A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Florida State

Somewhere in hell, while he burns...Bin Laden had a brief moment of respite when he got the news of this story.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

To hell in a handbag.

A little at a time.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Al, can you put the freaking article headline in your thread title? I know this isn't the first time you've been asked.

As to the article itself, it reads like xenophobic hysteria. Some kids wanted to try saying the pledge in another language. Big deal. 'Allah' means 'God' in Arabic. It would have been 'Dios' in Spanish. Saying it wouldn't have made it a sign that we are suddenly all going to become Catholics.

My response to whomever wrote that article? Lighten up, Francis.
    Last edited by Henry; 05-01-14 at 09:33 AM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Default They're Smokin Too Much Pot in CO

I pretty much read it the same as Henry. This is the kind of incident typically seized on by Fox News and other conservative web media outlets as some sort of sign of the impending apocalypse. The idea of reading the pledge in Arabic is sort of silly and probably tone deaf in terms of how it will be received, but it's not much more than that IMHO. The handwringing on the left over their perceived 'outrages (such as 'racist' NFL team monikers for example) is equally silly. Because, you know, America doesn't have any real problems to focus on...
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I agree with both of you, but would like to add fansince62 is probably right... they probably are smoking too much pot out there
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Or not enough...
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok...I must explain. this is symptomatic of the stupid sort of relativism that is the cover for so much idiotic policy these days. opening the aperture further - another example of a school system focusing on everything but what counts - producing students who can actually add, subtract, structure a coherent thought, etc, etc. It's just more value-laden brain-washing of tiny minds in the formative stages.........which leads...inevitably....to the wonders of our current political environment!!!

it allows rectal orifices like Harry Reid to drone on about the Redskins team name....while ignoring Benghazi, Fast & Furious, etc. It allows this pillar of virtue to weigh in on the Sterlings of the world.....but completely ignore the Rangles (tax cheat), Sharptons (snitch, tax cheat, racist) and on and on.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Al, I guarantee you that the collective conservative head-exploding across the nation at the mere utterance of the word 'Allah' is FAR more of a distraction to these kids than some club who periodically leads the Pledge in different languages picking Arabic this one time. You want kids in this country to stay focused on their studies? This crap has to stop. Seriously.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Towson

Hey, at least they didn't pledge to Yeezus.

Seriously though, read through the article, looks like this was a student-led initiative and last year they pledged allegiance in Spanish. Relax, they're pledging allegiance to our country under "God" in Arabic.

While I would much prefer the pledge of allegiance to be traditional, I do embrace the notion of recognizing and including different cultures. Maybe someday it will lead to a higher percentage of the American population not going ape every time they hear the word "Allah" and jump to the conclusion that it is some conspiracy against us and instead, take it at face value: a high school "cultural" club trying to get their peers to embrace different cultures.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

reminds me of when people got really made about this
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Hey, at least they didn't pledge to Yeezus.

Seriously though, read through the article, looks like this was a student-led initiative and last year they pledged allegiance in Spanish. Relax, they're pledging allegiance to our country under "God" in Arabic.

While I would much prefer the pledge of allegiance to be traditional, I do embrace the notion of recognizing and including different cultures. Maybe someday it will lead to a higher percentage of the American population not going ape every time they hear the word "Allah" and jump to the conclusion that it is some conspiracy against us and instead, take it at face value: a high school "cultural" club trying to get their peers to embrace different cultures.
    maybe they won't even react if they hear "Allah Akbar"!!!

because embracing other cultures is just so important! rather than defining individual standards and values that guide our decisions! we need to be coached! we need to think in terms of groups and group identities! makes it easier to dedicate a month to each group I guess for awareness training!

not directed at you or anyone else: but this whole group awareness need is a crock. I establish my standards and values as an individual. I treat other individuals accordingly with the mutual respect that set of standards takes me to. Group identity is precisely one of the problems plaguing America. It's a separator...not a unifier. If I expect integrity in myself, then the people I associate with...call friends....manifest the same attributes...regardless of color, religion, political belief, etc., etc.
    Last edited by fansince62; 05-02-14 at 12:15 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

It sounds like a bunch of punk ass kids trying to be funny and shocking instead of respectful and sincere.

It's the age and times. Personally, my son has been taught to show respect and never to even speak during it.

I do have a problem with an American anthem being sung in other languages but I get the sentiment behind it so I'll wait to comment further
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mike, I don't think they were trying to be funny or disrespectful at all. It's just some dopey club that explores other cultures or something, and they got permission to lead the pledge in another language once in awhile. They just happened, this time, to go with Arabic.

This is just PC backlash from the other direction. And it's just as eye-roll worthy.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

Well, rolling your eyes won't help solve the issue. True, some people are just looking to be offended but I'm not going to dismiss it just because I don't agree.

using the word Allah is going to always perk ears up and cause some to bristle. It's just the case after 9/11. My own brother is Muslim and tells me all the time about stories people say around him because they don't realize he is. Education and patience is the answer.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Towson

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    maybe they won't even react if they hear "Allah Akbar"!!!

because embracing other cultures is just so important! rather than defining individual standards and values that guide our decisions! we need to be coached! we need to think in terms of groups and group identities! makes it easier to dedicate a month to each group I guess for awareness training!

not directed at you or anyone else: but this whole group awareness need is a crock. I establish my standards and values as an individual. I treat other individuals accordingly with the mutual respect that set of standards takes me to. Group identity is precisely one of the problems plaguing America. It's a separator...not a unifier. If I expect integrity in myself, then the people I associate with...call friends....manifest the same attributes...regardless of color, religion, political belief, etc., etc.
    Huh? Where did it jump to "Allah Akbar?" To jump from kids saying the Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic to them yelling Allah Akbar goes completely contrary to the message you are trying to get across in your last paragraph.

It's crap like this that really frustrates me with the Republican party and why I don't want to associate myself with it for the most part. Conservative blogs, many people on Fox News, etc. hone in on stupid crap like this and make those of us who actually do believe in many of the core conservatie values look like a bunch of lunatics. Pick your battles wisely Republicans, or else all these fringe stories and outrages over HIGH SCHOOL KIDS will make people think we're a bunch of xenophobic crazy asses and laugh at us when we do get an issue right.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Huh? Where did it jump to "Allah Akbar?" To jump from kids saying the Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic to them yelling Allah Akbar goes completely contrary to the message you are trying to get across in your last paragraph.

It's crap like this that really frustrates me with the Republican party and why I don't want to associate myself with it for the most part. Conservative blogs, many people on Fox News, etc. hone in on stupid crap like this and make those of us who actually do believe in many of the core conservatie values look like a bunch of lunatics. Pick your battles wisely Republicans, or else all these fringe stories and outrages over HIGH SCHOOL KIDS will make people think we're a bunch of xenophobic crazy asses and laugh at us when we do get an issue right.
    1) You are, as always, entitled to your opinion.

2) You missed my point. You blithely assumed that uttering Allah was an innocuous event. I was merely adding in that this was..at best...an over-simplification...since context matters. hence, Allah Akbar. Mike got it.

3) With all due respect...since YOU elected to march off on a tangent about Republicans...I could care less about that.

But..since you set the stage... :-)

The whole group identity meme is the "stupid crap" that is dragging society down. Aside from the fact that is is generally sophomoric in its application, its core logic is to differentiate and separate people. And that's exactly how it is being used. I could give two shakes about whether some folks feel better about themselves because some mis-guided adult attempting to shape values without parental approval allows then to twist a traditional pledge into something that has no historical or substantive basis - other than the mindblowingly shallow rationale that it promotes understanding and bon homeyism among GROUP identities. It''s not about conservative values - nice try. It's a bout the ankle deep stupidity of looking at the world through a group lens - you know...the same thing Sterling was busted for the other day....profiling.....etc...etc.

LMAO of on this one. the very same folks will rush to the alter of Redskins is racist...as has happened on this board....by claiming that all it takes is for some folks to perceive the term as offensive. but the idea that substituting Allah for God (understood in its historical context)...why that's just grand! who cares if anyone finds it offensive. why? why BECAUSE IT FITS THE INTENT AND MESSAGE THAT THESE PEOPLE APPROVE.

the whole dynamic is one fetid pile of manure. one parent or student complains about ANY Christian Christmas ornament? boom! it's gone. but voice some objections to Allah? why...how dare they get in the way of brotherhood and true love/understanding of our fellow groups! nope...all too obvious how this game is being played.
    Last edited by fansince62; 05-02-14 at 03:37 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Towson

Well, at least someone "got it" because I sure as hell still don't

My overall message is that the Republicans are taking idiotic stories and making big deals out of them. For example, the website you used to source this "story." It's an wildly biased (i.e. CRAP i.e. KOOLAID) website that publishes fringe stories to rile people up and pit them against each other. And unfortunately, it is the fringe elements (on both sides) given voice in our media, be it through social, mainstream, conservative, blogs, hell, be it Jay Carney in his stupid daily press briefings where he snipes at reporters who he views as "against the Obama administration," etc. that are creating an increasingly divisive atmosphere in our country. It's really quite sad. So yeah, I agree with you, at this point, our country is going down the crapper; I simply don't agree with your exact reasoning of why that is.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont get it?

Is it wrong to say the pledge in a foreign language?
    0 0 0 0

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

that is a real slippery slope. It was originally written in English for English settlers so that is one way I believe that it should be. Our adopted language has always been English so yes again. You are also saying a pledge to this country so I believe that you should say it in its original language and how it was meant.

But America is a melting pot. There are many different ethnic groups here and as long as they are pledging allegiance to THIS country they should be able to do it in whatever language feels the most comfortable to them.

I am VERY conflicted here. I can't stand when people are in the workplace speaking languages that not everyone can understand. But I also know that they should be able to...
    0 0 0 0