• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What Does the Broncos Win Really Mean?

I must say I was pleasantly surprised yesterday. I DVR'ed the game, figuring that I wasn't going to waste a beautiful day watching the Skins take yet another ass pounding. Joke was on me.

A win is great. It feels good. I'm sure the team is feeling much better today. However, what scares me is the danny's reaction. Sure Lord Farquaad probably went to the locker room and said something he thought was inspirational like "when we play physical we win". Much more appreciated than the "danny mean eyes" bit.

But if he thinks this cures any of the basic rot, then we've really won nothing. If this is a notch in the pole to keep vinny, then we've won nothing.

On the other hand, if the danny realizes that we didn't win this game being a sound football team, but we won it because people played their asses off and played above expectations, there may be hope.

I ain't holdn't my breath

The two huge mistakes on D that lead to two big plays to Brandon Marshall will kill us against a good Cowboys team this week. Those type of boneheaded mistakes Just. Can't. Happen. They just can't. So while I'm excited we fought back against a good Denver defense, my position on this team hasn't changed really. I think we win a few more games now to finish 5-11 or 6-10, but still won't make any serious noise.

I'm also with Boone - Campbell is awful. He'll make a great play, then a dumb one. He's missed a wide-open Santana Moss for the last time, IMO - how many times has he overthrown that ball? Seriously? It has to be at least 10 times in the past 2 seasons. At LEAST. And he's still not seeing the field - he had a wide open Todd Yoder and didn't even see him. Maybe we should change Yoder's number to 47 until Cooley comes back? Would that help?

The two huge mistakes on D that lead to two big plays to Brandon Marshall will kill us against a good Cowboys team this week. Those type of boneheaded mistakes Just. Can't. Happen. They just can't. So while I'm excited we fought back against a good Denver defense, my position on this team hasn't changed really. I think we win a few more games now to finish 5-11 or 6-10, but still won't make any serious noise.

I'm also with Boone - Campbell is awful. He'll make a great play, then a dumb one. He's missed a wide-open Santana Moss for the last time, IMO - how many times has he overthrown that ball? Seriously? It has to be at least 10 times in the past 2 seasons. At LEAST. And he's still not seeing the field - he had a wide open Todd Yoder and didn't even see him. Maybe we should change Yoder's number to 47 until Cooley comes back? Would that help?

I'm no Campbell fan, but I can't blame him completely for missing the bombs. I mean really, how much time has he had in the past few games to actually let that develope?

That said, I saw on one of the replays when he threw that zip pass to Thomas, Yoder was WIDE, WIDE, WIIIIIIIIIIDE open down the middle of the field. It would have been a sure TD. Yeah, the Thomas play worked out well, but at the sacrifice of 7.

I'm no Campbell fan, but I can't blame him completely for missing the bombs. I mean really, how much time has he had in the past few games to actually let that develope?

That said, I saw on one of the replays when he threw that zip pass to Thomas, Yoder was WIDE, WIDE, WIIIIIIIIIIDE open down the middle of the field. It would have been a sure TD. Yeah, the Thomas play worked out well, but at the sacrifice of 7.

Eh, if he has enough time to overthrow the ball, I think he has enough time to throw a strike. How many times have we seen Peyton, Brady, or even Romo throw a perfect strike right before they get killed?

lol...you said romo. the guy who is famous for choking in december.

thats just pure silliness there..

Uh, it ain't quite December, tho', Mike.

However, I must admit, the Packers did a good job harassing Romo. Their D played hard as hell and shut Romo down pretty well. Kinda makes one wonder...

I'll wait until the inevitable thread on this game to make further speculations.

all those "weapons" that romo has and he chokes just as much as Campbell.

he is NOT any better then JC is. Just because he may have a few flashes here and there doesnt discount that he still chokes when it counts the most.

I am not gonna jump on the Romo band wagon because he may be the most over rated QB in the history of the NFL, but he is better than JC! I just don't understand how you can continually defend Jason Campbell. Mike, every one has come to the conclusion that JC is at best a decent backup QB in the NFL. Why can't you see that?

And please spare me the stats!

I am not saying Romo is better than JC - in fact, I didn't make any statement on Romo's level of skill except that he has made plays under extreme pressure in the past. You can't really deny this, its facts. :)

Skins seem to play up, or down, to the level of competition. Dallas is simply a better team right now but I expect us to play well as long as we don't turn the ball over. I don't expect a victory but a good showing means we're getting better. If our offense, under the Sherms, continues to improve, we can compete with most teams. We likely won't WIN a lot of games but having a chance makes this team a LOT easier to watch.

Everyone says limit the penalties and turnovers.

Easier said than done.

Teams take penalties and suffer turnovers often because the are less talented than their opponent.

Holding, interference, etc. Come as the result of being physically beaten in your matchups.

Fumbles often come off blind side shots to the quarterback where the defender has once again simply won his matchup.

The reason you didn't see the Redskins have those issues against Denver is because on both sides of the line the team won those matchups.

That's how Betts got 114 yards on the ground.

The only area where the Redskins struggled was in coverage. Marshall physically beat Rogers for the first TD, only the second came as a result of strictly a mental error.

It will be interesting to see how the OL does in action agains the Dallas defense.

With Ware and Ratliff rushing the passer you can expect Rabach and Jones to have to hold on at least a few plays where they are beaten off the ball.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

What Does the Broncos Win Really Mean? In the overall grand scheme of things not much. Vinny and Zorn and a host of players that we all know are likely to be gone next season. Also, the comments that Sherm is a better playcaller than Zorn is pretty obvious...though that's probably not saying much.

However, the biggest thing to me is that for once in, I don't want to think about how many weeks, I actually went to sleep with half a smile on my face about this team...well, maybe "without a frown" describes it better. :cool4:

the best thing that could happen to the Redskins is seeing the Capitals win a championship and become the toast of the town while questions are then asked as to why the Redskins have been singularly unable to match that success.

right now, the Redskins get a pass to some degree because the other teams in town have been chronic losers.

just look at Boston.

The Celtics just won an NBA title.

The Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls in the past 10 years.

The Red Sox won 2 World Series in 2004 and 2007.

The Bruins have been the 'worst' team in town and they merely finished 2008 as the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

I wish we had anywhere near that kind of sustained excellence here.

See if you're still humming that tune 10 years from now if the Caps win a couple of Stanley Cups and the Redskins still haven't been back to the playoffs. Nothing is permanent - and if the Redskins take their fanbase for granted, they'll find this out the hard way.

I do agree though that it would take unprecedented, long-term, monumental failure for the Redskins to lose their status as the preeminent sports icons in DC.

I'm just saying it's not impossible. Lets hope it never comes to that. Lord - I don't think we could take another decade of this :)

Boone, I disagree also. Look at New England - Patriots won 2 superbowls in 2001 and 2003, and were well on their way to a 3rd, but that region still went totally ape**** for the Red Sox when they won the world series in 2004. Football was 2nd fiddle, and still is to this day.

DC is a Skins town - maaaaybe the Nationals or Wizards could make a run at it, but they 'd have to be very good for a very long time, I'm thinking a Celtic-like run of 7 championships in 10 years - and we're never gonna see that type of dominance again in any sport.

Just a piece of related history.

My father came to Washington in the 1950's and said until Lombardi arrived in 1969 Redskins tickets were plentiful and the team, a chronic loser since WWII, rarely played to a full house.

The truth is that while Chicago can embrace the Cubs as lovable losers, Washington fans are more fickle as a group, I find it hard to believe the team will continue to be embraced with the current ownership and front office acting as they have been.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.