• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Garden Time

For the first time since, I don't know when, I did not have a single ripe tomato by the 4th. I have, however, enjoyed a handful or two of jalapeno's.

But I am longing for that first 'mater sammich of the season.

Did you plant late or your weather not cooperating?

Both. Planted a little later than I normally do. But the bigger problem was the cool, wet, early part of spring. Right after planting.

So how is everyone's crops going? Mine is meh, some stuff bloomed some didn't. My tomatoes are literally 50/50 with some red but real mushy. Idk maybe it's too early to worry yet.

For all of you in the USA.

Florafelt Vertical Garden Systems

Free shipping to mainland USA.

Worth a thought for all those restricted to space or living in an apartment.

Another option for those who have to look at a wooden fence is to screw plastic bottles to the fence and make your own vertical garden. What you do is punch a hole in the cap, then turn the bottle upside down and cut the bottom off. The hole in the cap will drain away the excess water (place another bottle underneath?) whereas the open end will allow you access to whatever you decide to plant.

You could try this: How to Grow Tomatoes Upside Down: 7 Steps (with Pictures)

or this: Growing Strawberries in Hanging Containers

As a matter of fact, you could try whatever pleases your palette. Nothing but trial and error, and you get the end results for your own use.

Last edited:
I had some success with everything but my lettuce...but there was something in my soil that made everything taste just a little bitter, except my beans and squash. My carrots were good sized, but again they were slightly bitter. I gave it a shot in the existing beds, but will be creating new ones next year. I chalk it up to learning experience.

Almost that time again! Anyone gonna try something new to grow this season?

It's not garden related really but I've decided I want some apple trees in the yard. Gonna have to figure a way to keep the forrest camels from eating them all.

I spent all of yesterday trying to get my garden going. Very late start and for the first time, had to use all store bought plants as I could not get it together to grow my own indoors this year as I usually do. I was able to prep and plant four 50 foot rows yesterday (in addition to a row of potatoes) with tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and cucumbers. I will also plant a variety of pole beans and some specialty squashes in the next several weeks.

Today I work on the raised bed herb garden.

With the squirrels and rabbits eating so much of our plants been thinking about doing just herbs this year.

About half-size garden this year, looking pretty good so far. Potatoes, tomatoes, hot peppers, eggplant, beans, cukes, and okra. Also trying something different this year. My tiller broke before I could turn the rest of my soil. I covered that half of the garden plot with thick plastic sheeting and on top of it put about 12 fifty lb bags of Black Kow compost . I put drainage holes in the bottoms of the bag and cut holes in the top for squash and melon seeds. So far they are growing quickly. I'm curious to see if there's enough manure in the bag to keep the plants moist/watered throughout the summer or if the heat of mid-summer fries them.

I foresee a Netflix episode on Boone, from this show in the upcoming future.

70305475.jpg

Last edited:
If my wife were willing I'd already be living off the grid :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been almost 12 months since my last input here, but as we are well in to winter and nothing much grows (except weeds!), the only thing we have an abundance of is dog poo! A couple of months should see things pick up and it will be time to try things again.

Just about time y'all. Hope errrbody's getting their seedlings ready to go.

This year we've got a good pepper focus going, & we're gonna start canning too. Last couple years we just ate off the vine since it was a small crop.

Just about time y'all. Hope errrbody's getting their seedlings ready to go.

This year we've got a good pepper focus going, & we're gonna start canning too. Last couple years we just ate off the vine since it was a small crop.

I am going to have to pass on a garden again this year. Been having serious physical problems and am dealing with too much pain to handle the labor.

That sucks man, but health is way more important though.

1 row unless designated:

1Pumpkin plant
1 watermelon plant (not doing well)
2 rows of corn
broccoli
cauliflower
2 rows of green beans
10 tomato plants
cucumbers
zucchini
yellow squash
kale
Spinach (died)
carrots
lettuce

Lettuce already has been cut up on at least 2 of the heads and used for salads...SO good. Green beans are already getting beans on them. Zucchini are coming in. Carrots have huge tops. Tomatoes are starting to grow maters.

1594726234414.png

I've been hoeing nightly. I hoe all the time now. I hoe so much that my wife asks me if its my full time job. But, you gotta hoe!

Everything is coming in nicely. We got advice on how to can/pickle our cucumbers/peppers/beans and will freeze corn as it comes in.

I am really hoping the watermelon starts to bloom soon and the pumpkins actually survive. would be really neat to have the boys carve the pumpkins from their own yard.

PM me an email address and I’ll give you some tips. One thing to mention, corn will only pollinate if it’s planted in ‘blocks’ of significant size. It is mostly wind pollinated so does generally result in half the kernels not growing. If you are going to plant it, do it with at least 4 rows to form a square or rectangular area so it has a better chance to pollinate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.