• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tanard Jackson to be reinstated 5/6/2014

If he can get somewhat close to the football shape he was in before, I'd seriously consider him over Merriweather.
I recall him being pretty solid in the short time he played, before his last suspension.
And we all know Brewsky Allen will be cheering him on.

- the article makes it sound like he is already a Redskin, again......didn't we have to re-sign him ? how does a 2-year suspension affect his contract ?

Last edited:
Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN
Jackson had signed a one-year deal with Washington earlier that spring, and that deal was rolled over until the suspension was lifted so he remains under contract with the Redskins.

I hope they keep him on the roster and give him a chance to make it back.

I have a sneaky suspicion this might turn out to be found money.

Like.

With Morris still on the coaching staff, I see them at least giving him a shot.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

This guy should be nothing more than a roster backup in case of serious injury. I wouldn't even want to count on him for that though. He should have been cut, I'd like to know how much this fiasco has cost us in $.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

it is hard to imagine that after 2 years out he will be even close to game shape.

That's what the offseason, training camp and preseason are for. :)

My only real question is whether the man has the gray matter necessary to understand he can't smoke up any more.

If he does, he potentially brings a physical presence to the secondary that is intriguing.

I find myself lining up with DM on this one. Too many "if's" for my liking. I'm not saying we should cut him outright, but if we find ourselves in the place of depending on him at ALL to not light up, we're in some serious trouble, imo. If he ends up being a camp body and wins a job, good for him.

As long as we have some legit backup plan in place in case stupid strikes again.

I find myself lining up with DM on this one. Too many "if's" for my liking. I'm not saying we should cut him outright, but if we find ourselves in the place of depending on him at ALL to not light up, we're in some serious trouble, imo. If he ends up being a camp body and wins a job, good for him.

As long as we have some legit backup plan in place in case stupid strikes again.

Tanard Jackson's return shouldn't alter Washington Redskins' plans - ESPN

By John Keim

The Redskins knew Tanard Jackson would be reinstated soon. What they don’t know is how much help he can provide. For the time being, he’s considered a bonus. If he works out, that’s great. If not, they won’t be harmed.

As long as the Redskins continue to take that approach, they can’t be let down -- as they were two years ago. But it also should not, and will not, alter their plans on draft day. One team source said there's nothing they will or won't do based on Jackson.

Thanks SNF, that's exactly what I was trying to say. Looks like the guys who get paid for this are on the ball. :)

This guy should be nothing more than a roster backup in case of serious injury. I wouldn't even want to count on him for that though. He should have been cut, I'd like to know how much this fiasco has cost us in $.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you mean in terms of his contract, the unpaid balance came off the cap with his suspension. The contract then picks up and hits the cap wherever the contract left off before the suspension. Teams aren't required to carry that in their cap numbers in case he is reinstated but if they don't and that contract now breaks the cap, the team has to get under by cuts or restructures. I don't know if he received any kind of workout or signing bonus before his suspension but it is pretty much his entire contract ($700K) because he didn't pick up any game checks.

In terms of collateral damage, I am not sure so some of you with better memories can help me out here. I am pretty sure this what ultimately led to the Meriweather signing for twice the money.

They can't cut and resign him to a lower number because now the four through six year vet minimum is $730K. So it's pretty much he shows something or he's gone.

That's what the offseason, training camp and preseason are for. :)

My only real question is whether the man has the gray matter necessary to understand he can't smoke up any more.

If he does, he potentially brings a physical presence to the secondary that is intriguing.

Offseason takes place what 4 to 8 weeks after the season ends not 2 years, that is a massive time for any athlete/sportsman.

With your last line I totaly agree

Well, that goes back to my original thought. To me this is nothing but a potential physical presence addition to the secondary.

We lose nothing by taking a look ... and I have seen nothing to indicate the team is counting on him and building their offseason plans around him.

If the dude has half a brain, he's spent the last two years realizing he's just about thrown away a life lottery ticket, and will come in with a clean attitude, clean blood and in good enough shape to GET in football shape by training camp.

If none of that happens, and he fades away, we've lost nothing.

If it does happen ... he's found money.

As long as the Redskins continue to take that approach, they can’t be let down -- as they were two years ago.

Oh no, make no mistake - we were definitely let down 2 years ago. We were counting on him to be a starter, and we didn't have an alternative plan in place, and worst of all was the timing - he was suspended immediately before the season started, so we were completely helpless. It was absolutely a crushing blow to our secondary. And the season that followed reflected that. Not to mention he had multiple offenses, which added to the letdown.

Last edited:
Oh no, make no mistake - we were definitely let down 2 years ago. We were counting on him to be a starter, and we didn't have an alternative plan in place, and worst of all was the timing - he was suspended immediately before the season started, so we were completely helpless. It was absolutely a crushing blow to our secondary. And the season that followed reflected that. Not to mention he had multiple offenses, which added to the letdown.
No mistake was made here. Everyone here knows how much the Redskins were affected by the suspension. Keim's "as they were two years ago" is a direct reference to that. He's saying that as long as they proceed now, just as they would have without him, they can't be let down.

In other words, the plan continues regardless. If he contributes in any positive way to the Redskins future, its an unplanned bonus.

It looks like we're all on the same page, including, and most importantly, the Redskins.

Last edited:
I wonder of it was the physical, the meetings with the team officials, or just what they had planned to do all along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.