A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    I find the attack on latte-drinking people in this thread disturbing.

Deeply disturbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    I was just reminded freaking SNOOKI from JERSEY SHORE was Rutgers' commencement speaker 3 years ago

I seriously can't handle the stupidity today. I need a latte.

It isn't just lattes, but the fact that they drink them because they fit a mold...that includes the rest of the description I offered, you boobs!

Katie, it's a girl drink so enjoy it. Goal? Well...
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    She didn't back out to avoid controversy - she backed out because she felt the whole 'controversy' was going to detract from the graduates special day, and didn't want the 'uproar' over her speaking to negatively impact a day that is supposed to be about celebrating student's accomplishments. I think she made a classy decision.
    Are they not one in the same?

I am one of the biggest Condaleeza Rice fans out there. I thought she represented her positions in the White House very well. I simply think she should have stood her ground. The responsibility for any "detraction" would not be her's yet she accepted it. By Backing down, they win.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Only if you think it's some kind of a contest. It's a special day for the students involved. She saw that as the priority over some kind of philosophic win. I think that was the smart, classy decision. We can agree to disagree.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Florida State

Only if you think it's some kind of a contest. It's a special day for the students involved. She saw that as the priority over some kind of philosophic win. I think that was the smart, classy decision. We can agree to disagree.
    Contest? No...battle! There is a battle playing out here John, that's why I think her backing out is wrong. Their behavior has been reinforced. They see that causing a scene will get people to back away. At some point someone has to stand up and so no.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    The classiness of her decision aside, why does the thread title say Rutgers rescinded the invitation, when it was in fact Rice backing out?

Posted With Tapatalk
    the thread title says that precisely because that is what the faculty and some students were after - you know, one of your favorite concepts....intent! you're a scientist...right? so you understand cause-effect relationships.

have a latte lanky! kick back. enjoy the abortion clinic closings in Tx!!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Okay then.

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Contest? No...battle! There is a battle playing out here John, that's why I think her backing out is wrong. Their behavior has been reinforced. They see that causing a scene will get people to back away. At some point someone has to stand up and so no.
    There's such a thing as civility. It's not combat. That's half the problem today - every difference in view is a battle. It's what's turned government into politics. It's why deadlock is better than progress of any kind. It's what's turned limited cooperation into demonizing of your opponents.

You say her decision 'reinforced their behavior'. I say it gave them an example of what someone dedicated to public life, totally selfless, and classy does in the face of ugly intimidation and smear tactics. Again, my opinion. She's a private citizen, not the mandatory standard bearer of some imaginary engagement - she can and should do whatever she wants.
    Last edited by Boone; 05-05-14 at 07:48 PM.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    the thread title says that precisely because that is what the faculty and some students were after - you know, one of your favorite concepts....intent! you're a scientist...right? so you understand cause-effect relationships.

have a latte lanky! kick back. enjoy the abortion clinic closings in Tx!!
    You need to relax a little Al. There's no cause for the not so subtle condescension.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

roger that!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's such a thing as civility. It's not combat. That's half the problem today - every difference in view is a battle. It's what's turned government into politics. It's why deadlock is better than progress of any kind. It's what's turned limited cooperation into demonizing of your opponents.

You say her decision 'reinforced their behavior'. I say it gave them an example of what someone dedicated to public life, totally selfless, and classy does in the face of ugly intimidation and smear tactics. Again, my opinion. She's a private citizen, not the mandatory standard bearer of some imaginary engagement - she can and should do whatever she wants.
    Boone...you're taking the high road. that is a respectful and noble position.

the problem, from another point-of -view, is that if you give in often enough......one becomes a permanent victim. and that's what's been going on for the last half century or more.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Towson

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    It isn't just lattes, but the fact that they drink them because they fit a mold...that includes the rest of the description I offered, you boobs!

Katie, it's a girl drink so enjoy it. Goal? Well...
    We were joking, at least I was. I knew what you were getting at with the yuppie/hipster/liberal stereotype. Regardless, I will never apologize for my Starbucks Gold Card and the absurd amount of money I blow at coffee shops
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Towson

I agree with Condi's backing out of this engagement. I see it as a move that fits with her character of classiness and having some perspective both in the political world and real life. Is it worth it to take a stand and score political points over some kids' special day? This is a once in a lifetime moment for these kids and if I were speaking, I'd want the kids to enjoy the moment and have all the attention, not overshadow that special time with controversy over myself.

As I have said before, conservatives need to choose their "battles" wisely. Approaching every single tiny issue as an all-out take no prisoners war isn't going to get anything solved; it's the worst approach to take in conflict management and is just going to continue fueling anger. I guess I just don't understand that mentality.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Condi's backing out of this engagement. I see it as a move that fits with her character of classiness and having some perspective both in the political world and real life. Is it worth it to take a stand and score political points over some kids' special day? This is a once in a lifetime moment for these kids and if I were speaking, I'd want the kids to enjoy the moment and have all the attention, not overshadow that special time with controversy over myself.

As I have said before, conservatives need to choose their "battles" wisely. Approaching every single tiny issue as an all-out take no prisoners war isn't going to get anything solved; it's the worst approach to take in conflict management and is just going to continue fueling anger. I guess I just don't understand that mentality.
    I agree. continually rolling over until patterns become entrenched is the way to go!! withdrawing while recognizing the moment but not speaking to the corruption as well - certainly that has tremendous symbolic meaning for these sponges who are about to graduate into a no jobs world!

Liberal/Progressives know how to play the system....I'll give them that!

we are beyond the point of solving things. the terms of the negotiation have become too important to compromise.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

No, you're right, Al. The Republicans have ALWAYS taken the high road, and never been bitten in the ass for acting like children.

Way to mix things up, GOP!
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Florida State

We were joking, at least I was. I knew what you were getting at with the yuppie/hipster/liberal stereotype. Regardless, I will never apologize for my Starbucks Gold Card and the absurd amount of money I blow at coffee shops
    I knew you were joking! I guess an emitcon would have been wise.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    No, you're right, Al. The Republicans have ALWAYS taken the high road, and never been bitten in the ass for acting like children.

Way to mix things up, GOP!
    Look, you can hold onto the GOP mockery of 2006-2009 and a little more I imagine you believe, but I keep hearing this choose your battles wisely stuff and it makes me wonder what is wise. Al hit the nail on the head, there has been no compromise from the left/Obama in 5 years...none. Where is this idea coming from that it's the GOP's fault all the time? Some "moderates" need to open their eyes to what has happened over the last 5 years...I am sure it's not what they truly want...but, "it isn't the GOP so it must be good!"
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Brian, when you have time, please point out where I have said either of those things. I don't think I have, but if I am mis-remembering things, I will owe you an apology.

Plenty of us moderates have called out the stupidity of Reid and Pelosi and also castigated several of Obama's failures. I am starting to get the feeling that because we don't do things as loudly or vociferously, or with as much enthusiasm and, frankly, over-the-top hatred of the current administration that somehow it means we aren't really condemning them. Heck, T just got called an Obama Cheerleader the other day, and he has consistently called out Obama over ACA failures, Bengazi failures, etc.

Both sides suck. Ideologically, I probably line up much closer with the GOP than with the Dems; I am MUCH more disappointed with them because of their lack of leadership and other problems I have pointed out that make me an Obama Cheerleader to some. C'est la vie, I suppose. I'll just go drown my sorrows in my latte tomorrow morning.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

How much hatred is over the top James? I hate this administration. It feels like just the right amount (And of course I mean all this with tongue firmly planted in cheek - I don't truly 'hate' anyone). Obama is the do-nothing President of all time, his signature (hell, ONLY) accomplishment is destroying healthcare from the bottom up (in progress), and his cronies are interested in nothing more than demonizing 'the enemy'. I won't call myself a Republican again, for some of the reasons you probably share. But let's stop the charade that it hasn't been the Democrats driving the agenda (or should we say, lack of one) for the past 6 years. Record deficits, mind-boggling debt, record jobless rates, a laughing stock in international affairs, stifling regulatory growth, and outright abuse (probably criminal) of US citizens and opponents for political purposes.

The Republican Party may be lost, corrupt, obstructionist, and a piss poor alternative. But they haven't been running the show for the past 6 years. That's not a minor point.
    Last edited by Boone; 05-06-14 at 10:06 PM.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I find it funny when people defend their anti-GOP stance by pointing out that they talk bad about Harry Reid, so they aren't biased. Everybody hates Harry Reid, even hardcore Liberals talk bad about him. That doesn't make anyone less biased because they hate him while bashing the GOP.

The fact of the matter, is we all agree both parties are in the shitter right now. Where our opinions differ, is those of us on the right constantly say that while the GOP might be obstructing, it's on matters the majority of Americans want stopped anyway and they are trying to stop it, while the Democrats try and force the issue anyway.

It doesn't help matters that the idiot in the White House is yet again saying how he'll bypass Congress to get his way. You know, break the law since the President has no authority to enact legislation according to the Constitution - separation of powers and what not. Those of us on the right also acknowledge (for the most part) that the GOP needs to get their heads out of their asses and get with the times on certain issues, and realize some things changing are inevitable and they hurt themselves by not adapting.

Those on the left own up to nothing. They just keep repeating that the GOP is obstructionist, and lay all the blame on them, while acting oblivious to the fact they are actively damaging in a lot of ways to the country.

One party is destroying the party. One party is destroying the country. Own your failures and take responsibility for your mistakes. Saying both sides suck doesn't make you unbiased, it makes you observant.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Meh - this forum is so pointless. I really don't know why I keep it open. It just drives wedges and promotes hostility between good people. Real discussion is rare. I think I was wrong to insist we keep the PA forum. I have this silly idea that we can discuss important topics of the day without insulting each other. It's about as realistic as expecting political compromise.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide