• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Severe/Interesting/Unique Weather Thread

We were supposed to get 1-3" of snow, instead we got 8". A cold front came through, the wind is blowing 30 mph, so all that snow I just blew out of the driveway will be drifting back in I'm sure. The low tonight is -10 with a windchill of -35, brrrrrr

We were supposed to get 1-3" of snow, instead we got 8". A cold front came through, the wind is blowing 30 mph, so all that snow I just blew out of the driveway will be drifting back in I'm sure. The low tonight is -10 with a windchill of -35, brrrrrr

Whaaaaaaaaaaa!

Very strange winter indeed, supposed to get in 40's up here this week. Just waiting for the mad hatter to pop out for a tea party.

Last edited:
Took the wife to dinner about 20 minutes from our house and got caught in a snow storm. Valet parked and the kid that was getting our car after dinner took 15 minutes to get our car while the wind and snow whipped us. I almost slapped the jerk. He practically crawled to get our car.

Driving home, people had the hazards on, going 15 mph and blocking anyone from going around them.

WTF is wrong with people? There is barely 3 friggin inches of snow and they act like it's armageddon!!!

Last edited:
It's been 20 degrees warmer than normal out here for the past week. I've woke up in the middle of the night 3 times with a bloody nose that's lasted for at least 30 minutes at a time.

Took the wife to dinner about 20 minutes from our house and got caught in a snow storm. Valet parked and the kid that was getting our car after dinner took 15 minutes to get our car while the wind and snow whipped us. I almost slapped the jerk. He practically crawled to get our car.

Driving home, people had the hazards on, going 15 mph and blocking anyone from going around them.

WTF is wrong with people? There is barely 3 friggin inches of snow and they act like it's armageddon!!!

I never valet our truck, can't stand that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never valet our truck, can't stand that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always valet, lazy and all. But at Columbia Mall...it's a must. Not to mention, the valet is free at the restaurant. Cheap and lazy!

Snow and ice should come to an end for the mid Atlantic and northeast today. Enjoy the extra day off.

Here in the midsouth, we are socked in and could be that way until the weekend. Every single road is covered with snow and ice to about two inches thick. With very little removal equipment down here, the area is paralyzed.

Stay safe everyone.

Very strange winter indeed, supposed to get in 40's up here this week. Just waiting for the mad hatter to pop out for a tea party.

That's cause y'all keep sending the cold air down here!

Another round of snow down here last night. Really dang cold for the eastern two-thirds of the nation for the next three days or so.

Everyone digging out from the latest snow and ice storm? Still digging out down here and I am watching it. Let others do it. :)

This is a major freeway in san diego on Monday
0418d77e2a3ea27c810df54d4839032e.jpg

Hurricane Joaquin is starting to concern me. The GFS (American) model has it coming directly into the Chesapeake Bay. One forecaster said this would be the 100 year storm if it does. I am praying the European model is correct and it goes out to sea. Majority of models show it impacting coastal NC/VA/MD.

What do the meteorologist here see? (please let it be good)

From my FB page earlier this morning...

Early Fall Weather Update - Important

Greetings. Hope everyone had a good summer. The early fall weather is really becoming a nuisance in some areas while a few of you are shivering in conditions that make it feel like late October. Let’s get right to it.

The Southeast, Mid Atlantic, Northeast, and New England should be building a few arks – if not already. Recent rains have created havoc in many of these areas and some locations are still under flood watches and warnings. Unfortunately, there is more to come.

Tropical storm Joaquin is lingering in the southwest Atlantic and will begin a northward jog within a day or two. It could capture some or all of the moisture from former tropical storm Ida over the next day or so. Joaquin will also become a hurricane during this time. Some computer models are suggesting that it could come ashore somewhere between the middle Outer Banks to Virginia Beach and then move over the bigger cities (DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston) from this weekend to the middle of next week.

Other computer models are leaning toward staying close to the coast and then coming inland along the Jersey Shore by very late in the weekend or sometime on Monday – yes, very much like Sandy.

One thing is certain, the aforementioned regions are going to receive copious amounts of rain (what you don’t need). Tidal conditions such as rip currents, storm surges, and coastal flooding will be common.

I will be posting two updates each day (one more later today) and the frequency will increase as we get closer to knowing what course Joaquin will take.

In other parts of the country…

The growing season has officially ended in much of the northern plains, but temps will moderate. Fall has certainly arrived in these areas. The Deep South, Mid South, and Southeast could see a growing season that lasts well into November and possibly early December. California could continue to see more moisture this fall as the El Nino kicks into high gear. Fortunately, the fires in the Rockies and Northwest are in the past.

In a few weeks, the winter weather forecast will be posted.

Updates are coming as we go along.

A quick mid afternoon update.

East coast college and NFL football games could be impacted. It is assumed that they will make the appropriate calls to postpone or play. If you are planning to attend one of these events, stay tuned to your local forecasts, the National Hurricane Center, and the updates provided here.

Gary, I am leaning toward a strike on the Jersey Shore sometime on Monday. However, it will be very windy and VERY rainy throughout the Mid Atlantic.

Well I know it's going to be bad here...heard Jim Cantore is in VA Beach! lol

As posted on my FB page a short time ago.

Mid Day Tropical Update

As payment for my services, I would like a pizza. Or a barbeque sammich. You know where to reach me.

The computer models continue an eastward trend and that's great. However, this is how the models handled Sandy a few days prior to striking land. They were all over the place and it wasn't until thirty-six hours before it hit the Jersey Shore that we knew where it was going. Even then, we had a few doubts.

With all of that being said, many models now have it heading to somewhere between Manhattan to Cape Cod. It would be great if this eastward trend continues and I hope that scenario plays out, but we need to continue to keep a cautious eye on Joaquin. Tomorrow's models could be completely different and have it totally out to sea or it starts to bring it back to the west. There are several systems in the northern, middle, and southern Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf and U.S. mainland that are having an effect on Joaquin.

If I had to give out odds of where this system is heading, I would say twenty percent strike in North Carolina, twenty percent mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, twenty percent Jersey Shore, and the rest divided up between Long Island, Cape Cod, and out to sea. In other words, computer models are all over the place and still very divided on a solution.

We'll continue this vigil and try to pinpoint what happens in the next couple of days. We do know that all of SC, NC, VA, DE, most of NJ, and parts of FL, GA, NY, MD, WV have flood watches posted. Stayed tuned to your local services for updates and posted watches/warnings. Again, heed the advice of local media, NHC, and your favorite sources. Updates will be posted here periodically.

See you as we go along. Oh, and I repeat, pizza and barbeque sammiches.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.