• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Which Redskin will be the biggest shocker, to not make the final roster in 2014 ?

Which Redskins will be the biggest shocker to be cut in August ?

• Stephen Bowen

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Kai Forbath

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Leonard Hankerson

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Roy Helu

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Jarvis Jenkins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brandon Jenkins

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Niles Paul

• Bacarri Rambo

• Barry Cofield

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Santana Moss

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Ryan Grant

• Other

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
Wish it allowed me to put more than 12 options for this.
Actually only 11, since the obligatory "Other" option had to be offered.

There's a chance more than one of these guys get cut, so which one on the list will both be cut, and also be the biggest shocker ?

There's bound to be people who don't like this list, based on either inclusions or exclusions, but this is a tough list to ponder, for various reasons.

Felt obligated to include at least one draft pick, so I settled on Grant, mainly because he was neither a high round, or low round pick

Last edited:
Niles Paul, he was without a doubt our best cover guy on St last year. In a pinch he can fill in as KR.

Helu, Cofield and Bowen will not be cut. The other just won't be shocking. Javaris would be a shock since his knee should not be an issue, but I don't see him actually getting cut. Brandon Jenkins wouldn't be a surprise to be cut not that they re-signed Jackson and drafted Murphy.

Hank would be more of a surprise to make the team. I think Rambo is safe for at least one more season...if he can wrap up the tackle!

Moss going would be a shocker. At some point though you have to make room for the future, and Santana is not going to be part of the future.

Moss going would be a shocker. At some point though you have to make room for the future, and Santana is not going to be part of the future.

Feels like we've been saying this for like 5 years!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yeah, you're right about that...

I'm going with Brandon Meriweather. It's a minor cap savings but that isn't the point. One more ugly hit hit and he'll probably be looking @ 1 year off. I think someone will step up enough and the Skins will say we're good enough here and they're tired of his on the field antics anyway. Dude's been a pro 8 years; not gonna break him now.

I'm going with Brandon Meriweather.

I actually had him on my poll list up until the last second, and took him off only because I thought I heard from some source that he and Clark had been named the initial starters. So with the starter tag, I figured there'd be no way he'd be cut. If there had have been 13 options on the poll, I definitely would have added him !

I actually had him on my poll list up until the last second, and took him off only because I thought I heard from some source that he and Clark had been named the initial starters. So with the starter tag, I figured there'd be no way he'd be cut. If there had have been 13 options on the poll, I definitely would have added him !

Based on your opening criteria, provided I understood correctly, yeah he'd be my choice. I interpreted (possibly incorrectly) was that #1 somebody I think would be cut and #2 someone shocking to the majority.

Right now, I guess one would have to pencil Clark & Meriweather as #1 & 2 but again I think (actually hope) somebody(s) bump Brandon to the street. There's some time & talent to do that.

Questions for anyone/everyone: How many pure Safeties do the Skins typically carry into the season and are they now kinda erasing that line between FS & SS with some new additions? Might cause me to reflect and change my mind concerning Meriweather getting cut. Doubt it, rather stubborn...but I'd still like answers cause I really don't know.

I'll go with Helu, since I don't think Gruden's system uses a fullback much. However, Young is more valuable as a passing down guy for his blocking, and with Morris sand Seastrunk, I think Helu is the odd man out.

Edit: polls don't show up on mobile, so I can't vote officially.

I think Moss would be the biggest shocker, much like Cooley a few years back, it's always a shock when a fixture of the team and a TRUE Redskin finally is relieved of his duties.

Biggest surprise cut?... I'll go with Griffin :thud: :playful:

In terms of the would-be-shocked-but-not-out-of-the-question, Forbath, Helu and Santana are probably a bit hot under the collar at the moment. Forbath would be the biggest shock from that shortlist.

Chris Chester.

He is the second highest paid OL, is the oldest at 31 and is coming off a forgettable 2013 season.

I have not seen his name on too many cut lists but think he is vulnerable.

He is too expensive to be a backup so if he loses out to a younger player at RG I see the team cutting him and using the money to wait and see which safeties, backup tight ends or DL get released from other clubs.

There's a lot of irony putting together a list like this, thus the difficulty creating it.

Because on one hand, you're almost predicting a certain player or players, will be cut.
So, if you're predicting it, then it wouldn't really be a shocker, would it ?

And you're not going to put people on the list, who you believe have close to zero percent chance of being cut,
like someone solidy penciled in as a starter, for obvious reasons. Then again, a player like that, would be the biggest shocker of all, which is more irony.

So, I guess you pick people who you believe have a really small chance of being cut - like 10 or 20 or 30% chance.

I think most people see Chester making the team, so that to me would be at least a mild surprise.

One thought though ran through my mind - if a qb goes down in the spring/summer do the Redskins look to move Cousins for a 2015 pick?

That would be a surprise to more than a few.

I'll go with Helu, since I don't think Gruden's system uses a fullback much. However, Young is more valuable as a passing down guy for his blocking, and with Morris sand Seastrunk, I think Helu is the odd man out.

Helu isn't really a FB, so he isn't competing with Young for a roster spot.
He's a rotational RB, with Morris

Helu isn't really a FB, so he isn't competing with Young for a roster spot.
He's a rotational RB, with Morris

Thanks, I know. I was saying Young would take Helu's RB spot, because Gruden's offense doesn't use a fullback from what I've heard.

I think most people see Chester making the team, so that to me would be at least a mild surprise.

One thought though ran through my mind - if a qb goes down in the spring/summer do the Redskins look to move Cousins for a 2015 pick?

That would be a surprise to more than a few.

Most people who see Chester as making the team is basing it on what they have seen from their current players and the numbers.

Skins will carry 6 interior OL. If you use a G/C @ C; both Kory & McGlynn are in - one is a backup to the other. Lauvao is in, Long is in whether he starts or not. So you need two more from Chester, Hurt, LiRibeus & Gettis. Either Kowalski or Stevens would ice it but that's a long shot and both are PS eligible still.

Basically it comes down to in order to cut Chester; Long has to start or at least one of either LiRibeus & Gettis has to show up. I would count Hurt in but you still need one more. Right now (if Long does not start); outside of Chester your bench looks like: Long, Hurt and, well pick one of the other two. If he does start, now you have Kory or McGlynn on the bench, Hurt and now I think your OK with the #6 guy.

Most people who see Chester as making the team is basing it on what they have seen from their current players and the numbers.

Skins will carry 6 interior OL. If you use a G/C @ C; both Kory & McGlynn are in - one is a backup to the other. Lauvao is in, Long is in whether he starts or not. So you need two more from Chester, Hurt, LiRibeus & Gettis. Either Kowalski or Stevens would ice it but that's a long shot and both are PS eligible still.

Basically it comes down to in order to cut Chester; Long has to start or at least one of either LiRibeus & Gettis has to show up. I would count Hurt in but you still need one more. Right now (if Long does not start); outside of Chester your bench looks like: Long, Hurt and, well pick one of the other two. If he does start, now you have Kory or McGlynn on the bench, Hurt and now I think your OK with the #6 guy.

What about Compton ?
You think Polumbus and/or McGlynn move to backup RT, and that bumps Compton off the roster, or does Compton have a chance at taking the backup RT ?
Or could Compton backup Trent ?

Last edited:
Compton has been backing up Trent but Shanahan never used him even when Trent was dinged or they needed help on the right side with Polumbus battling a hamstring strain.

The fact these 2011 picks have never gotten on the field is a big question mark for the organization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.