A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Default Senate GOP Blocks Minimum Wage Increase

The reaction by the left? Well, let's just see how amusing they made this.....

In a news conference following the vote, top Democrats vowed to reintroduce the bill this year.
    Interesting. They lambaste the GOP constantly when they employ this tactic. They say if it's not passed, let it go and move on. I guess practicing what you preach is out of the question?

the bill is part of the Democrats' broader “Fair Shot for All” midterm campaign, so they are likely to continue to push the minimum wage through the fall despite the vote, banking on its popularity among voters to lift their prospects. Democrats are arguing that they are the party looking out for average Americans while Republicans are the party of special interests.
    Since when do they do things based on popularity among voters? How are they looking out for average Americans? By forcing them to buy things and fining them if they don't? By taxing things out of the affordable range? By forcing jobs overseas with the high corporate tax? By making people dependent on government programs? How, exactly, are they looking out for the average American?

“By preventing even a vote on this bill they prevented a raise for 28 million hardworking Americans. They said no to helping millions work their way out of poverty,” President Obama said during a news conference this afternoon.
    You know another way you can force people out of poverty? By helping them find work instead of endlessly extending paychecks for not working. By passing ACA, the Democrats screwed up insurance, medical care, etc. for more than 28 million hardworking Americans. I guess ****ing the people is only ok when you're the one doing it, huh Barry?

“They told Americans like the ones who are here today that: you’re on your own.”
    Oh, kinda like you did to our guys in Benghazi? At least the unskilled folks not getting a wage increase are still alive and have the opportunity to make a better life for themselves.

The Democrats have also been pushing popular bills that would extend emergency unemployment insurance
    Of course they are. It's all about buying votes from the lazy, unskilled and uninformed. How about they use some of that free money to buy those ID cards to vote that they claim they can't afford? Oh, I forgot, it's because it isn't to prevent fraud, it's because it's just a racist poll tax.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said the vote was evidence of the "Republican disregard for the working people of our nation,"
    Maybe they just wanted to read it before they passed it?

"The senators who voted "no" today are doing so contrary to the wishes of the American people,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters Wednesday.
    Apparently, only Democrats qualify as the American people.

sizeable majorities of independents (62 percent) and Democrats (86 percent) supported a wage hike, while 54 percent of Republicans opposed the idea.
    See, supporting evidence.

While not among Americans’ top priorities for Obama and Congress, Democrats’ could benefit from an higher profile battle over the minimum wage as the midterm election approaches.
    Of course. It's the Democrat credo. Create a distraction, rile people up through falsifications and attack ads, pull in dumbasses by the truckload for votes.

Republicans insisted that raising the federal minimum wage would hurt businesses and would not be a substantive step to addressing poverty.
    The Republicans are right. It baffles me that so many people are so clueless that they don't realize that when wages go up, so do the cost of goods and services. Yes, you have more money, no it's not worth more. Increasing minimum wage has zero effect on preventing or reducing poverty, because the value of the dollar in comparison to the cost of goods and services remains unchanged.

“If our purpose is to increase the wages of all Americans, I believe there are better ways to accomplish this goal,” said Sen. Dan Coats (R-Ind.), the senior Republican on the Joint Economic Committee, in a statement after the vote. “Raising the minimum wage creates winners and losers -- it will raise the wages of some but result in job losses for many low-income workers. The true problem plaguing impoverished Americans is not low wage rates but a lack of good job opportunities.”
    Look, the only intelligent thing in the entire article was buried at the bottom where most people won't see it.

While Democrats vow to continue fighting in favor of the minimum wage and paycheck fairness legislation, they also acknowledge that their inability to get these measures passed into law could help them in 2014. Essentially, they could win by losing. Much of the Democrats 2014 strategy rests on their ability to paint Republicans as out of touch with everyday Americans. By introducing a series of bills that are popular with Americans but that end up being blocked by Republicans, the Democrats hope to mobilize their voter base in advance of November elections in which the desperately need strong turnout among their base if they want to retain control of the Senate.
    See, create a distraction, attack attack attack. No substance, just rhetoric. Good luck lefties, people are on to you this time around. You don't have a chance in hell.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Good for the GOP. I support this move.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Me too. They get what this means economically, and the left is trying to spin it to mean they hate poor people. The funny irony of it all is that had they approved it like the Democrats wanted, it would have even more of a negative effect on poor people than not changing it.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

$10.10 an hour...good gosh!

that is going to make me look at my boss and say "I am only worth X amount more than this guy?" or him go "why pay you X when I can pay him 10.10 and get 2 of you for way less!"
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

This is where I really, really hate the democratic party's platform.

Give a poor person 1 million dollars - let me know how long they stay out of poverty. We have proof of people winning lotteries worth much more and still finding their way back into poverty.

The problem is not what people are being paid for minimum wage jobs. The problem is that there's too large of a group of people that can't seem to find their way out of minimum wage jobs.

The solution is not to raise minimum wage, the solution is to find the barriers that keep these people from getting out of minimum wage jobs and removing those barriers.

Off the top of my head education would seem like the best place to start first.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

also, to all the poor people working for minimum wage, the rest of the country has had their wages stagnate just like yours. the whole middle class is seeing their wages stay roughly the same.

you're not special. you don't deserve to have your wages magically doubled just because.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

You're right. Instead of bumping up minimum wage, or giving handouts with no cap, I think a better idea would be to provide these people in poverty with training for technical degrees with a career path toward manufacturing jobs. That's an expenditure I could get behind. It would boost the economy, people would be filling jobs in desperate need to be filled, and people would learn to work their way out of poverty and have some damn pride in themselves instead of being 3rd or 4th generation system suckers.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

And it's the type of expense that theoretically should provide a long term payoff by reducing poverty.

I'm convinced 5 random normal people could come up with better solutions than our politicians at this time. I don't get why this is so damn hard. Very frustrating.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

The company I work for is one of the largest beer and wine distributors on the east coast. It's mainly due to the fact that the guy running the show for the 23 years the company has existed, was smart enough to go after all of the import and craft beers instead of domestics, and he secured rights to just about every wine you've ever heard of from $9 a bottle up to $99 a bottle, and every imported liquor the local ABC stores carry.

He has a problem though - he doesn't seem to like paying people what the work is worth until they climb the ladder into a supervisory role. We have a fleet of almost 4 dozen drivers that were only getting paid commission. If things were broke, which was almost always due to careless idiots in the warehouse who apparently just throw the shit in any old way, they lose money from it. For the past few months, they have been threatening a walkout if they weren't given a salary on top of their commission. I agreed with their reasoning - they had the hardest job, because they have to unload about 1,000 cases every day by hand and work 60 hours a week. They have received the same pay for 7 years. The boss man tried to call their bluff, and today 11 of them quit. 7 more that I know personally said if that didn't send a message, they're quitting tomorrow.

Now there's a push among the merchandisers to stand together and make demands for higher pay with the same threat. To that, I said shiiiiiiiiiit. I love my job, I need my job, and I'm busting my ass to get promoted in record time, where my salary will instantly more than double. No way in hell I'm quitting or threatening to. People are nuts. I get their point, but it's too hard to find work to be doing stupid shit.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there are other interesting things going on. several states and municipalities have moved ahead and approved min wage increases. Washington and Seattle in particular. Can't recall the exact details but I believe Seattle is moving to a $15 min tgt w/i 3-7 years with annual 2.4% increases after that. That city is going to become a very expensive place to live!

As with gay marriage....I support the local quality of the decision-making. These are the sorts of matters the 10th Amendment covers. Self-determination by the local community of issues not specifically identified in the Constitution. not the cultural imperialism of Elitists who live in and around 495.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

How about working on strengthening the dollar so your purchasing power is back to either Pre-Obama or Pre-Democrat controlled of both houses? Forcing a minimum wage on small family business is potentially a very bad move for employees.

I see places like McDonald's replacing some workers with automation as you see in some grocery stores. How hard would it be to have a self service line where you use a touch screen to place an order?
    0 0 0 0

Never Get into a Fight with an Ugly Person. They Have nothing to lose. :)

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobody...it gets even better!

Listened to Sen Coburn over the weekend. Apparently initial planning is in the works for a massive healthcare bailout after the election..possibly early next year.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NavyDave....factor substitution for labor is a fact of life right now...across the board. lotta technology taking over for people.

where things are going South are tax policies and regulatory uncertainties that drive companies to park capital over-seas.

Podesta says admin is going to implement global warming policies through EPA edicts...side-stepping Congress.
    0 0 0 0