• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Severe/Interesting/Unique Weather Thread

Too cold around here with the current front hitting us for Joaquin to make it to the Chesapeake. It's already being pushed out to sea.

Last edited:
From my FB a few minutes ago.

Fall Weather Update

It should be noted that this update is Southeast, Mid Atlantic, and Northeast centric.

Many of you know the story - rain, and lots of it. It's going to continue and many areas will have at least five inches by late Sunday and numerous locations will receive more than a foot of rain. A few spots could receive twenty or more inches.

Winds will be a factor too for the next twenty-four to thirty-six hours and this could bring down many trees and will damage/destroy property, vehicles, and roads. Washed out bridges will be common along with blocked roads, limited to no mass transit, and airline cancellations/delays.

Some of the moisture from Joaquin will be drawn into this deep and powerful trough. The hurricane will stay well offshore. Friday night high school football games will be affected - check with the local news for information on postponements or delays. Saturday college football games will be affected as well - travel is not recommended to these events, but at the very least please keep in touch with local forecasts and media for any changes/postponements. The Eagles-Redskins game could be affected, so heed the same advice for the college games. The NASCAR events at Dover have been canceled for today and will likely face the same fate for tomorrow. We will have updates tomorrow for the Sunday race.

Be safe out there and the best advice is to stay home unless you are facing an evacuation order from local authorities. Again, do not drive in flooding conditions.

See you as we go along.

Good reporting BB. The way it looked early in the week we dodged the bullet...again. Some flooding in town, but not even to Sandy levels.

When got home from work the rain had stopped, very windy, and couple glasses of Eagles Rare made grilling supper fun.

Think will have couple bbq sandwiches when get home for lunch. :smile:

Last edited:
View attachment 2901View attachment 2902

this is where my wife works. we are starting the "el nino" portion of our season here. in the past 4 days my area of SD has had 3.5 inches of rain. The beaches (especially Ocean Beach) is under about a foot of water. its pretty intense and insane.

we had a 4.5 quake, a tornado, thunder and lightning, and rain.

Yeah, had an update earlier this week on my FB page that this is only the beginning of several systems. The rains are really needed - you just wish it would be spread out over many years and end the drought.

I'll have continual updates on the FB throughout the El Nino season. Anyone can feel free to take a look or send me a friend request.

Wow, figured this thread would be up top by now with the impending storm looking to hit the DC area big time.

We've had whacky weather here too. We had an F2 and F1 tornado in the past 3 weeks, and even a meteotsunami, which I'm told is quite unusual.

Be safe people....

Yeah, the DC Area, where obviously I live, is supposedly ground zero for the Blizzard of the Century.

To prepare I went out last night and bought a couple weeks worth of snacks. Then I came home and ate them all. Gotta go out again today.

DC area is in trouble. We had a dusting last night, an inch or two of snow, which basically shut the entire city down and schools are closed today. God help us when we get three feet.

Yeah Henry, the Today Show was making fun of you all this morning. :)

They did say that Harrisonburg was supposed to get 24+ inches, and DC was 18-24. I live 40 minutes from HBurg, so... yay. :(

I went to school in upstate New York and I know a thing or two about driving in snow and DC drivers are AWFUL in the snow. I had to get to my parents' house last night which is normally a 10 minute drive and it took me over a half an hour. Not because the weather was that terrible, but because drivers were in full-on panic mode. Going 2 miles an hour down the road, or 40 miles an hour and hitting the people going two miles an hour. Skidding all over the place. It was surreal.

In Rochester, NY three feet of snow is called a Tuesday. Here it's time to call out the National Guard.

Yeah, the DC Area, where obviously I live, is supposedly ground zero for the Blizzard of the Century.

To prepare I went out last night and bought a couple weeks worth of snacks. Then I came home and ate them all. Gotta go out again today.

DC area is in trouble. We had a dusting last night, an inch or two of snow, which basically shut the entire city down and schools are closed today. God help us when we get three feet.

Yeah Henry, the Today Show was making fun of you all this morning. :)

They did say that Harrisonburg was supposed to get 24+ inches, and DC was 18-24. I live 40 minutes from HBurg, so... yay. :(

Not sure if it was so in VA, but the roads up in MD didn't just have a dusting of snow, there was ice under it that made driving conditions terrible.

The good thing about 2 ft of snow is that only those of us with 4 wheel drive can push through easily so there is less traffic on the roads. But...there is always that handful of idiots in Honda Civics who think they can get through the snow with ease.

I miss my baby! But the Suburban will get me through just fine.

DSC_3299.jpg

I know it may sound crazy, but I really miss snow. Ya, there are always those Bozo's out in the worst of it in little vehicles, but it's really not the vehicle as much as the driver. One of my favorite things to do in my youth was going for a joyride during snowstorms at night. Only time I ever used a 4X4 was while plowing. I go out in my 850 Fiat Spider, and cruise all night. It was rear engine, so Just like the rep the VW bug had for being capable in the snow, it did just fine. It's only limitation was snow depth. About a foot was it's limit being it only weighed 1200 some odd pounds, and the front was like the bow of a small boat so it would ride up on it in the real deep stuff. Never got stuck, just ah to backtrack at times :) Even all my other cars, snow never stopped me.

At this point in time, I'd venture a guess that over half the people with drivers licences have never developed driving skills for more then the average dry day. Technology is making it worse IMO as people become more dependent on the latest driving aids.

84 Bornco Brian ?

84 Bornco Brian ?

It's a 95...best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it with 70k on it and drove it til the transmission went up at 265k. Then the kids came along nd I never put the money into a new transmission. I know Pete, something as simple as a transmission. I just had too many other priorities.

Extra 2500? That's a new lens! Hahaha!

good used Bronco's are highly sought after.

Looks like Hampton Roads will be spared for the most part. Here on the peninsula they are saying 2-4 inches. I with take that over the 20-24 inches most of state forecasted for.

So ... the Panther/Cardinal game should be interesting ...

As much sleet as snow so far in my neck of the woods. Not a little storm, but not 'Snow-ma-geddon' like most news channels promised.

Charlotte will get some weather, but doubt it will seriously impact anything. Weather people are just big hype artists if you ask me.

I'm so freaking jealous! I lived in Fairfax county for the storm of '78. I haven't seen snow in almost 25 years now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.