• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Exercise 5th Year Option on Ryan Kerrigan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
May 2, 2014

REDSKINS EXERCISE FIFTH-YEAR OPTION ON RYAN KERRIGAN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have exercised their fifth-year option on the contract of linebacker Ryan Kerrigan.

Kerrigan (6-4, 260) has started all 48 of Washington’s regular season games and one postseason game since he entered the NFL as the Redskins’ first-round pick (16th overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft. In three seasons, he has compiled 184 tackles (131 solo), 24.5 sacks, 15 passes defensed, 10 fumbles forced, two interceptions (both returned for touchdowns) and one fumble recovery.

Kerrigan, who earned his first career Pro Bowl selection following the 2012 season, is one of 13 NFL players to have recorded at least 7.5 sacks in each of the last three seasons. His 24.5 career sacks rank tied for 10th in franchise history.

Kerrigan, 25, played collegiately at Purdue from 2007-10, becoming the Boilermakers’ first unanimous All-American since 1980 following his senior season in 2010. He is a native of Muncie, Ind.

I don't think long-term we can keep both OLB under the cap, it will be interesting to see who makes the case on the field to be here for the next 4-5 years.

I like the move for a number of reasons. We get him for a fair price, and it shows that the team knows his quality, and are sure they want him around. Rak is a huge question mark. If he wasn't, the team would have worked out a long term contract. Unless he lights up the stat sheet as a league leader this season, I don't see Rak here in 15. More so after him saying he needs not prove anything to anybody.

Well, of the two, Kerrigan is the one I want in B&G long term.

I also think between the two of them that Kerrigan is the one who would give us a team discount. I could be wrong but Rak seems like he is going to look for that big payday.

For Katie's sake I hope Ryan stays. She can't afford another Redskin breakup!

Like em both....but neither is a dominant player. they're both very good.

I think he deserves his pay day. I'd like to see one more year to get a true sense of a fair long term deal, but I'm happy with him.

Especially since he got his knee fixed. He played majority of last year hurt I believe - since week 2 or something?

I'd like to see him and Orakpo both be play makers for a year. If they could learn to feed off each other consistently they could make each other quite rich here in DC. And us happy!

NAILED IT......i agree 100%...keep waiting for 98 to break out with a 20 sack season .....still waiting...i do still like them both ..i guess my expectations are to high because i want a top 5 "D" so so bad

They can't negotiate a long term deal yet per the CBA. But when they can, they can renegotiate the option as part of a long term one. If not, they have just basically franchised him for his fifth year for $7M.

Question for all of you out there:
The option is guaranteed so it is treated as a signing bonus (for that fifth year in this case). Normally signing bonus money is prorated over 5 years however if the new contract includes a team option then the team gets a sixth year to include the additional guaranteed money ($7M in this case) provided that the new contract extends at least 6 years.

Question is; does this still apply to the new rookie contracts or does the new long term deal have to be done during the fourth year if it applies at all?

This can make a big difference in getting numbers under the cap.

They can't negotiate a long term deal yet per the CBA. But when they can, they can renegotiate the option as part of a long term one. If not, they have just basically franchised him for his fifth year for $7M.

Question for all of you out there:
The option is guaranteed so it is treated as a signing bonus (for that fifth year in this case). Normally signing bonus money is prorated over 5 years however if the new contract includes a team option then the team gets a sixth year to include the additional guaranteed money ($7M in this case) provided that the new contract extends at least 6 years.

Question is; does this still apply to the new rookie contracts or does the new long term deal have to be done during the fourth year if it applies at all?

This can make a big difference in getting numbers under the cap.

I believe so. The only limitation is they can't negotiate an extension until after the 4th year. Players really took it where the sun don't shine on that one, big win for the owners.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

NAILED IT......i agree 100%...keep waiting for 98 to break out with a 20 sack season .....still waiting...i do still like them both ..i guess my expectations are to high because i want a top 5 "D" so so bad

If you add together 2 "Very Goods" on both ends of the OLB position, the total equals "Dominant"

I am in the minority (at least on BGO), but I think Rak is the better player. Kerrigan is good, sometimes great, but for the most part, a complimentary player. Kerrigan isn't the type of player to take over a game, like we've seen Rak do (New Orleans, 2012). He's a motor guy, who does well when the rest of the defense does well.

Rak definitely hasn't played up to his full potential here, but I'm hoping with Haz letting him off the leash this year, he's going to break out.

Kerrigan definitely has more consistent in my eyes plus he did have that pick 6 streak.

But it's like picking your favorite kid to me. It's the one who's best at the time

I noticed the talks about Kerrigan and Orakpo are always the same. People always point out Kerrigan's consistency, and talk about Orakpo's potential. So, at what point does it become a reality that the potential is a fairytale? If you're supposedly never playing up to your potential, maybe you are just what you show on the field. Potential can't be measured, mainly because it matters for nothing when it comes down to it.

Would you rather have a solid player who is always going to perform at the same high level, or a guy that you're essentially holding out hope for because there's a possibility that maybe one day he can play better? Me personally, I prefer results. Potential means nothing. Potential doesn't win games or deserve big money and long contracts. If we lost Kerrigan, I'd be upset. If we lost Orakpo, it wouldn't bother me one bit. And I like Orakpo a lot, I just think between the two, Kerrigan is the one worth investing in, because he's consistently performed.

When potential starts putting wins in the win column, let me know.

Neither one put wins in the win column last year, so by that logic, we should let both of them walk.

View attachment Cooley on outside linebackers small.mp3
FWIW, Cooley on Kerrigan and Orakpo

The mp3 is a snippet from espn980 audio vault stuff wherein Cooley rates the current batch of Skins and how they perform based on his take and film study.

Couldn't figure out how to imbed the audio directly so the mp3 is just a file uploaded to BGO server per normal file attachement avenue.
Open, save or ignore..... your choice

I am in the minority (at least on BGO), but I think Rak is the better player. Kerrigan is good, sometimes great, but for the most part, a complimentary player. Kerrigan isn't the type of player to take over a game, like we've seen Rak do (New Orleans, 2012). He's a motor guy, who does well when the rest of the defense does well.

Rak definitely hasn't played up to his full potential here, but I'm hoping with Haz letting him off the leash this year, he's going to break out.

I would also say that you always have to account for both players on the field. Helps a little bit.
Rak had more sacks - Ryan more tackles for a loss.
Rak had 4 PDs, 1 INT for a TD. Ryan 3 PD's but also 4 forced fumbles.
BTW - those 4 PDs for Rak were more than any Skins Safety had last year. And after 8 PDs in 2012 most teams avoided throwing the ball anywhere near Ryan last season.

Coach Baker has been a guy who has developed players into pass rushers in the past (ask Jason Hatcher). He doesn't have to do that this year; he's got two guys that just need some polishing and he is focused as the Outside LB Coach (Kirk Olivadotti is back as the Inside LB guy). Rak & Ryan will both have double digit sacks this year and an improved secondary, even a minor one, will help even more.

Neither one put wins in the win column last year, so by that logic, we should let both of them walk.

I don't recall saying either one of them did. You're too quick to jump to conclusions, because you have a boner for Orakpo. I said potential doesn't win games and consistency does. Would you rather have a team full of consistent solid players, or a team full of guys who aren't living up to their potential? It doesn't matter who the player is, the answer is pretty obvious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.