• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Severe/Interesting/Unique Weather Thread

Hey guys, I literally just got back home this afternoon for the very first time, since the storm began nearly 2 weeks ago.
So this is what happened, and why I didn't and couldn't type updates.

I was initially prepared to ride out the storm. Then at the last minute my brother absolutely insisted that I evacuate, when he heard the forecast was 40 inches of rain, on top of a possible 20 foot storm surge at the coast, which I'm less than 10 miles from. They were predicting "catastrophic" level flooding. So I think my brother was expecting something like Katrina.

So I left town as the outer storm bands were touching down. I think I was the last person to evacuate. The roads were pretty bare. So I met up with my mother who was staying with friends in a hotel in southern VA. Then her friends left her.

So I took her to another house in VA, which was a vacant house offered to us, by a friend of the family, but it was fully furnished. However the house did not have any wifi or internet service at all. And neither me nor my mother had smart phones ourselves. So it was a rough position to try to update people online. Then once the storm passed, there was a long waiting period, because the town was completely surrounded by flooded water. The town was literally like an island, with all roads leading back in, flooded for days.

I-40 was unrecognizable, as it literally looked like a river, not a highway. You all may have seen the pic. Just when you thought it was safe to return, the rivers would rise and flood roads again. One bridge totally washed away, eliminating that way home.

So after about 2 weeks of waiting as waters receded and rose and receded and rose, we were finally given the green light to drive home. Good news is, while staying in the vacant VA house, while they didn't have wifi, they did have a TV with an antennae and local channels, and the Skins are considered the local team there, so I got to enjoy every play in the beautiful win against GB. A rare treat, since the Skins are almost never televised this part of NC.

Anyhow, the whole family is safe, and no residential damage whatsoever for us. Although, many many people were far from being so fortunate.So, sorry this was so long, but this storm was the experience of a lifetime, which I'll never forget.
And thanks very much for all the concern.

Been in your position, glad you and your family are safe!

Massive earthquake in Alaska. @Win4us , can you check in with us, sir ?

Still here, these earthquakes are getting old. Damn things have not stopped since Friday, like over 1000 now

https://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes

Point MacKenzie is getting shit hammered around the clock. There's nothing on the news about why either, at least not a legit reason.

My house has held up like a champ so far, but next door neighbors lost heat and their roof separated. Between damage and re-inspection our schools are closed down for the week.

What's crazy is the only known fault lines are nowhere near the area, atleast to the public. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
We've got close to a foot already and it's supposed to continue snowing all day. Gotta be at work at 7 a.m. in the morning so the commute should be interesting :)

More than a dusting ...

8a155fe271656b3352aab296e4f3dc6f.jpg
13a693d6f70233b516b7b5ce5caf1a86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just measured - 16” and still coming down. Wow.

We got a whopping 2" of snow last night. Last winter sucked too, freezing rain 90% of the time.

Beyond ready to go snowmobiling

Just measured - 16” and still coming down. Wow.

Yeah, that iss far worse than when I was down there.

For those of you wondering what Southcentral Alaska weather is like...

82EF4CB1-BDA8-4E21-BE8B-93F6EAE42F72.jpg

-12 tonight with 30's projected next week. Good times

For those of you wondering what Southcentral Alaska weather is like...

View attachment 4088

-12 tonight with 30's projected next week. Good times

It's that Pacific Stream, that brings cool waters, and consequently cold weather there.
The only solution is to build a wall. Essentially like a "Sea Wall" to cut off the cold pacific stream.
Your governor should request federal funds from the president to build that Alaskan Sea Wall.

Is that severe, interesting, or unique weather? WRONG THREAD!!!

Summer has finally arrived down here. After weeks of low to mid 20C, today reached a peak of 43C. A quick and nasty way of converting it to what Americans know is to double it and add 32. That would make it about 118F!

This had to have been an F5. Total destruction and looking at these images amazing that the loss of life is estimated to be 23. Not sure how anyone survived this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.