• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Send Cease and Desist Letter to Arrington

tshile

Redskins great LaVar Arrington can't market himself as a Redskins great

“The Washington Redskins announced today the 10 members of the organization selected to join the 70 Greatest Redskins named in 2002 and complete the 80 Greatest Redskins of All-Time,” the team’s Web site announced in the summer of 2012. That’s a bunch of greatness in one sentence. Former linebacker LaVar Arrington was among the 10 men “selected by fans and a blue ribbon panel” to join that list of great Redskins.

But being named a Redskins great is different than marketing yourself as a Redskins great, and so the team recently sent Arrington a cease-and-desist letter about a flier for his football tackling camps that refers to him as a “Redskins great” and includes a photo of him in a Redskins uniform.

Arrington — a Washington Post contributor and someone I consider a friend — wrote about the incident on Twitter Thursday from New York, where he’s contributing to NFL Network’s draft coverage. He confirmed in a text message that the above image is the one that caught the Redskins’ attention.

A Redskins spokesman declined to comment. Arrington, in an interview with Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan, said he respected the legal implications and that he hadn’t prepared the flier himself, but joked that using the Redskins name and colors would not have helped camp attendance much.

“They won three games last year, man,” Arrington said on the show. “I mean, it’s not like saying 'Redskins great’ is going to sell out my camp. … I mean, we didn’t win very many games when I was there, so I just thought I was doing them a favor.”

He said his tweets were “all in good fun,” but also poked fun at the Redskins, who did not have a pick in Thursday’s first round.

“I guess since they’re not picking anybody tonight, I guess they figured they’d concentrate on other things,” he said.

For more information about Arrington’s camps, see here.

If marketing yourself as a Redskins Great doesn't help you, then by all means please take your radio show elsewhere and don't bother to show up at any more Redskin Events. That way I don't have to boo you when they announce you at homecoming; it's tacky, but I refuse to cheer for a guy that's spent so much time trashing the organization.

I can't stand Arrington but I will say this is the kind of petty crap that makes people view the Snyder reign with so much venom.

I can't stand Arrington but I will say this is the kind of petty crap that makes people view the Snyder reign with so much venom.

That's true, but Arrington is such a fraud the way he trashes the organization then rides its coat tails for his career that this is one of the rare times I'm glad they did this.

I don't expect anyone outside of the redskins fan base to see this any way other than Snyder being typical Snyder, but I don't care what those people think anyways :)

Whatever about Arrington, but this makes the Redskins continue to look like petty, whining little *****es. I really hate what Snyder has turned this organization into.

I'm thinking that the cease and desist has to do with unlicensed use of the Skins uniform for a private profit venture, and not use of the term "Redskins great?"

That's true, but Arrington is such a fraud the way he trashes the organization then rides its coat tails for his career that this is one of the rare times I'm glad they did this.

You know, years ago I used to get all pissy with media members and ex-players who trashed the organization. But over the years I've started worrying less about their opinions and more about how correct they continue to be about how crappy this team continues to be.

If the team REALLY gave a damn about shutting critics up, they'd actually field a consistently decent team. This stuff? More of the same Redskins who are all about style and nothing about substance.

This is all about the benjamins. It's what the NFL is mostly about these days. The players know it. The owners know it. The commish knows it.

A side show in my mind. Ignore it...or...as Henry has prophetically posted.....eventually walk away from it all as a fan when the football itself is so commercialized, feminized and equalized that it aint worth watching.

I'm thinking that the cease and desist has to do with unlicensed use of the Skins uniform for a private profit venture, and not use of the term "Redskins great?"
Agreed.

You know, years ago I used to get all pissy with media members and ex-players who trashed the organization. But over the years I've started worrying less about their opinions and more about how correct they continue to be about how crappy this team continues to be.

If the team REALLY gave a damn about shutting critics up, they'd actually field a consistently decent team. This stuff? More of the same Redskins who are all about style and nothing about substance.

Well, I'm only concerned about those that then turn around and depend on the fan base of the organization they trash for their livelihood. Alexander also trashed the team, but he's not back here hosting a radio show for redskins fans like LaVar is.

For me it's not about shutting up critics - it's about not rewarding petulance. It irritates me to no end that there's enough redskins fans that listen to his radio show that it's still on the air.

I get your feelings on it - 100%. You're absolutely right. But this guy... this guy is a little different for me.

When narcissists fight... you gotta' love it to a degree... ;)

Nick

Hmm.

I enjoy making fun of Snyder for past mistakes as much as the next guy, but seems to me at some point objectivity dictates recognition that times have changed. In this case we're talking about a cease and desist letter--those are daily bread in big business. If Arrington is using the Skins copyrighted logo/image for his own profit venture, it would be Arrington in the wrong, not the team.

Seems to me that a business sending a standard letter in response to a standard instance of copyright infringement doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about winning?

I would think if you're named as one of the 70 greatest redskins, you'd be allowed to market yourself as such. I don't think Snyder has much of a case, it's just more Snyder being Snyder.

As far as Arrington goes, I don't really have a problem with him. I know I'm in the minority with this, but I still think he got the raw end of the deal here.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I would think if you're named as one of the 70 greatest redskins, you'd be allowed to market yourself as such.
I don't think the law would agree.

More importantly, since we're talking about a specific instance here, I'm pretty sure there isn't a professional sports franchise, or any major business with an established brand, that would think twice about sending a standard cease and desist letter under this circumstance.

Probably not worth debating much at this point, though, given we have zero facts--just LaVar's self-serving radio appearance. I'm just trying to suggest that the rush to judge Snyder and Redskins on this one seems a bit premature and reactionary to me.

I'm with Om on this - more to do with trademark stuff. I know it's mostly apples & oranges but it did remind me of the RGIII and the motorcycle company dispute. And whose really getting the most out of this - Arrington is getting some free advertising.

Hmm.

I enjoy making fun of Snyder for past mistakes as much as the next guy, but seems to me at some point objectivity dictates recognition that times have changed.

According to the ultimate objective indicator, that being wins and losses ... it would be generous to say the jury is still out.

In this case we're talking about a cease and desist letter--those are daily bread in big business. If Arrington is using the Skins copyrighted logo/image for his own profit venture, it would be Arrington in the wrong, not the team.

Seems to me that a business sending a standard letter in response to a standard instance of copyright infringement doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about winning?

Oh you're probably correct. Of course, the Redskins could probably write you a letter and ask BGO not to use the logo, or the phrase 'Burgundy and Gold' or whatever on our home page banner. And we'd probably technically in the wrong. Doesn't make the whole thing less petty and stupid ... and vintage Dan Snyder.

So we're pissed at Snyder but somehow are ok with lavaratory talking shit on us when he left just to come back and use a radio show to insult us whenever he can?

Anything that makes lavaratory know he's not truly a redskins great is ok with me!

According to the ultimate objective indicator, that being wins and losses ... it would be generous to say the jury is still out.
Agreed as to the empirical results, of course. As to stretching to the implication (accusation?) that they still care more about style than substance, not so much. We don't have the Vinny and Dan show. We have Bruce Allen. We don't sign 36 year old Deions and Jeff Georges any more. We sign dudes no one knows to play OL and the occasional 27 year old stud WR from a division rival. Work with me here.

Oh you're probably correct. Of course, the Redskins could probably write you a letter and ask BGO not to use the logo, or the phrase 'Burgundy and Gold' or whatever on our home page banner. And we'd probably technically in the wrong. Doesn't make the whole thing less petty and stupid ... and vintage Dan Snyder.
They DID write us (well, our vendor anyway) and tell us to stop using the logo. Remember? Because we were selling merch with the feathers and face. We weren't happy about it, but they were right. That's why we changed logos for a couple years ... until we decided **** the money, we want our sweet original logo back, so we just won't sell shit with it any more. :)

Guess what it comes down to is I disagree that following standard legal practices is petty and stupid. Even when it's Dan Snyder on the other end of the cause.

I'm not sure we have to pick sides here? Can't we hate both of them? Snyder and Arrington both suck. There.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.