A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nevermind. This topic doesn't deserve as much attention as I've already given it.
    0 0 0 0

Resident Caps Fan
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

So, was the entire point of posting this article to point out some massive, left-wing hypocrisy? Or are you legitimately offended by "under Allah" in the pledge of allegiance?

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Sometimes people make a big deal out of nothing and this is one of those times. The left and right both do it and today it's the right.
    no.....you are saying it's not a big deal because YOU don't see it that way. that's precisely one point I'm making. and it's precisely the problem with all the "someone is offended" BS that is selectively applied to shut people up and steer folks toward conformity. that is an idea (call it a tactic if you like) that applies to many people - not just you.

and it is important - if some parents feel that a school has no business inculcating particular values...that is a big deal...whether other folks think that trivial or not. that is our society these days. otherwise, please just admit what is in play: it's ok to shut down certain groups, certain ideas...if the arbiters of truth decide the motives and/or intent isn't palatable. but it's ok to ignore motives/intent when those same arbiters agree!!!

I think that's just grand!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    So, was the entire point of posting this article to point out some massive, left-wing hypocrisy? Or are you legitimately offended by "under Allah" in the pledge of allegiance?

Posted With Tapatalk
    try to follow the argument Lanky. it's something close to your heart afterall!!!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

Im just over here now like this

0 0 0 0

Resident Caps Fan
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

It was a fairly simple question, without bias or opinion attached. Shrug.

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes..it was a simple question at that!
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    It's not about what I favor. It's about not condoning hate based on ignorance.
    Who has done this?
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Who has done this?
    The people who seem to have no issues with it being sung in any other language until it's sung in arabic.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    no.....you are saying it's not a big deal because YOU don't see it that way. that's precisely one point I'm making.
    Yeah. I'm saying I don't think it's a big deal because ... I don't think it's a big deal. Not sure that point REALLY needed to be made.

If you think it's somehow telling that I'm not the arbiter of Absolute Truth or something, fine. I concede the point. I am offering an opinion, just like everyone else here. This is a stupid thing to give a damn about.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Yeah. I'm saying I don't think it's a big deal because ... I don't think it's a big deal. Not sure that point REALLY needed to be made.

If you think it's somehow telling that I'm not the arbiter of Absolute Truth or something, fine. I concede the point. I am offering an opinion, just like everyone else here. This is a stupid thing to give a damn about.
    if you say so! what you don't care about and the emotion you assign that feeling is your business! so...we're back to an instance again and not the higher principle. fine by me! I dutifully accept the idea that all values are situationally dependent, subject to the whims of the person delivering the "opinion". I will keep that in mind next time some jacksaw (not you Henry), attempting to establish their bona fides as a caring/empathetic person, lectures the rest us on how we should be attentive and conformist when ideas/monikers/actions "offensive" to others should be (normative statement) socially reprimanded if not outright punished (financially, socially, reputation, etc.).
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Florida State

The people who seem to have no issues with it being sung in any other language until it's sung in arabic.
    So, where does the ignorance come in for someone who studied the culture long enough to realize what some can't see...this is just the beginning.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

So, where does the ignorance come in for someone who studied the culture long enough to realize what some can't see...this is just the beginning.
    Well that wouldn't be ignorance.

In fact, comparatively it would be my opinion that is ignorant.

I don't know you well enough to know what drives your thoughts on it.

Edit: I take that back, kind of. It could very well still be ignorance, but I certainly am not educated enough on the topic to be able to determine that.
    Last edited by tshile; 05-05-14 at 07:52 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Resident Caps Fan
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Nevermind.................
    Last edited by Lanky Livingston; 05-05-14 at 08:43 PM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

El...you know the dynamic: if it isn't posted on some left-wing blog it isn't truth!

get on board man! the rule of the day is situational ethics! learn to love and understand without reservation. you too..can be a good person. really!!!!

afterall...what could be more meaningful than a morning bcast over the school PA system! Speaking of "stupid" intentions pursuing idiotic means. but..it is in keeping with practices popular in the last century!!!
    Last edited by fansince62; 05-05-14 at 08:44 PM.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Florida State

Well that wouldn't be ignorance.

In fact, comparatively it would be my opinion that is ignorant.

I don't know you well enough to know what drives your thoughts on it.

Edit: I take that back, kind of. It could very well still be ignorance, but I certainly am not educated enough on the topic to be able to determine that.
    t-, I appreciate the sentiment in this post.

Short synopsis of my experience. I went into studying Islam/Middle eastern Studies with a very broad, open-minded view. It was after studying the culture that I redeveloped this mistrust I have...an informed perspective. This was long after my "redneck ignorance" after 9/11 had subsided and I'd met a few good Muslims.

I still personally know Muslims, one with whom I do trust...a lot. The man is genuine and good. But I tell you, without hesitation, the goal of Islam is to become the one true religion in the world. Does that mean "world domination" in the Dr. Evil sense...no! It means that laws and governance are to be melded to abide by Laws set forth by Sharia and the Qu'ran. Trust me...this is the truth. And Islam and the US Constitution cannot co-exist. Their philosophies are counter-intuitive.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

t-, I appreciate the sentiment in this post.

Short synopsis of my experience. I went into studying Islam/Middle eastern Studies with a very broad, open-minded view. It was after studying the culture that I redeveloped this mistrust I have...an informed perspective. This was long after my "redneck ignorance" after 9/11 had subsided and I'd met a few good Muslims.

I still personally know Muslims, one with whom I do trust...a lot. The man is genuine and good. But I tell you, without hesitation, the goal of Islam is to become the one true religion in the world. Does that mean "world domination" in the Dr. Evil sense...no! It means that laws and governance are to be melded to abide by Laws set forth by Sharia and the Qu'ran. Trust me...this is the truth. And Islam and the US Constitution cannot co-exist. Their philosophies are counter-intuitive.
    I'm super stressed out right now. I'll give you an actual response sometime.
    0 0 0 0