• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Desean Jackson in Burgundy and Gold?

Should the Redskins Sign WR Desean Jackson?

• Yes - the Redskins badly need a starter opposite Garcon!

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes - but only if the contract strongly favors the Redskins.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • No - he's not the kind of player this team needs.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • I would prefer not, but will take a wait-and-see attitude and hope Gruden can 'coach him up'.

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His game is very similar to Moss, as are his numbers. You didn't directly say Jackson sucks - but you implied it. I was just pointing out that his stats mirror Moss' closely.

What does what Jackson 'believes' have to do with anything? He's either very talented, or he's not. You said he isn't. I think you're wrong and I think the stats clearly show he is a very productive and talented WR. You're changing the argument now - relative to what kind of money we would pay him.

On our other point, I don't think he'd be coming here as #1, whether he wants to delude himself into believing that's the case or not.

I do agree with you on one point - the guy appears to be dumber than a bag of hammers.

And to be fair, I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you - as I don't want the guy in B&G! :) I guess I'm trying to reconcile the distinct possibility that it may happen whether I like it or not...

Last edited:
Wow, I guess it's a good thing last year was the only year he play.......oh, wait.

Now, out of fairness, why don't we look at his career averages without his abnormal career year included?

55 Rec (which would have been good enough for 59th last season - behind 19 guys who aren't even receivers)
957 Yds (which would have put him at 26th last season)
4.6 Tds (good enough to be 57th last year)

First of all, one of those guys who would be ahead of Jackson would be ... Jackson.

Secondly, there are 32 number one WRs in the NFL. Add the #2s and you're looking at 64 spots. If Jackson's career yardage average would put him at 26th ... that's really really good for a #2 WR. It's better than six of the #1 WRs. There's nothing mediocre about that. And that's minus his best year, of course. I'd like to note that, with one or two exceptions, if you removed any random player's best season and then averaged out his stats, he's going to look fairly average. 'Not elite' does not automatically equal 'mediocre for a second option.'

What some of us have taken issue with is your suggestion that he wouldn't even be a good second receiver. I don't think anyone on this board would even suggest that Jackson would be brought in to be our top WR.

Again, Jackson, straight up, would be a great second WR. It's his head that's the question mark.

I may kick my dog if we sign this asshole. He's a shitty little prick, there is nothing redeeming about him in the slightest. He will make rooting for my favorite team a little bit harder, and coming off a miserable 3-13 season, I need more help than that. I will cheer around him if he is in burgundy and gold, but never for him.

McD hit it for me. From everything the experts say, this draft class is stupid deep in WR. Why waste valuable cap space on a complete tool? Go draft our own guy.

I may kick my dog if we sign this asshole. He's a shitty little prick, there is nothing redeeming about him in the slightest. He will make rooting for my favorite team a little bit harder, and coming off a miserable 3-13 season, I need more help than that. I will cheer around him if he is in burgundy and gold, but never for him.

McD hit it for me. From everything the experts say, this draft class is stupid deep in WR. Why waste valuable cap space on a complete tool? Go draft our own guy.

Now this is a post I can get behind. :)

It's interesting...I've been on Twitter all day and also scanned a lot of posts on *cough* 'other boards'...We are by far in the minority here not wanting Jackson. Most Redskins fans appear ready to cross their fingers, pay this guy what he wants to get paid, and hope for the best...

Not sure why the prevailing winds on BGO are starkly different, but that appears to be the case...

Love that post James. Only *counter argument* I can think of is - LOTS of WRs are NFL starters, until they get to the NFL that is... Of all the positions, other than QB, it may be toughest to project which WRs are going to be impact players and which aren't. I have very little confidence in our scouting department's ability to find a future starter at WR in the draft. Look at our history of success doing so. The ONLY success we've had finding WRs has been in free agency. Period.

So there's that...

Granting you that, because it is a fair and good point, I still wouldn't sign him. The risk/reward ratio is out of whack for me. We gain the possibility of a second 1000 yard receiver (maybe), and a guy who is incredibly dangerous every time he touches the ball in space. We also gain a player with a history of injury concerns, and severe off field concerns, at a high cost against the salary cap (presumably).

ORRRRRR, we could take a shot on a kid coming out of school, at a fraction (and a small one at that) of the cost. True, the opportunity cost of taking a WR instead of OLine or whatever is something to consider. But if this draft is as deep as everyone claims it is, we should be in good shape. And if we aren't, and that guy flames out, we'll draft someone else in a year or two.

But if douche-an (I love it too, K) flames out, causes a locker room crisis, gets arrested because he's a brain-dead idiot or whatever, we've potentially lost a lot more, much of which is more difficult to quantify than a draft pick.

Plus, if I'm being honest, my main objection is that he's an asshole. He's a punk, and I can't see myself ever truly giving in and rooting for him. And that sucks. I love this team. I really do. And I hate having guys on the team that hinder my ability to love the team because they're douche-canoes.

(as a side note, this may be the most disjointed post I've ever posted. I've typed it during the insane end of the Michigan/KY game. Crazy)

Some relieving news, if true.

Kansas City pulls out of the hunt for Desean Jackson due to limited cap space.

DeSean Jackson won't sign with Kansas City Chiefs - NFL.com

From the article:

While the Chiefs were intrigued, their limited salary-cap space would not have allowed them to match the budding open market, Rapoport added Sunday.

Look I hate the guy as much if not more than most of you. If he can do to Dallas what he has done to us in the past... And we don't mortgage the farm for him... I'd be able to root for him. I'm not happy about it but if he's on our team he gets a shot from me. Shit-man I've even come to not hate D'Angelo Hall as much lately. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Look I hate the guy as much if not more than most of you. If he can do to Dallas what he has done to us in the past... And we don't mortgage the farm for him... I'd be able to root for him. I'm not happy about it but if he's on our team he gets a shot from me. Shit-man I've even come to not hate D'Angelo Hall as much lately. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This is exactly where I'm at. I've hated him on the Eagles, because he talked shit and then backed it up. I hated facing him and wondering just how he was going to emasculate us next.

I'm thrilled he is no longer an Eagle and that tells me something. That, for the right deal, players like that on my team have been very few and far between. And I want one.

So a general question for those in favor of signing Douche-an, what does "the right price" mean? What's the tipping point at which the deal is no longer worth it?

If we could get him for #2 money, I could live with it. I guess.

4 mil a year or so, cut-freindly after a couple years in case he doesn't work out ... that sort of deal.

If I hear 7 mil a year with gobs of guaranteed money I will be ... displeased.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I went with 'prefer not to but wait and see'.

I only kinda 'know' him as a player, good to great talent with an in-your-face cocky attitude and potential game changer. I suppose we could use one of these.

What I don't know is the person, the wisdom of the internet suggests that the kid is a baggage car. What this would do for 'team chemistry', perception of front office, direction of the team and fan's feel goodness is hard for me to judge but I will admit to being more than a little antsy about it.

The talent-at-any-cost-circus is hopefully a thing of the past so if we do sign the guy, it most likely will be with eyes wide open and reasonable for both sides of the deal.

Funny, because I just got through watching ESPN's John Clayton, and he did not even list the Redskins, in his Top 7 possible landing spots for DJ

Washington Redskins favorites to land DeSean Jackson? - NFL Spin Zone - A General NFL Blog providing you all the NFL News, Rumors, Updates, and National Football League News.

ESPN’s John Clayton reported on SportsCenter that the Washington Redskins are the front-runners for DeSean Jackson, as they would like to stick it to the rival Eagles twice a year, have him as a playmaker, and they seem to be willing to spend more than anyone else on him. The Redskins have plenty of cap space to make a move as do the Raiders, but it’s becoming clear that the Redskins are more willing to spend that money.

Ever since the rumors of the Redskins interest in Jackson first surfaced yesterday, things have heated up to an entirely new level. Right now, they are indeed the favorites, and this report from Clayton tells us that we need to keep especially close eyes peeled on Snyder, Bruce Allen, and the Redskins organization. An offense of Garcon, Reed, RG3, Jackson, and Alfred Morris would be very dangerous.

Is it possible that what you were watching was recorded on Friday? NFL Countdown/NFL Access or something like that?

Seeing as how he is flying into DC tomorrow, that would be my guess.

I'd like to note that, with one or two exceptions, if you removed any random player's best season and then averaged out his stats, he's going to look fairly average.
Random players, yes. Above average or top notch players? Nope. I can probably name at least a dozen players playing right now, who if you remove their best season, they'd still have above average numbers. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Wes Welker, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald........and that's just off the top of my head.

The only thing he has been consistent at is catching 50-something passes a year, 4TDs, and under 1,000 yards throughout his career so far. The fact that some Redskins fans think that makes him a great option doesn't speak to his talent level so much as it does the fact we've sucked so bad at the position for over 20 years, that anything more than 25 catches seems appealing to some.

There's a reason teams aren't tripping over each other to have a shot at him, and it isn't just because he might have mental problems, because many many teams overlook that and they have no interest in him either - even the ones who need a receiver.

What some of us have taken issue with is your suggestion that he wouldn't even be a good second receiver. I don't think anyone on this board would even suggest that Jackson would be brought in to be our top WR.
I never said he would be brought in to be our top guy. This is just a comment people keep making based on something I never actually said. I said he will probably want top spot money, and us being us, we will probably give it to him and he isn't worth it. I also pointed out that he thinks he's a #1 WR. That's not saying he would be our top guy, that's foolish.

As far as not thinking he would be a good #2, it's because he wouldn't be. Not at the cost when the draft is 3 miles deep in crazy WR talent, and not with the drama that wouldn't be absolutely guaranteed if he comes here. Distractions cause problems for the best teams, imagine what a distraction would do to this team. Then there's his inevitable toddler-like fits he would throw when Garcon puts up another 100+, while Jackson would cry like TO about not getting the ball enough, which he has a history of doing anyway. Then he would attack/blame Griffin, Griffin would throw to him even less, and the DeSean Jackson saga would take center stage in D.C., and it would all be happening while he wasn't producing and being a waste of space.

Again, Jackson, straight up, would be a great second WR. It's his head that's the question mark.
That's the beauty of opinions. You're asserting that he'd be great as if it's a certainty. I don't even think he would be ok. Not compared to what we could get at a lower cost both financially and drama-wise.

People keep throwing in Santana's name, even though it has no bearing on Jackson. But, to address it, I don't think Santana sucks. I also never said Jackson sucks. Santana isn't a #1 receiver, I don't know anyone who ever thought he was. He was more like a fast #2 with smarts, who was forced into a #1 role for years. He consistently overplayed his abilities with his speed and brains, and there's nothing wrong with that. His numbers have done nothing but prove he was never really a #1 guy. The difference is, he knows this. Jackson doesn't. Jackson thinks he's an elite receiver, and his ego will make him ask for #1 money, or loads of guaranteed money. He just doesn't have the talent or brains for what we will probably **** up and give him if he comes here.

Jackson having average numbers in a pass happy league only further solidifies my views on him. That, and he's a massive asshat.

Hey Nobody, don't let your dislike for your perception of the man's character interfere with your ability to process truth. Like him or not, Jackson is an elite talent in the NFL, and would be a perfect compliment for Garcon. Jackson's ability to stretch the field would open things up tremendously for Garcon, Reed, and company. There are very few guys that can stretch the field like he can, and he's made huge plays at critical times throughout his career. There's just no denying his ability, no matter how much you dislike the guy.

Also, Jackson's supposed perception that he deserves elite money is really irrelevant at this point as the market will demand what kind of contract he gets, and the free agent market hasn't being producing many huge contracts this year because of the deep draft class, especially at receiver.

There is no reason to believe the Redskins are going to give Jackson a huge contract considering how they have been handling their business all year, and that they don't have to cap space to overpay him anyways. If Jackson wants to get over-paid, maybe he'll go to the Raiders, which seems like a really good fit btw. If he wants to stay in the NFC East, and play with a young, up and coming QB like RG3, maybe he will take a reasonable contract to play with the Skins.

I've always thought Jackson was kind of a punk as well, but if wants to play for the Skins for a fair price, and is willing to work hard and wants to win, I say sign him up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.