A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    that is a real slippery slope. It was originally written in English for English settlers so that is one way I believe that it should be. Our adopted language has always been English so yes again. You are also saying a pledge to this country so I believe that you should say it in its original language and how it was meant.

But America is a melting pot. There are many different ethnic groups here and as long as they are pledging allegiance to THIS country they should be able to do it in whatever language feels the most comfortable to them.

I am VERY conflicted here. I can't stand when people are in the workplace speaking languages that not everyone can understand. But I also know that they should be able to...

I kind of agree that I prefer to see English honored as our language and all who live here should try to use it. I also dont think its a big deal if an immigrant needs to use their native language for stuff while they learn English though.

To me, the whole topic kind seemed like a much ado about nothing thing
    0 0 0 0

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Al, I guarantee you that the collective conservative head-exploding across the nation at the mere utterance of the word 'Allah' is FAR more of a distraction to these kids than some club who periodically leads the Pledge in different languages picking Arabic this one time. You want kids in this country to stay focused on their studies? This crap has to stop. Seriously.
    I certainly agree H!!!! though I seem to recall the core issue was about identity politics.

And I agree with the implicit assumption that every student in that backward school system will benefit immensely from hearing the pledge in Arabic! why, I'm willing to bet it not only inspired a few to pursue a language not offered in the curriculum......but that it prompted at least one student to visit the nearest mosque to reassure those attending that he/she was open-minded, loved all Muslims and felt really bad that 9/11, beheadings in London, murders of cartoonists in the Netherlands and decades of suicide bombings and genocide were giving a decent and peaceful religion an undeserved reputation! why, I bet some them may be inspired to pilgrimage to Fort Hood and protest that what transpired there was a crime and not terrorism!!! I'm gonna write these people and recommend they play the famous Coca Cola theme song next time a group love message is broadcast....give it the full Hollywood touch!!! They could have Twin Towers survivors standing on a surrounding Pikes Peak colline holding hands singing! Perhaps Sean Penn could do a cameo speaking about non-violence and love of fellow man!

Can't we all just get along?
    Last edited by fansince62; 05-02-14 at 06:04 PM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    that is a real slippery slope. It was originally written in English for English settlers so that is one way I believe that it should be. Our adopted language has always been English so yes again. You are also saying a pledge to this country so I believe that you should say it in its original language and how it was meant.

But America is a melting pot. There are many different ethnic groups here and as long as they are pledging allegiance to THIS country they should be able to do it in whatever language feels the most comfortable to them.

I am VERY conflicted here. I can't stand when people are in the workplace speaking languages that not everyone can understand. But I also know that they should be able to...
    Mike...you're spot on about the melting pot.

The whole thing about identity politics, however, is completely opposed to that.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    I certainly agree H!!!! though I seem to recall the core issue was about identity politics.

And I agree with the implicit assumption that every student in that backward school system will benefit immensely from hearing the pledge in Arabic! why, I'm willing to bet it not only inspired a few to pursue a language not offered in the curriculum......but that it prompted at least one student to visit the nearest mosque to reassure those attending that he/she was open-minded, loved all Muslims and felt really bad that 9/11, beheadings in London, murders of cartoonists in the Netherlands and decades of suicide bombings and genocide were giving a decent and peaceful religion an undeserved reputation! why, I bet some them may be inspired to pilgrimage to Fort Hood and protest that what transpired there was a crime and not terrorism!!! I'm gonna write these people and recommend they play the famous Coca Cola theme song next time a group love message is broadcast....give it the full Hollywood touch!!! They could have Twin Towers survivors standing on a surrounding Pikes Peak colline holding hands singing! Perhaps Sean Penn could do a cameo speaking about non-violence and love of fellow man!

Can't we all just get along?
    Okay Elaine, haven't we talked already about all those exclamation marks? And Al, dripping sarcasm is not all that attractive on you. We're talking about some young kids and a 3 minute pledge in school, not Al Qaeda. For Allah's sake.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Okay Elaine, haven't we talked already about all those exclamation marks? And Al, dripping sarcasm is not all that attractive on you. We're talking about some young kids and a 3 minute pledge in school, not Al Qaeda. For Allah's sake.
    But he has a legitimate point and that is the same message I have been saying about Islam for years now. The indifference of too many Americans is exactly what they want. This is playing out almost exactly as Bin Laden hoped. 9/11 shook the foundation, we took the war to them, we grew weary as they continued to battle, we lost interest, and they keep on in any way they can.

They are in this for the long haul...it goes much further than a simple Pledge, they are in it for the same end game I have been discussing for 5 years on this site...Islam as the one true religion. And to them, if it takes a couple hundred years, they are fine with it.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Whatever point he has - it has no logical connection to what some kids did at school though Brian. And I think what some of us are implying is that trying to turn little events like this into some kind of 'aha!' moment doesn't lend credibility to whatever real issues exist. This is Fox News level stuff. Just my opinion.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Resident Caps Fan
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    But he has a legitimate point and that is the same message I have been saying about Islam for years now. The indifference of too many Americans is exactly what they want. This is playing out almost exactly as Bin Laden hoped. 9/11 shook the foundation, we took the war to them, we grew weary as they continued to battle, we lost interest, and they keep on in any way they can.

They are in this for the long haul...it goes much further than a simple Pledge, they are in it for the same end game I have been discussing for 5 years on this site...Islam as the one true religion. And to them, if it takes a couple hundred years, they are fine with it.

You are confusing 'Al Qaeda' and 'Islam' again. The "They" in your sentence is a very important distinction.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In 2001, Muslims accounted for .5% of the US population. Today, 14 years later, they account for .6%.

If that rate on increase holds up, Muslims will be as influential in this country as Christians currently are in about, oh, ten thousand years. Of course, now that one school said 'Allah' instead of 'God' during one pledge of allegiance out of about 180, I'll be happy to round that down to 9999 years. And a couple months.

Frankly, if they really are trying to take over the country, they suck at it.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

So are you saying that Al Queda is behind this "push" to have kids speak the Pledge in Arabic?
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    In 2001, Muslims accounted for .5% of the US population. Today, 14 years later, they account for .6%.

If that rate on increase holds up, Muslims will be as influential in this country as Christians currently are in about, oh, ten thousand years. Of course, now that one school said 'Allah' instead of 'God' during one pledge of allegiance out of about 180, I'll be happy to round that down to 9999 years. And a couple months.

Frankly, if they really are trying to take over the country, they suck at it.
    They already are influential in this country! Just take a drive through places in Michigan where there are street signs in Arabic!

Your indifference is exactly what I am talking about!

And Lanky, I don't tell try to teach you about the Ocean...don't suggest I am confusing anything...you're ignorance is something else they count on.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    So are you saying that Al Queda is behind this "push" to have kids speak the Pledge in Arabic?
    Again, ignorance and indifference are the same to them. In our lifetime, we will not see it here as widespread as they have in places like Great Britain, Belgium, Germany...read up on the 4% rule.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

So is that a yes?
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Resident Caps Fan
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

And Lanky, I don't tell try to teach you about the Ocean...don't suggest I am confusing anything...you're ignorance is something else they count on.
    What ignorance is that, El?

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Boone:

1) I didn't lead with vulgar language that...ironically enough...was supposed to support recognition of a group...by denigrating other groups!

2) The key idea I was addressing was the notion of group identity. others avoided this substantive issue, for understandable reasons, and focused exclusively on what they considered a harmless event. Hence, shift from principle to instance. the various responses then followed the normal course of wandering over many separate ideas. I saw this and introduced some of my own - including hypocrisy when it comes to Christianity in public environments - also known as principle conflict (being charitable). It is curious..there are obviously some who believe that identity politics is perfectly suitable for sanctioned use in the public school system....when it suits their purposes. it all, apparently, turns on "intent". and that is a dangerous place to be...especially with children. Which is more elevated of the following: "Treat all people with respect"...or....."Treat all Islamic people with respect"? Once we start breaking out groups..it inherently separates and excludes.

3) The estimable Henry elected to insert some sarcasm...so I met his 50 cents and raised him a dollar.

4) In a separate thread, perhaps, it is very viable to discuss what some are trying to push: that the Islamic and Terrorist Venn diagrams do not intersect.

Group identity is making America a sick place. It's a key divider...and it it isn't even used consistently. Its a battering tool to force conformity.

I do like your last sentence! in context...it's pretty damn funny!
    Last edited by fansince62; 05-02-14 at 09:53 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

I just think this particular thread is beneath your intelligence level, that's all.
    0 0 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

fansince62 - i'm with you 100% on the group identity. i think you're spot on in what it is and what it does. i don't take it to the ends you do, and i think it's more of a function of the time we're in as opposed to a spot on the side of the road to where you seem to think we're headed.

i think our society, the US society, is young compared to the rest of the world. really young. and 50 years ago we were segregating people. and not too much longer we actually had internment camps for asians because we were at war with japan. and not to terribly long ago, in the grand scheme of things, we had slaves.

so to me, this is part of all of that. people are demanding equality while simultaneously making it clear that they are 'them' and we are not. it's done differently by all groups but it's done and i think most people recognize it. i can understand why. i can see that it's not the preferred situation for everyone involved, it'd be a much better country if we could all honestly not let race matter to anyone in any way (excuse of cultural appreciation included), but we're not there yet and i'm ok with that.

that seems normal and i think the end game is us moving past that; that this is a phase. that it's unfortunate in some regards that we don't get to live in the better phase down the road, but it is what it is.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Meh. I see plenty of group identity from both sides. To those of you who think Christians get the short end of the cultural stick these days, I can only smile and shake my head. When a keynote speaker at several CPAC conferences states Jews need to be perfected by becoming Christians, no one on her side of the aisle bats an eye. A couple kids say the pledge in Arabic and its a sign that the foundations of Western society are starting to crumble. Never mind that there are 150 Christians for every one Muslim or two Jews in this country.

Christians run this country. They always have. They always will. I'm not even one and I can see it. And so far its been great. But it wouldn't suck if some of you guys loosened up once in awhile.

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

because you are Jewish you see things from what you have lived and witnessed all your life. The same goes with Christians, muslims, hindus, buddhists, etc. It depends on what you were exposed to the most.

Christians dont "run" anything. People who run things may be Christian but it is almost impossible to implement your religious beliefs in to any company you work or run. You can be sued if you dont allow a Muslim to pray a certain amount of time, you can be sued if you dont provide a woman a place to breastfeed.

No religious entity runs anything anymore than you can say that Jews run Hollywood. Sure, it sounds good and right because people have said it enough, but its not. Its people. That's all.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My point exactly, Mike. Exactly.

Muslims aren't going to "control" anything in this country. That's not how this country is wired. A couple street signs and the utterance of the word 'Allah' won't change that. Even slightly.

Don't take what I posted as anything against 'Christians.' That wasn't my point at all. Just trying to shift perspective for a moment.

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

Im not taking anything you said personally, believe it or not lol

But, you said "Christians run this country" and they don't run it any more than anyone else. Perhaps it is because I saw you make such a definitive statement that I decided to speak my side. But the great thing about this country is that you can be from anywhere and own a business, land, and thrive without having to worry about a certain sect being able to take it from you based upon it.

unless you buy in a HOA. then you are just ****ing yourself anyways.
    0 0 0 0