• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Has the offensive line improved enough to make a difference?

RG3 Fan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Baylor
To me this is the biggest question mark going into this season. Definitely improved in receivers and still have solid runningbacks, but what about the line? Any real difference there?

More targets and quicker routes by better quality receivers should help as well.

We need big boys up front, too I agree. But griffins brace is off, the cloud over the locker room is gone, and we are looking stacked on O.

I do hope they Draft OL.

What Gruden has added looks more like a Hog lineup than what they have fielded recently so far. Still no real depth at Tackle with only Compton on the bench right now. Don't know that Mike McGlynn is an improvement over who's there on the interior. Maybe they are thinking of him as a swing guy at RT? He's about Trent's size and would fit into the bigger, beefier line they have been leaning towards.

Really wish they would have bagged de la Puente, especially considering he went for the minimum. That would have put Kory at right guard & Lauvao next to Trent.

Nothing done so far has done much to curb my concern for our OL. I just cannot understand the thinking in this organization. While there are differing factors in today's NFL, the game is still won in the trenches. Look at games like San Fran from last year...their DL abused our OL. Look at the Super Bowl Champs...it wasn't their secondary that won the game, it was their DL crushing through the Denver OL.

You can only disguise a weakness for so long, when we won the division 2 years ago, it was because we were able to disguise the weak OL with a QB and RB who were quick enough in a scheme they ran to churn off yardage and for Griffin to buy enough time for a receiver to get open.

I cannot wait to hear how the OL of the past couple of years graded out so well.

Chester and Polumbus have to go. I have a little faith that Chester will perform better in a new scheme. Polumbus? Garbage in pass pro...

DSC_3742.jpg

I always go back to that article I read about how DL are outpacing OL in terms of athleticism. The best you can hope for is an OL that's sound fundamentally, with a bit of a nasty steak (to punish the DL when they get the chance), because they are going to get beaten, regularly. IIRC, Denver's OL was pretty good all season, until the Superbowl.

For the record, TyPo is neither. Lol.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Shanahan left us with so many holes that it would have been impossible to have filled them all at this point.

If we had just focused on OL, then a thread asking if we had replaced Fletcher would have popped up. Or a thread asking about our secondary. Or a thread asking about our wide receivers.

Or a thread asking about our special teams.

IMHO, words cannot possibly describe how much he sucked.

And by the time this draft it over, our QB-conscious coach will have put together a very good O-line.

And by the time this draft it over, our QB-conscious coach will have put together a very good O-line.

How? By drafting TurnsTyler's replacement? Who is going to play Center? Kory…I weigh 50-75 pounds less than any DT/NT in the league…Lichtensteiger? A rookie draft pick? And Chester's replacement? A journeyman who didn't do much to protect Andrew Luck? Or a rookie replacement there?

How? By drafting TurnsTyler's replacement? Who is going to play Center? Kory…I weigh 50-75 pounds less than any DT/NT in the league…Lichtensteiger? A rookie draft pick? And Chester's replacement? A journeyman who didn't do much to protect Andrew Luck? Or a rookie replacement there?

it's gonna take more than a season El.

given all the holes...how does this FO build a championship team w/o busting the bank? I realize others have done it...but how does this team do it?

it's gonna take more than a season El.

given all the holes...how does this FO build a championship team w/o busting the bank? I realize others have done it...but how does this team do it?

But that's kinda my point…you say the defense should be the focus while all along I have clamored for all our limited resources be poured into improving the unit that is charged with protecting our delicate QB.

If SNF is correct, a starting RT can be found in the early third round. If so, Chester's or Licht's replacement could be found in the 2nd. The OL could theoretically be close to fixed on day two.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

But that's kinda my point…you say the defense should be the focus while all along I have clamored for all our limited resources be poured into improving the unit that is charged with protecting our delicate QB.

El...my preference is to fix the defense because I think that is the weakest unit on the team.....but I understand your concern. I agree the o-line is one big question mark. I favored secondary cuz, IMO, that unit more than any other has been torched season after season. nobody stands out as a stellar player in that unit. it's a coin toss to me. we go o-line first then by end of season/next season the offense is competitive with the best. we go defense then, maybe, we get to 15 or slightly better and can stay in games against the better teams all 4 qtrs.

either way...a couple draft picks isn't going to immediately fix anything - especially on the lines. if we draft line it will take a year or two to groom this person(s) to NFL caliber.

As long as Hazmat is running our defense it will continue to suck regardless of personnel.
We haven't signed any starting material at OL, despite its lamentable performance last year and the fragility of our franchise QB for whom we mortgaged our future. Lavao and Glennin are 2nd rate, and most of the hits RG3 took were from stunts and blitzes up the middle. As badly as we desperately need a solid ILB, if we don't grab AT LEAST one solid OL in the draft or post June 1st cuts, the collateral damage may be permanent.

El...my preference is to fix the defense because I think that is the weakest unit on the team.....but I understand your concern. I agree the o-line is one big question mark. I favored secondary cuz, IMO, that unit more than any other has been torched season after season. nobody stands out as a stellar player in that unit. it's a coin toss to me. we go o-line first then by end of season/next season the offense is competitive with the best. we go defense then, maybe, we get to 15 or slightly better and can stay in games against the better teams all 4 qtrs.

either way...a couple draft picks isn't going to immediately fix anything - especially on the lines. if we draft line it will take a year or two to groom this person(s) to NFL caliber.

But I am not talking about just the draft. There were OL in FA that were far superior than what we have at any of the positions along the line except Trent. I realize Alex Mack was out of our price range, although he didn't end up costing nearly as much as was suggested he would...nearly 20% less than what was suggested. Did you see what De La Puente signed for?

Anchor the interior of the line with either of those guys and then go with a RG or RT in the draft that could be serviceable alongside a veteran of the caliber of either of those players until their are "groomed".

The Patriots and the Broncos got torched a lot on defense last year, but they scored more points than other teams to get them to the AFC Championship.

If we do not give Robert the protection he is going to need, he is going to start trying to do it all by himself again. Nothing in his career suggests he won't. Maturity? Ha! We all see that coming from the attention whore. I see another major injury coming for the kid if he doesn't get protection. Games are won in the trenches.

But I am not talking about just the draft. There were OL in FA that were far superior than what we have at any of the positions along the line except Trent. I realize Alex Mack was out of our price range, although he didn't end up costing nearly as much as was suggested he would...nearly 20% less than what was suggested. Did you see what De La Puente signed for?

Anchor the interior of the line with either of those guys and then go with a RG or RT in the draft that could be serviceable alongside a veteran of the caliber of either of those players until their are "groomed".

The Patriots and the Broncos got torched a lot on defense last year, but they scored more points than other teams to get them to the AFC Championship.

If we do not give Robert the protection he is going to need, he is going to start trying to do it all by himself again. Nothing in his career suggests he won't. Maturity? Ha! We all see that coming from the attention whore. I see another major injury coming for the kid if he doesn't get protection. Games are won in the trenches.

all good points. can't argue with any of your reasoning. I'm where I'm at for reasons stated previously. we go o-line - you won't hear any wanking from me!

The Pats and Broncos had defenses that weren't anywhere near as sorry as ours.

ok...ok.

uncle!!!

For me the line is a work in progress,

Two seasons ago RGIII made it look better than it actualy was. Last year without his full mobility it looked awful. But then a fully fit RGIII will make any line much better.

I would like to say it will be better, but i smply do not have the knowledge to say that. I just hope it gells and it improves enough to be servicible. and give RGIII more time to hit his targets.

I have never seen Lauvao play in the NFL nor have I seen Kory play center. So, who can really handicap what the line is going to do in 2014?

The fact we cut Montgomery, signed Shawn and Mike McGlynn, and moved Kory should tell us something about what Gruden saw on tape.

Also the attention focused on trying to get Donald Penn signed to play RT.........

That tells me more changes are coming.

It also tells me that the team is not counting on LeRibeus, Gettis or Compton to contribute significantly if at all in 2014.

I have never seen Lauvao play in the NFL nor have I seen Kory play center. So, who can really handicap what the line is going to do in 2014?

The fact we cut Montgomery, signed Shawn and Mike McGlynn, and moved Kory should tell us something about what Gruden saw on tape.

Also the attention focused on trying to get Donald Penn signed to play RT.........

That tells me more changes are coming.

It also tells me that the team is not counting on LeRibeus, Gettis or Compton to contribute significantly if at all in 2014.

Yeah, I agree. I suspect there will be some salary dumping after June 1; Bowen, maybe an OL or two. Get the cap back up to about $7M or so. Depending on the draft, I definetely see the opportunity for more changes maybe a trade or something in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.