• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Browns Interest In Kirk Cousins

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
From the reports the Browns offered the Redskins a fourth round pick for Cousins during the draft.

If true, and Allen denies it, the Redskins did the right thing in declining the offer.

A fourth rounder for a 24 year old quarterback the Browns supposedly thought had a good chance of starting for them in 2014?

Potential starters are so valuable in this league you see guys like AJ Feeley traded for a #2 pick and guys like Tebow taken in the first round despite many teams thinking he would be a better tight end or running back.

So, Washington takes Cousins and he learns the NFL for 2 years here with the current Browns OC and Cleveland wanted to give us our pick back as if we had made a mistake? :)

I don't think Cousins is worth a #1 pick but for a team to give up its insurance policy at qb behind a starter with an injury history you might want to start by offering slightly more than a pick in the 120's.

We have a QB who has never played a full season and Cleveland has openly admitted they're looking for a starter. Cousins is worth more to the 'Skins than the 4th-rounder.

Nick

Yeah, and imagine how hot it is going to get in Cleveland if Manziel is a busted pick.

Agreed. A high 2nd rounder would've been something to think about, but a 4th? Gimme a break.

Maybe even low 2nd or high 3rd in a draft this deep....

If Vinny were here we would not have had the pick to even draft him.... I think it takes a 2nd rounder to let him go, we will see next next offseason.

Well, I have more confidence in Cousins coming in for Griffin if necessary than Colt McCoy or Tommy Rees.

If and when the Redskins find a capable backup that can come in and win a couple of games when necessary we can trade Cousins.

But there is no reason to jump the shark.

the fact Harbaugh had him in SF and let him go after one year has me questioning whether McCoy has a real future in the NFL.

a quarterback getting cut by Harbaugh is like a defensive lineman getting cut by Bill Belichick. They know these positions better than any other and can spot talent as well as anyone.

Well, I just don't see Cousins sticking around if RG3 is the franchise guy. Your #2 should be competent at handing off the ball (and place holding)...not competing for the #1 job and creating a qb controversy the minute your #1 has a bad couple of games.

When a #1 goes down in week 3 or 4 of the season, look for a Cousins trade.

And they'll get more value than the Browns offer.

Not saying they should've taken it (quite glad they did not) but it wasn't a bad negotiating starting point - #4 of the 4th by Cleveland. But if Skins take the trade - then what? Probably would have drafted a QB somewhere along the line - so basically trading Kirk for a rookie QB. I mean, they really wouldn't wait and pick up two UDFA's going into camp with RGIII & Colt. If they take a 2nd or maybe a 3rd; some room to draft down and still grab a QB without losing a pick.

Extremely glad we didn't take that offer. Cousins for a 4th round pick is stupid at this point. I have complete confidence in RG3, but if for some reason he goes down this year, I want Cousins around more than any of our other backup QB's. At some point the time will be right to trade him, but that time will come when we get more of a grasp of how RG3 is handling injury-free play AND we get a much better offer.

At the risk of it being interpreted as criticism of #12 ...

Personally I need to see a lot more of Cousins before I'm convinced he is a legitimate starting NFL quarterback. The early impressions we got of him, at the very end of the Baltimore game in 2012, and then in his start at Cleveland, were great. No doubt. He was poised, effective, and delivered. BUT ... it was in very limited action, against defenses that had not prepared for his version of the 2012 Skins offense vs the RGIII offense, and on a team that at the time was 'feeling it' and playing well around him.

I am equally if not more swayed by the evidence I saw last season, when Kirk looked like just another guy. Yes the team was in a downward spiral, and yes he was under seige every time he dropped back, but in the games he played, defenses treated him like we have seen so many Redskins QB's treated over the past few years--with utter disdain for his ability to hurt them down the field. He did not raise the level of the players around him, at least not to my eye.

What I still need to see from Cousins is the ability to consistenly hurt a defense in the intermediate zones, sideline to sideline, and down the field. The only tried and true formula to get an NFL defense to slow the pass rush and loosen press coverage is to burn them down the field. If they get a whiff of inability to do that in a QB, the corners come up, the front seven pin their ears back, and you get a guy limited to dumping off hot routes and trying to convert underneath stuff, hoping for YAC and broken tackles simply to move the chains.

I HOPE for his sake Kirk has a legit downfield NFL arm ... but based on his college tapes, and the limited NFL resume we've seen o date, I just haven't seen enough of one to make me think he's ever going to be more than a solid #2 on any team with title aspirations.

So, absent a #2 pick, or something comparable, I think it served the Redskins best interests to keep him right where he is. As an insurance policy for Robert, his value right now is high. As to anything beyond that, to me he's still a question mark at best.

Right. The question is how Farmer actually thought the Redskins were going to trade Cousins merely to recover a #4 pick from two years ago.

The Browns had to deal their #3 pick to move up and take a guy in Manziel that is as controversial a pick as Tebow was.

After gambling on Couch, Quinn, and Weedon in the first round you would think the Browns might go into this draft a little less desperate to just make a pick.

I don't know of its true or not, but I read somewhere that the Browns paid a consultant/research group something like $100,000 to develop an algorithm to identify the best QB potential in this draft. I also read that when they used it to eval this years QB class that it showed Teddy Bridgewater was the best of this group. And they then selected Manziel. Who are you so wise in the ways of science????!

The rumor was that after the Redskins declined to trade Cousins Farmer was going to take Bridgewater but Haslam said the team needed to make an impact selection and told them to take Manziel.

The philosophy of the owner making the picks certainly had worked well in Dallas and Wasington over the years :laugh:

there is also a rumor that a homeless dude told the owner of the Browns to pick Jon BootFall..sooooo.......

Must have been the same homeless guy that was advising Mike Holmgren and the Lerners all these years :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.