• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Severe/Interesting/Unique Weather Thread

I really need to add a report for Alaska and Hawaii. Give me a week or two.

Oh I guarantee you could call the weather for here better than local forecasts. Been pretty crisp (20ish) and sunny forever it seems.

Over the last few days, many of you along the east coast have been tracking a storm and the potential impact it will have on the Thanksgiving holiday travel. Earlier over the weekend, one computer model was predicting a massive snowstorm, but I had some doubts - even several days ago.

That thinking looks to be much more accurate, but some areas will still see larger amounts. I had nothing against that particular computer model (EURO), but it was just one sample. All respect is given to the EURO, but I knew that it was an outlier from the beginning - the 8+ prediction for the major cities was too bullish for a colder solution.

The vertical velocity for this system could bring in a last hour or two of additional (read, heavier) snow, but that is not realistic. The blocking feature over the Canadian Maritimes is simply too weak.

Biggest accumulations continue to be north and west of the big cities, including DC, PHL, NYC, and BOS. Going with rain along the immediate coastal areas, a general one to three inches for the big cities and surrounding areas, three to six inches for areas to the north and west of the big cities, and six to ten for places further inland (some areas could reach around twelve plus).

Time frame: Wednesday morning to Thursday morning.

If the colder air rushes in a bit quicker than expected (the vertical velocity that was mentioned), we could see an additional inch or two. An upper level feature over Iowa will push the cold core further to the east while the storm system is really coming together near the OBX, Virginia Beach, Eastern Shore. Again, the thinking is that it may bring an additional inch or two at the end of the storm, but not likely. Be sure to keep an eye on last minute changes. I'll have updates, if needed.

Well we FINALLY got snow last night. Just about 1/2" or so but this yr it'd be considered unique. You guys have been hogging all the snow lately.

I'm located in the Matsu valley region and we don't seem to get as much as everywhere else in AK. That being said this time last year we had give or take 3' by now. I think so far this yr it's like 6".

image.jpg

Edit: In 2011 we broke like a 50 year record and ended up with over 13' overall snowfall by spring.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering here is how dark it is at 4:15 in AK.

image.jpg

California, the rains cometh. The pattern could be a good one through at least the middle of this month.

Hey, west coast? Are you ready? Ok, time for a weather update and this one takes us to the Pacific Northwest and all the way down to Southern California.

High wind watches and warnings are posted for all areas over the next few days with the exception being extreme SoCal. Be sure to check on your local forecast for updates. The winds will be quite strong and many trees could come down, especially in areas where the ground is saturated. Limit travel if possible.

Numerous flood watches and warnings are posted for many areas as well. The Northwest could receive massive amounts of rain with many mudslides and closed roads. Slightly less amounts for Oregon, Northern and Central California are expected, but mudslides will be common along with closed roads. Heed all suggestions from law enforcement.

Higher elevations will receive heavy snow amounts in the Olympics, Cascades, Sierra Nevada, and adjoining regions.

High surf along the entire West Coast is expected. Only surfers with experience should venture out.

In extreme SoCal, much needed rains will arrive in the latter part of the week. It won't relieve the drought conditions, but any rains are certainly welcomed.

Stay tuned to updates from local forecasters in your region. Don't drive your car in flooded areas, even if it appears to be shallow. Bring smaller/loose items inside as these winds will be powerful. Again, heed all warnings from local and state agencies/law enforcement.

Coldest air of the winter is moving in for us in Ohio. Minus 5 real temp and 25-30 below with the wind chill. I might have to break out my winter coat instead of just my hoodie jacket ;)

Posted this a short time ago on FB.

Just taking a look at the latest model runs and now this storm for the mid Atlantic and northeast (Monday to Tuesday morning) is making us forecasters do a double take. It has become a storm to watch as some models are predicting a monster. This has some signs of looking like a classic Miller B type storm, but for now I am thinking that it only has a few of these characteristics.

If it comes to fruition, then places like BOS will have up to thirty inches and NYC, PHL, NJ, BWI, DCA, and areas to the east of these locations could be looking at one to two feet. I'll check on this throughout the night and have more in the morning.

FYI, this is not the previously mentioned storm for next weekend. That particular system will be monitored in the days to come.

More as we go along.

Posted this a short time ago on FB.

Just taking a look at the latest model runs and now this storm for the mid Atlantic and northeast (Monday to Tuesday morning) is making us forecasters do a double take. It has become a storm to watch as some models are predicting a monster. This has some signs of looking like a classic Miller B type storm, but for now I am thinking that it only has a few of these characteristics.

If it comes to fruition, then places like BOS will have up to thirty inches and NYC, PHL, NJ, BWI, DCA, and areas to the east of these locations could be looking at one to two feet. I'll check on this throughout the night and have more in the morning.

FYI, this is not the previously mentioned storm for next weekend. That particular system will be monitored in the days to come.

More as we go along.

Meteorologist, I gather?

We have about 4" of snow today, still coming down but I think it will end soon. We have close to a foot on the ground right now from this and other storms, and it looks like we will get another 3-6" of snow on thursday plus some cold temps.

Glad I have a snow blower ;)

71 - Rain today
75 - slight rain tomorrow
80 - sunshine

sounds ideal, right? I miss actual weather and seasons.

71 - Rain today
75 - slight rain tomorrow
80 - sunshine

sounds ideal, right? I miss actual weather and seasons.

I used to when I lived in SoFL...then I experienced the bitter cold from last year and you can have it!

If it makes y'all feel any better, I sure could use a couple of snow days about now. I'm definitely kind of jealous. Do be careful though.

Supposed to get around a foot of snow on Sunday here. We roughly have 12-18" on the ground. Lake effect machine has been kicking, lots of blowing and drifting snow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.