competition for Special Teams?

This guy won't be Caussin too much of a fuss, I don't think... nyuck, nyuck, nyuck...

Nick

Weirdly enough, this guy was a first round pick actually. What happened? He never made any squad he tried for. Granted, it was Jacksonville...sooo buyer beware. But still, there has to be a reason to go tight end when other needs are pressing. Either someone sees a spark or someone already on the squad needs a challenge. Other ideas?

It makes sense to me.
Reed's health is a question mark.
Paulsen is a solid back-up, at best.
Paul never made the full transition to TE, and isn't really suited to do so.
Bolser is looking like a disappointment, and a possible bust.
So can we use a TE ? Sure

His name was Logan Paulsen
His name was Logan Paulsen
His name was Logan Paulsen!!

My opinion - a 7th round draft pick is never a 'bust'. Guys taken there are almost always a longshot to make the team or practice squad projects unless you flat out get lucky.

My opinion - a 7th round draft pick is never a 'bust'.

Not to nitpick, Boone, but it is possible for a 7th rounder to become a bust.
One of the first examples was Bob Hayes.
Taken in the 7th round - and here's his bust

hayes_swf_replace.jpg

So, there !

Guys taken there are almost always a longshot to make the team

7th rounders like Bill Parcells or Bob Hayes are a longshot to make the team, yet they're makin the Hall of Fame ?
Say What ?

Last edited:
I appreciate the humor! But that's like arguing that we should expect every 6th round RB to be Alfred Morris.

Here's a graph of draft picks that illustrates what I'm saying.

image01.png

The data shows historically that picking towards the end of the 2nd round only gives you a 50% chance of finding a starter. By the end of round 3, it drops to 30% historically. Only about 10% of 7th round picks become starters. If you want to call 90% of 7th round picks 'busts' (as the graph does) that's fine, but it's more about unrealistic expectations than anything else.

By the way, I hated the Bolser pick - because I think at that part of the draft you go after guys with raw physical talent who can be developed, guys coming off major injuries who maybe are way undervalued, or guys from small college programs who maybe aren't as well known but have shown they might be hidden gems. You don't draft slow, plodding, white TEs who haven't excelled in any particular phase of the college game.

I see what you're sayin Boone.
But I can't help but wonder - with your low regard for 7th rounders, I can't imagine what you were grumbling back when the draft was 12 rounds :

"Come on Casserly, Keenan McCardell will never amount to anything !! It's the 12th round, man !! Why even bother picking in the 12th round !! If a 7th round pick is a longshot, then a 12th rounder is a wasted of time. Keenan McCardell...Pffft !!"

I'm not arguing 7th round picks are throwaways - I'm actually supporting the opposite argument. Because historically 7th rounders aren't going to stick in the NFL, you need to take risks on guys who have intangibles or high ceilings. Those picks are by definition high risk, high reward. And we took a safe guy with average to below average talent. That's a wasted pick in my mind.

And on the 12th round comment - back then, the league was full of slow lumbering white guys. NFL starters didn't require the speed, talent, and unbelievable athleticism required in the modern NFL. Attitude and work ethic made an even bigger difference then because there wasn't the dramatic drop off in talent in later rounds (there was still a drop off, but I don't think it was like it is today).

Anyway, not really an important issue. I don't see Bolser making this squad. I just don't like the word bust applied. We didn't find gold in my opinion, but most 7th rounders will end up 'busts' if we want to use that word.

I used the term "bust" loosely. Of course, I don't have high expectations for him.
But what would be a better word to choose, for a 7th rounder who reportedly is disappointing coaches even before Training Camp starts ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.